US KC-135 Down - Kyrgyzstan

CNN is reporting people saw a chute. Doubtful it's reliable but let's hope.

Based on the pictures, I suspect what they saw was a piece of aircraft structure "floating" down, not a chute. Clearly the aircraft came apart in the air (based on pictures of the boom, vertical stabilizer, and wing structure substantally separated from the main crash site), but the question to be answered is why? Fatigue? Excessive loads from CAT? Excessive loads from improper aircrew input? The board will figure that out. Interesting picture items...it appears the flaps were still partially down on the right wing segment (still close to departure end?), and the relatively limited amount of apparent damage to the rudder attachment points on the vertical stab (although there could be more damage on the other side, or seen from the rear).

Edited by HiFlyer

HiFlyer,

They should have been clean based upon where it happened. You have to meet the Altitude restiction or perform a right 270 to be above the mountians. There were also no burn marks on the other pieces as well indicating a breakup in flight. Sad day for the EARS.....

Crew was from my old squadron. I knew the Boom and AC.

Him Him :beer:

Damn, that is heartbreaking. Hang in there.

Perhaps we will toast to them this evening. I'm buying.

Anyone else feel an overwhelming urge to punch that dude in the face standing on the vertical stab?

Knowing Krgys cops he was probably looking for a survivor to charge a landing fee or shake down the photographer.

• Upvote 3

God help tanker leadership if it turns out a parachute would have given someone a chance. I remember them taking them off to save weight. A couple hundred pounds?? We were in disbelief.

I'll be a squarepatcher forever and am looking for any kind of fund for the families.

More than parachutes being at issue, the DoD is flying these planes DECADES beyond their original lifespan. 12 years of constant combat air refueling has taken the life out of these planes. This was a 1963 model. 1963. And 1963 is a relatively new bird.

Godspeed to the crew and a toast.

• Upvote 1

“I was working with my father in the field, and I heard an explosion,” said Sherikbek Turusbekov. “When I looked up at the sky I saw the fire. When it was falling, the plane split into three pieces.”

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/us-military-plane-crashes-in-kyrgyzstan-1.219366

I know it's not likely, but a MANPAD may still be on the table. God speed.

Looking at the vertical stab, just wondering how far from the crash scene it is and also the rudder which was missing. Only 2 milk bottle pins hold the the stab on the jet, if the bushings were worn I bet this jet would have had autopilot problems of constantly kicking off but unable to duplicate in the chocks.Seen it before. Also the rudder actuator could cause a stab departure if defective. Uncommanded input. Old pilot told me once you can land without a vertical stab but could not takeoff.

God help tanker leadership if it turns out a parachute would have given someone a chance. I remember them taking them off to save weight. A couple hundred pounds?? We were in disbelief. I'll be a squarepatcher forever and am looking for any kind of fund for the families.

The River Rats are already working to get in contact with the CAOC/FLO's to establish 529 accounts for any children left behind.

I'll post info when/if we get permission from surviving spouses to proceed.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

Rode with this crew out to the jet this morning. Sobering moment.

All of you at Manas are in my thoughts. I've been through this before...studied and planned with a flight school buddy then we took off as a flight to Tac X LZ (in UH-1s) and he and his crew bought it in a farm field near the LZ.

I wish you all the best, and I'll be toasting the crew this weekend.

CNN is reporting people saw a chute. Doubtful it's reliable but let's hope.

I read an article that said that as well as people reporting "ejector seats." Unless there's a new model of tanker out there I don't know about....