Apparently having "good hands" no longer matters....

I only flew with her a handful of times but she was a good pilot and instructor.

Also I wasn't aware going on a XC a weekend a month to nice places and partying it up was so bad and was considered being gone a lot.

as a former student of hers, I'll say she was a very hard working FAIP and a scheduler, long after the other FAIPs had turned on the beer light she would still be working hard to get the schedule sorted out. She did such a great job we only flew one weekend the entire phase 3, where other flights were sending out 2-3 sorties a weekend. She was also a good instructor.

As for treating studs like children....red headed step children is more accurate. Generally a nice person but had the USAFA, female something to prove attitude.

Sooo.. was she hot?

• Upvote 4

I'm a T-1 guy at CBM and it's amusing to see the perspective difference between FAIPs and MWS dudes. FAIPs tend to thing it is a bad deal, and MWS dudes tend to think it's the best deal ever! I think she's in for a rude awakening. I give her less than a year in the "real" world before she is LONGING for a return to the easy life and freedom of the schoolhouse.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite
  • Upvote 1

as a former student of hers, I'll say she was a very hard working FAIP and a scheduler, long after the other FAIPs had turned on the beer light she would still be working hard to get the schedule sorted out. She did such a great job we only flew one weekend the entire phase 3, where other flights were sending out 2-3 sorties a weekend. She was also a good instructor.

As for treating studs like children....red headed step children is more accurate. Generally a nice person but had the USAFA, female something to prove attitude.

Ugh...

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- this reliance on automation has a direct negative impact on pilot skills, and when that automation goes away (and it always will at some point) what is left is the skills you may or may not have. Reference Air France 447 and tons of ATC deviations because automation let the crew down.

An analogy I use with students is a guy going out and buying an AR and putting a $500 optic on it right away, never learning how to shoot with iron sights. Yes the optic makes it a lot easier to shoot, until the batteries run out and you're left with iron sights. That is what determines if you are a marksman or whether you can simply push a button and get a banana. The same holds true for pilots.

PS: If she's only training post-trans students to rely on the autopilot/FMS she's doing it wrong. I regularly turn off the MFD on my students and force them to use their instruments/hand flying for approaches.

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite
  • Upvote 2

Though it is indignant for the peanut gallery to hear such utterance from booger eating FAIPs and however easy it is to discredit their perspective due to lack of exposure (not their fault mind you), the jist of the argument is about right. I have met plenty of mediocre hands, some outright scary, I've had to seeing-eye help/rescue in the jet who have cleaner FEFs than mine. Being good on test day doesn't mean you're good.

It's lowest common denominator fellas. Hands don't really mean shit past a nominal threshold of performance. Which is why FEFs and OPRs aren't reflective of an aviator's net daily skillset. In Blue's defense, the job is designed for all of us to be carbon copies of each other, just like the airlines, so individual differences in mechanical aptitude for flying don't mean one iota nor are recognized or awarded, outside a few niche special flying programs that require overt demonstration of above-average ability in order to get in.

As to the rest of the article. Man, those two sound beat down, especially the T-1 chick. Talk about soul-crushing sour grapes. Somebody send these two a "3 rules of life" postcard with rule #1 highlighted in neon yellow. So, other people undeservingly get better deals than you...Um, welcome to Life?? Could be worse, she could be on a RC box watching her nail polish dry (is that comment degrading to women? lol). The power of perspective...

Wrong. Young guys, pay no attention to this.

• Upvote 1

I regularly turn off the MFD on my students and force them to use their instruments/hand flying for approaches.

The dreaded "you have to fly it on steam gauges" approach. Scary stuff.

Kind of like the T-38C "no HUD" approach & landing. I'm sure it has stymied many a great pilot.

Or the "I've failed your primary GPS,... you'll have to use the secondary nav system to find your way." No WAY we would want to use a sectional chart. That's craaazy.

Every Air Force flying unit should have a Companion Trainer. And it should probably be a piston-powered aircraft that has only one instrument in the cockpit: an oil pressure gauge about 4 inches in diameter, smack in the middle of the panel.

• Upvote 5

Overheard two T-1 studs in the sim building snack bar a month or two ago:

Shitpants 1- "I'm gonna try to do some hand flying today..."

Shitpants 2- "Yeah bro! Me too. I haven't actually flown the jet since transition, and somehow got 50 kts slow on that climbout yesterday..."

Every Air Force flying unit should have a Companion Trainer. And it should probably be a piston-powered aircraft that has only one instrument in the cockpit: an oil pressure gauge about 4 inches in diameter, smack in the middle of the panel.

Excellent idea, and I might add that it should be a Super Decathlon or Maule. Get those feet off the floor and have some tailwheel fun!

Most of the GA world is heading down the same path as the Air Force. G1000s in every cockpit, three-axis autopilot in C-172s...the era of pilotage and dead reckoning is coming to an end for many. Hell, I used to fly a 152 that I thought was fancy because it had VOR/DME/ADF. Send the average pilot (civilian or military) out for a DME arc or NDB hold with no GPS and watch what happens.

• Upvote 2