Columbus AFB Information

Tex

This is my first PCS (DITY) so please excuse my inexperience.

I'll have a 14' Uhaul with a car in tow behind, moving in to base housing. I have never been to CBM so my question is if there is a specific gate I should use to enter the base due to the size of my rental and vehicle? Not really wanting to try and back everything up by showing up at the wrong gate.

Additionally, do I need to contact security forces ahead of time because I'm moving stuff?

Thanks for any help

-Chem

-No to contacting SFS. They're used to trucks showing up all the time with stuff for AAFES, UPS, etc. and will search it if needed when you get there.

-It's been a few years, but you should be just fine going through the main gate. Keep in mind if you try to go through the aux gate that it closes early-ish (like 1800-2000, I think). Not a lot of room to turn around a truck towing a car, so I'd stick with the main gate personally.

-Since it's your first DITY, don't forget to get empty and full weights. This includes having the car you're towing weighed both empty and with your stuff in it, as you can get paid for having stuff in the car. That, and most commercial CAT scales will let you re-weigh within 24 hours for free. FWIW.

Thank you so much for the information. In the unlikely event, then, that I get an offer for Magnolia or State- which one would you pick?

I'm looking at the housing website and it mentions: Capital, Magnolia, and State. Any chance that they changed the name from Audobon Cove to one of those so I know which to avoid? Thanks for your help!

I would pick Magnolia. They're the newest on base. Parts of state look a little dilapidated. Capitol isn't that bad, but having spoken to others who lived there, I think I had an above average experience. If given a do over, I would take capitol again. Living on base was worth it. Also, Capitol is the prettiest neighborhood as far as landscaping and scenery are concerned.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Anyone know what it costs an 0-3 to send a child to Heritage or Annunciation for kindergarten? Would they provide financial aid?

Edited by Go Falcons

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what it costs an 0-3 to send a child to Heritage or Annunciation for kindergarten? Would they provide financial aid?

Rank has no factor in what the private schools charge.

Heritage is $5K per kid for the school year, K thru 6. They do offer a half day for K-4 (< $5K) but not sure if they have a half day for normal kindergarten....there is a $500 multi kid discount. No idea about financial aid...I would think not because they typically have no problem filling the classrooms.

Columbus Christian is $4500 per kid with a $700 multi kid discount. No idea about financial aid.

Annunciation Catholic is about $4500 as well. It is the school farthest away from the base. No idea about financial aid.

• 2 years later...
10 minutes ago, Fly4five said:

I'll be headed to Columbus soon. What time does the day generally start? I'm trying to figure out housing and how early I'd have to leave depending on where I live and when we report in every morning.

When your casual, most jobs 8ish, unless you get a shitty gig. UPT? its not a 9-5 desk job. Some mornings you will be there at 3,4,5 am. Sometimes you will show up at 2,3,4 pm to fly at night. Hours are never the same, except most days for the next year of your life will easily be 11-12 hour days. I lived on the north side of town, its about 10 mins to base. I also lived on base, you will be rolling the dice, the old houses suck, the new ones aren't bad. 

I recommend anywhere on the north side of town. Avoid the southern areas, especially the south east corner. Its the hood. 

• 9 months later...

Not a spouse but I will be going to UPT at Columbus supposedly this September.  This is a generic question for all of the UPTs but what should I do in regards to a car.  I am coming from California and not planning on driving there as I will fly into local airport.  Does it make sense to have a car while at UPT if you are living at the base?  Am I correct I would definitely need one if I  live off base?

For those who fly, how do you get from the airport to the base if you dont have a car. Uber would seem to be pricey and if I were to rent a car at the airport, would there be somewhere in Columbus to return it to.?

At some point I am planning on getting a car, should I buy it in Columbus?  I am going to buy something cheap which I would want to get rid of once I graduate UPT.  Would it be easy to get rid of?   In other words, as graduates leave, do they sell their cars or other gear to new students?

14 hours ago, Jondaman4 said:

Not a spouse but I will be going to UPT at Columbus supposedly this September.  This is a generic question for all of the UPTs but what should I do in regards to a car.  I am coming from California and not planning on driving there as I will fly into local airport.  Does it make sense to have a car while at UPT if you are living at the base?  Am I correct I would definitely need one if I  live off base?

For those who fly, how do you get from the airport to the base if you dont have a car. Uber would seem to be pricey and if I were to rent a car at the airport, would there be somewhere in Columbus to return it to.?

At some point I am planning on getting a car, should I buy it in Columbus?  I am going to buy something cheap which I would want to get rid of once I graduate UPT.  Would it be easy to get rid of?   In other words, as graduates leave, do they sell their cars or other gear to new students?

Get a car.  It sounds like you're used to being able to travel in California via mass transit - that's not going to work at UPT bases.  Plus your schedule will vary - extremely early reports some days and late on others.  I've never heard of a student trying to buy a car only for UPT.  If you're coming on active duty, just buy a car and get it financed through USAA.

3 hours ago, Toro said:

It sounds like you're used to being able to travel in California via mass transit -

I would assume you have never been to California.  Outside of San Francisco, there is no mass transit in California.

My plan was to buy some little crappy car for UPT and buy something good once I graduate.  I appreciate the advice, but that still leaves the issue of how I get to Columbus AFB without car 

• Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jondaman4 said:

I would assume you have never been to California.  Outside of San Francisco, there is no mass transit in California.

My plan was to buy some little crappy car for UPT and buy something good once I graduate.  I appreciate the advice, but that still leaves the issue of how I get to Columbus AFB without car 

i see we've drastically lowered our standards already.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jondaman4 said:

uber.

Yeah there Cochise, I was actually born in California and lived there until I commissioned into the AF. I didn’t say BART, I said mass transit, which I used a good deal growing up because I didn’t have a car until I went into the AF. Maybe you should Google mass transit to see all that it encompasses other than BART.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Toro said:

Yeah there Cochise, I was actually born in California and lived there until I commissioned into the AF. I didn’t say BART, I said mass transit, which I used a good deal growing up because I didn’t have a car until I went into the AF. Maybe you should Google mass transit to see all that it encompasses other than BART.

I am from Los Angeles.  I was going to say there was no mass transit period in California and knew that someone would say that the transit system in SF is good.  However, I am from Los Angeles and while we do have a bus system and a relatively new subway system, for the most part we have no practical mass transit in Los Angeles and in most Southern California cities.  Sure If I  want to go to the Chinese theater or Downtown LA, I could take the subway, but 99% of the city isnt covered by it.  I have also been to NY and Boston and whatever they call mass transit in those cities, we dont have it in Californai and for sure we dont have it in  Los Angeles.

16 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

You are an adult, college graduate and officer in the USAF.  Buy a damn car, you future self with thank you.

Yes that was the plan.  The issue I was asking about was when to buy it because honestly I have no desire to drive 2000 miles in  a car.  The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

Yes that was the plan.  The issue I was asking about was when to buy it because honestly I have no desire to drive 2000 miles in  a car.  The desire not to drive for 2000 miles shouldnt make me less of an adult, a college graduate or an officer in the USAF

I agree. Strong opinions are the benchmark of a solid future USAF pilot. Be sure to keep a stiff upper lip and don’t be afraid to share your opinions at UPT. Your IP’s will recognize this and reward you above your peers. Stay strong!
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1