Decline of Baseops.net (aka The Wrath of PYB/Mods gone wild)

Guest CannonCrashPad

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/150249-Take-care-Shaggy-I-m-out-Targeting-Family-Members-of-Friends-is-Not-Kosher#post7132590

Issues. See any parallels? I thought this board was giving him a hard time until reading that thread. Brutality.

Confirms exactly what I thought...

EDIT: Actually confirms a couple things, one being that we need to up our game.

Edited by Spoo

Ah yes, his "free forum of ideas" where he is the only one posting "ideas". Apparently he's calling BODN mods "obssessive"? Is that hypocrisy or irony?

PYB, when you read this, pleese noate, Eye wont bee visiting you're creepy sight anymore. Maybe you cane pass massages through USAFPilot.

Edited by Spoo

What kills me is the fact that PYB's entire site is dedicated to harassing Tony Carr. Tony Carr, a retired family man, studying at Harvard, who hosts a blog which he has admitted is primarily a vehicle with which to hone his writing and argumentative skills. The secondary effects of his writings have rallied a good number of folks who care about the state of the Air Force to comment thus furthering his primary cause.

This whole thing resembles a 4th grade playground rivalry that has lingered on for a few decades too long in the small mind of this PYB character. In any case, it makes for good reading on BODN. I look forward to M2 reposting the post statistics chart to include October.

• Upvote 1

Agree with others... BaseOps.net is a damn good resource. It got me from high school to a fighter, and I learned a lot about not being a douchebag along the way. I would hazard a guess that there are many other people who also found their way through this website. There have been many times when I've disagreed with others on this site, and there are times I've seen moderators step out of line (in my opinion), but on the whole, I think the site is generally trending in the right direction.

Locking down the forums would only kill discussion. It wouldn't encourage it.

The personal and misogynistic attacks on any woman who's picture is shown on this website is a little much, but I guess this is one of the last places a he-man woman haters club can exist. Either way, freedom of speech is more important than someone getting their feelings hurt by comments on the internet.

And for what it's worth, I've been reading these forums since 03 (migrated from studentpilot.net).

Edited by Seriously

Been lurking on this thread for a few days, getting a few good laughs, eating popcorn, etc. Finally clicked on the link over to MM's FB page...What a nut job. Spent about five minutes over there and I think I need some counseling now.

Been lurking on this thread for a few days, getting a few good laughs, eating popcorn, etc. Finally clicked on the link over to MM's FB page...What a nut job. Spent about five minutes over there and I think I need some counseling now.

Glad I'm not the only one. Thought about calling a counselor from Military One Source :)...anyway, this has definitely made for an interesting read about some very interesting people.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

I thought he was all about personal liberty? Decisions have consequences.

Well, it was a FB post he started referencing the Occupy Wall Street thread from three years ago, and how every person who said we should drop weapons on them was violating their oath.

Well, it was a FB post he started referencing the Occupy Wall Street thread from three years ago, and how every person who said we should drop weapons on them was violating their oath.

Of course, I forgot how mentally stable people would be obsessing over a tongue-in-cheek conversation from 3 years ago.

But wrt American citizens going to fight for ISIS: go for it, but going into a known combat zone to join a group in said combat and known to be targeted by the US, I wouldn't expect the bombs to discriminate between me and the next guy. Technique only.

Kind of a sidetrack, has anyone seen The Falcon and the Snowman?

Yes, great movie. I have been trying for years to figure out how to make Margaritas using the paper shredder.

I can't get rid of the tiny bits of paper and a slight hint of oil.

But this whole thing reminds me of Sean Penn's progression in the movie.

Yeah that page doesn't scream mental illness at all

Depressingly one of the dudes in my squadron is in his personal FB friends list

What the over/under on how many jars of his own piss are lining the walls of his blogging basement? Does this dude go full-bore batshit at work too, Or exclusively on the Internet? (Armored dorkmobile notwithstanding)

I can't imagine a guy with his "passion" for being Constitutional Jesus hasn't induced some feverish eye-rolling around the water cooler at his squadron.

My wife just asked me what I was so intently reading & I didn't even know where to start.

"Well honey, there's this guy who is in the Air Force by day, but at night he gets in his armored Mitsubishi Eclipse and combats imaginary Constitutional slights & talks to himself online a lot. He's basically a schizophrenic batman."

I can't even describe how hard I laughed at your post in reference to this entire thread/the antics of said person on this forum and others over the years.

WRT the decline of the site, this forum has helped me in many ways over the years and have improved my performance as both an aircrew member and an officer. If nothing else, I've honed my ability to be kicked squarely in the nuts (deservedly) and get back up to fight another day. God speed BO.net.

And with all honesty and sincerity, Rick Rynearson, you likely need mental health counseling before you hurt yourself or someone else. I hope your retirement will bring you some measure of peace and stability.

A few things I've learned/observed in my 30+ years of adulthood and 25+ years since being commisioned:

1. Military aviation requires near absolute precision and professionlism in planning, briefing, execution, and debriefing. I have never met a single officer (I know and have worked for many who are now or became GO's) who could maintain that high level in all facets of their careers and at all times. People need balance. Flyers need a forum where they can let loose. It used to be the Auger Inn at Randolph AFB (not sure if it still is). Mather AFB had their famous JOC night. Reese AFB had the Smokin' Hole. Eielson had the "Club". Many squadrons had their own bars, like Moody's at Red Flag. These were/are places where aviators could go, be irreverent, be bawdy, be undisciplined, and be on a somewhat level field with leadership. How many here have seen their Wing CC with sleeves rolled up having a beer or playing crud or smoking a stogie? When you do, at that moment he is one of you. How often does that happen now? Probably not much. Base Ops offers a welcome alternative to places that are mostly long gone. The squadron bar has replaced the squadron bars and O'Clubs and the NSFW forums have replaced the doofer books.

2. When a dude walks into a bar looking for a fight, he will most likely find it while lookling like a jackass. He will look it even more when he gets indignant when he gets his ass kicked.

3. When someone thinks they are in the midst of assholes, they probably should take a step back and think about who the common denominator is.

4. Differing opinons are usually heard when offered in a credible well thought out manner. It is possible to be right in one's opinion, but completely wrong headed in expressing it (being an ass about it). That usually tunes people out. Joseph McCarthy was right about Communists in government and Hollywood, but was such an ass that he was marginalized and eventually not heard. The louder one yells while trying to force their views on others, the deeper the fingers go into the ears of those who are subjected to the rant. At some point it morphs from peers hearing a guy expressing an opinion to peers seeing that guy being a jackass. Then the focus is no longer on the opinion, but on the jackass It is good to know when that point is reached.

5. A small dose of humility goes a long way. One does not compromise their integrity by allowing that they may be wrong about something or that they made a mistake. I've seen commanders fess up in a debrief and they won lots of respect points by doing so. I've seen a Red Flag deployed forces commander sit himself down for not maintaining his altitude block. Good on him. I've also seen or heard of commanders who tried to ignore obvious mistakes to save face. They came across as jackasses. If a person communicates to others in a condesending fashion, they can expect likewise, regardless if their point if valid. Example of humility - my spelling sucks, so I'm sure there is a mistake somewhere in this post.

I believe we grow intellectually stale if we only expose ourselves to things with which we agree and believe differing views are welcome here when offered in a credible fashion. . One needs to have thick skin and be willing and able to defend one's differeing view. One garners respect when one does that when challenged instead of reacting with a tantrum. Again, the issue then morphs from a differing viewpoint to a jackass having a tantrum.

Enjoy the forums guys (and Mustache Sally). Keep posting and I'll keep reading.

Regards,

RF

Edited by Red Fox
  • Upvote 22

NOW this thread has run its course and will be closed. At this point we're nothing except giving PYB/CCP more of the attention he craves. Until he returns in another form (new user name), we're going to shut this down.

• Upvote 3