Columbus AFB Information

Tex

I live off base, and to be honest, commute is almost non-existant. It takes me 8-10 minutes to get from my front door to the squadron. I love being off base and most of my class that was in the dorms, is moving off.

Now for the guys that have families living on base, it can be hit or miss. If your only options are Capital Village, then I'd think long and hard about spending a year in those facilities. I haven't lived there, but have heard stories and they aren't the best. If you are able to swing a place at State or Magnolia, then you are in a tremendously better situation.

But if commute was your only concern, I'd say it shouldn't be one. And if you are wanting a few drinks with your bros at the club after work, your class can always buy a "Fun-Bus" to shuttle people back off base. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Edit:drinking related grammatical issues

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you a realotor NOT to use. Erma Sanders. She's old school racist & is more concerned with preserving the town of Columbus as she understands it than buying/selling real estate.

I know a few guys who used Doris Hardy (Century 21 I think) because she's affiliated w/ USAA and they had mostly positive things to say.

Same goes for Phillis Enis with Coldwell Banker - I heard good things but wasn't persinally involved.

• Upvote 1

I live off base, and to be honest, commute is almost non-existant. It takes me 8-10 minutes to get from my front door to the squadron. I love being off base and most of my class that was in the dorms, is moving off.

Now for the guys that have families living on base, it can be hit or miss. If your only options are Capital Village, then I'd think long and hard about spending a year in those facilities. I haven't lived there, but have heard stories and they aren't the best. If you are able to swing a place at State or Magnolia, then you are in a tremendously better situation.

But if commute was your only concern, I'd say it shouldn't be one. And if you are wanting a few drinks with your bros at the club after work, your class can always buy a "Fun-Bus" to shuttle people back off base. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Edit:drinking related grammatical issues

Do a lot of guys with families live off-base?

I'm not looking to buy AT ALL, so are there any decent family places to rent that are still close to base?

I know UPT is a lesson in maximizing available time, and this may be my wife's only chance to live on an AFB (Guard), so we're definitely leaning more toward on-base housing... However, I'd also like to have an idea of a back-up in case there is no housing available.

Do a lot of guys with families live off-base? I'm not looking to buy AT ALL, so are there any decent family places to rent that are still close to base? I know UPT is a lesson in maximizing available time, and this may be my wife's only chance to live on an AFB (Guard), so we're definitely leaning more toward on-base housing... However, I'd also like to have an idea of a back-up in case there is no housing available.

I think a lot of it comes down to housing availability and situation. In my class, there are 5 married guys, but only one has his family with him, and he is on base. In the class ahead of me, there were several people accompanied with their families who turned down Capital Village (their only choice) on base, because of the housing issues and moved off base.

As for places "close to base" that are family friendly, unless you like living in a trailer down by the river (or find a house on AHRN or go through a realtor to rent), then you are pretty much relegated to the apartments (Waverly, Franklin, etc.) or Audobon Cove about 8-10 minutes south of base off of 45.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone at Columbus right now be willing to take a couple pictures of the different housing areas and post them, or point me to where I can find some online?

All the pictures on the privatized website look very fancy and nice, but from things I've read online, it appears that they are neglecting to post pictures of the less-than-desirable accommodations (I guess that would primarily be Capitol?).

I saw the pictures on the baseops page, and they look pretty crappy, but someone said those haven't been updated since all the renovations occurred...

Help a brother out?

• 2 weeks later...

Any information on GA flying in the local area? I dont see anything about a base aero club ( I realize they are a dying breed) and only one flight school, Accessible Aviation, at KGTR. Any local clubs or places to rent a bug smasher for XC flying?

Edited by Daredevileng1

Any information on GA flying in the local area? I dont see anything about a base aero club (I realize they are a dying breed) and only one flight school, Accessible Aviation, at KGTR. Any local clubs or places to rent a bug smasher for XC flying?

Carl at Accessible Aviation is a good dude. I, along with 6-9 of my squadron mates have used Accessible Aviation to get our ATP ratings. While it is technically a flight school, I don't see why he wouldn't rent you an airplane after a local checkout (required for insurance)...after all, the airplane isn't making him money sitting in the hangar.

Give him a call an ask.

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone used a CBM local contractor/company for any of the following:

Granite countertops

Tile flooring

Removing wallpaper / interior painting

Any recommendations / reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 3 weeks later...

Just got direct tv and att uverse internet a couple days ago--I am on base. Heard from others att internet is just fine. The fastest they have on base is 6 mbps. Paying 24.95 per month with one year contract. Have heard mixed things about internet with cable one and the price was just too much for budget.

Was CHEAPER to do direct tv deal separate and not bundled with ATT. Also, if you have a Costco card still (or if you want to get one for 55) they are offering a 200 gift card if you sign up through them.

Edited by doubleu

Internet in regards to housing or UOQs?

CableOne in the dorms was terrible and more expensive. The plan I had also did a 50GB cap (which I went over). Had nice peak speeds, but was inconsistant after 1630 when everyones on quittin' time.

Switched to ATT, with the 12mbps plan and it has been consistant throughout any time of the week for less than $30/mo, supposably a 250GB, but I haven't checked it if I went over.

• 1 month later...
Anyone know of any good auto mechanics in C-Bus besides the overpriced dealerships?

If you're looking to get body work done, Bob's will give you a square deal. If you need a more mechanical job, there's a shop right outside the main gate (1st building on the left as you go south on 45, I can't remember the name) that does good work.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of working on cars, I was just looking at the resident guidelines, here:

http://www.columbusf...dent-guidelines

On page 5, under Motor Vehicles and Parking, it says:

The use of parking lots for any other purpose, such as parking or storage of

commercial vehicles, taxi cabs, limousines, boats, trailers, large trucks, buses, large motor homes, friends’

vehicles or repair of motor vehicles (including oil changes), is expressly prohibited anywhere in the

community (including private garages).

Does this mean you can't even change your oil in your own garage? Or does this just apply to parking lots?

I usually do my own car work, and I do everything myself on our motorcycles, so do they really not allow you to do anything in your own garage???

Edited by spaceman

Speaking of working on cars, I was just looking at the resident guidelines, here:

http://www.columbusf...dent-guidelines

On page 5, under Motor Vehicles and Parking, it says:

Does this mean you can't even change your oil in your own garage? Or does this just apply to parking lots?

I usually do my own car work, and I do everything myself on our motorcycles, so do they really not allow you to do anything in your own garage???

I can't answer that but it raised a question for me. Where is everyone keeping their boat?

Edited by MSE

When I was there, I kept my boat at 3 places....

1. On base. The Outdoor Rec offers on base storage (not covered) for about $20 a month

2. In my garage (primary)

3. Lake Tuscaloosa....several places

I had a 2008 Moomba Outback V, and another buddy who had a Malibu....and neither one of us would dare park or drive our boat on/near Lake Columbus. Lake Lowndes was a great option to drop in for a quick run or two. Tuscaloosa is worth it's weight in gold -- tow the boat(s) there, on the water all day, stayed at the Yellowhammer Inn (they have a marina), etc...

• 4 weeks later...

I can't answer that but it raised a question for me. Where is everyone keeping their boat?

We kept ours at the Columbus Marina on the Tombigbee. Cost us $65 a month for dry storage and then $10 everytime we wanted it in and out of the water. The only reason we didn't go to Tuscaloosa is b/c our boat was too big for the that lake. We have a 29' Mach 1 and I think Lake Tuscaloosa's max boat size is 24'.

Depending on the kind of boat you have/had would depend on if I'd drop it in the Tombigbee.

I had the Moomba Outback like I mentioned and wouldn't get it within a mile of the water from Lake Columbus -- way too much silt in the water, too many floating trees, etc.

It's an outstanding lake for fishing and took the fishing pontoon out there a few times - but any boat that you cherish shouldn't be taken on Lake Columbus.