National Air Cargo 747 Crash at Bagram

TacAirCoug

Probably worked that tail number numerous times when it passed through OAMS which goes hand in hand with knowing the crew members. They have been moving allot of MRAPS out of theater and other up armored vehicles putting them on cookie sheets compared to a 463L pallet. RIP.

We just had a crew in there who watched the jet arrive. They were stuck for awhile waiting on the winds to die down. He was the only heavy who managed to land when the winds were called 100@29G42. Several aircraft had declared fuel emergencies because the winds were terrible everywhere. Shortly before, they think they saw a downburst hit on the approach end to 03.

Grapevine speculation on over rotation, I would look hard at the form F , the TCN's they have loading are not known for following standards. Maybe a load shift to aft CG.

Apparently there were a lot of witnesses...reports are that the nose went "near vertical" and it came "straight back down".

Don't forget the Class A out of Kandahar too...when I worked SEF out there it was common for the two safety offices to help each other out.

http://theloadstar.co.uk/breaking-news-national-air-cargo-crash-at-bagram/

This article echoes Huey's comments, but the most chilling part is the description at the bottom from one of the commenters who apparently witnessed the accident:

I witnessed this crash today and there was no Taliban involvement. I can tell you this for sure – the 747 took off and commenced a quite steep climb out, not unusual for here, then one of two things happened. In my opinion either the strong head wind or a micro up burst caused it to pitch upward at what looked to be at least 85deg. Nose up or the cargo shifted to the rear and caused it to nose up. It then did what all swept wing aircraft do in a stall and pitched left at about 1200 Ft AGL, then it seemed like the pilot tried to correct and it pitched right and headed for the ground just before impact. It looked like it had flattened out to nearly level but had very little or no forward speed – what followed was the ground shook, followed by a large ball of fire and a huge black cloud of smoke. I truly wish I had not seen this, but I did, and my prayers and thoughts go out to all involved – both on board and the family and loved ones of the crew and passengers.

All it takes is one tie down not done correctly. At OAMS I've seen USAF ATOC personnel walk away from a NAC bird due to some shady stuff being done refusing to be part of it to protect themselves.

• Upvote 1

Video of the crash from a dashcam is up now on liveleak.com. It is not easy to watch.

ETA: Looking at the video, all of the eyewitness accounts I've read were spot on. Looks like load shift could be the culprit. Those poor guys had way too much time to realize what was about to happen to them. So sad.

Edited by TacAirCoug

That literally makes my stomach turn. Cold shivers. Damn.

Dont' take it for granted fellas...this is a serious business. Keep your wits about you.

Godspeed to the victims, families, and friends.

:jd::beer:

• Upvote 1