Columbus AFB Information

Tex

Just now, Jondaman4 said:

Quibbling? Should we go look at each post and see how many were insults and how actually gave any real advice? It isn’t even close. This is how it went . Should I do A. No you should do B.  How about If i  do  C Instead?  Then the insults come and of course I won’t make it through UPT. Seems like an intelligent way to have a discussion 

Quibbling - argue or raise objections about a trivial matter.

Yep, doing exactly that.

Now consider for a moment, how many dudes you think will be turning up at Columbus in Sept from LA. How hard do you think it would be to figure out who you are? FAIPs love soul crushing, and they don't have much else to do where these bases are. You have already highlighted yourself. If only you hadn't missed the opportunity.

On 12/29/2017 at 6:00 AM, Jondaman4 said:

I thought I did  . I got it from my dad after he got a new car and it is on its last legs. Definitely wouldn’t make it cross country 

I put mine on one of these: https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-Transport-Rental/AT/

And towed it behind one of these: https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/10ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/TM/

While living on base you can bike to work. I know two IPs that did that. Have fun when the afternoon storms come out of no-where. Off base? Best to have a car or live with/down the street from a classmate. Once you get off formal release you guys will probably want to leave base at different times though.

Not sure about the Uber situation in C-bus. Wasn't around when I went through. Taxis were pretty much non-existent. As far as one way rental at the airport, you will have to call the individual rental car companies and ask. Probably not many people here will have info on it cause probably 95% of us drove/had cars at UPT. I didn't know anyone while I was there that didn't have a car. IF there is a rental car company downtown that is also at the airport, I am willing to bet my paycheck the rental car company is about halfway between the airport and the base. Might as well get an uber the whole way to base, especially since the AF is gonna pay for it. Because once you take the rental car back downtown, you still have to get back to the base(about a 15 minute drive). So I hope you know someone down there or can make friends real quick with someone that will drive you back.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would turn down a paid road trip. AF only wants you driving max like 6-8 hours a day or something like that. Will even pay per diem rates for the hotels along the way. Spend the night in Flagstaff or Phoenix check out the sights, another night in Amarillo, OKC, Memphis. Or pick a different route with different cities, spending a night at each one.

Buying a car in Columbus, there are plenty of dealerships and used car places around town and in Starkville. Easy to get rid of? I put my car on Craigslist at 11 AM and sold it 8 PM. Internet is a beautiful thing. You could put it in the lemon lot on base to try to sell it as well.

Edited by gucci
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, gucci said:

I put mine on one of these: https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-Transport-Rental/AT/

And towed it behind one of these: https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/10ft-Moving-Truck-Rental/TM/

Like I said you get paid by the pound so a 4,000 lb car on a trailer would get you more money. AF will reimburse all expenses for the uhaul. 

While living on base you can bike to work. I know two IPs that did that. Have fun when the afternoon storms come out of no-where. Off base? Best to have a car or live with/down the street from a classmate. Once you get off formal release you guys will probably want to leave base at different times though.

Not sure about the Uber situation in C-bus. Wasn't around when I went through. Taxis were pretty much non-existent. As far as one way rental at the airport, you will have to call the individual rental car companies and ask. Probably not many people here will have info on it cause probably 95% of us drove/had cars at UPT. I didn't know anyone while I was there that didn't have a car. IF there is a rental car company downtown that is also at the airport, I am willing to bet my paycheck the rental car company is about halfway between the airport and the base. Might as well get an uber the whole way to base, especially since the AF is gonna pay for it. Because once you take the rental car back downtown, you still have to get back to the base(about a 15 minute drive). So I hope you know someone down there or can make friends real quick with someone that will drive you back.

Honestly I don't know why anyone would turn down a paid road trip. AF only wants you driving max like 6-8 hours a day or something like that. Will even pay per diem rates for the hotels along the way. Spend the night in Flagstaff or Phoenix check out the sights, another night in Amarillo, OKC, Memphis. Or pick a different route with different cities, spending a night at each one.

Buying a car in Columbus, there are plenty of dealerships and used car places around town and in Starkville. Easy to get rid of? I put my car on Craigslist at 11 AM and sold it 8 PM. Internet is a beautiful thing. You could put it in the lemon lot on base to try to sell it as well.

Thanks , I appreciate the advice 

You have been given plenty of advice. Your idea to fly in and buy something off the lemon lot, etc has plenty of holes..you should be focusing on preparing for what’s in front of you, working with your classmates, socializing at the club, etc. Buying a junker in the local area opens up opportunities for the car to be a distraction...broken down, filled with meth and dead hookers, unreliable transportation, etc.

Listen to the advice of others. Buy yourself a new vehicle and drive it cross country. I’d get one of the new eco-boost F150s so you still get all the functionality of a truck and decent gas mileage. That way you are prepared for what’s in front of you. Make the most of the drive. Stop being a bitch. See some cool shit on the way. Listen to a book on tape. Do anything other than ask for advice and then complain when it doesn’t match your preconceived notions.

Seriously, stop arguing. Buy a new, reliable vehicle that won’t be a distraction (to use as an excuse) for your future failures.

You don’t know what track you’re going to get (if you graduate). You could end up moving several more times during the pipeline.

The scary part of all of this is your SA LOW Light is flashing and you can’t see it.

6 minutes ago, SCRIMP said:

You have been given plenty of advice. Your idea to fly in and buy something off the lemon lot, etc has plenty of holes..you should be focusing on preparing for what’s in front of you, working with your classmates, socializing at the club, etc. Buying a junker in the local area opens up opportunities for the car to be a distraction...broken down, filled with meth and dead hookers, unreliable transportation, etc.

Listen to the advice of others. Buy yourself a new vehicle and drive it cross country. I’d get one of the new eco-boost F150s so you still get all the functionality of a truck and decent gas mileage. That way you are prepared for what’s in front of you. Make the most of the drive. Stop being a bitch. See some cool shit on the way. Listen to a book on tape. Do anything other than ask for advice and then complain when it doesn’t match your preconceived notions.

Seriously, stop arguing. Buy a new, reliable vehicle that won’t be a distraction (to use as an excuse) for your future failures.

Will do

Will do

Something you should consider is to never pass up an opportunity for Uncle Sam to pay you. Whoever talked about the weight is spot on. Buy the truck and a small home gym. Move that shit first time...make money on the process.

Hell, if I was single and a shiny 2Lt again, I’d buy my ass a 5th wheel or some shit. Pay off that MF in the first couple of years then BOOM...something you can use for a long time. Buying a trailer of your own is something that the AF will eventually buy for you through moving costs.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SCRIMP said:

You don’t know what track you’re going to get (if you graduate). You could end up moving several more times during the pipeline.

The scary part of all of this is your SA LOW Light is flashing and you can’t see it.

I appreciate the advice and will do so 

Like I said you get paid by the pound so a 4,000 lb car on a trailer would get you more money. AF will reimburse all expenses for the uhaul.

If you claimed your car as 4,000 pounds of HHG...you just committed fraud.

This thread has been extremely amusing.  I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Listen to what is being said here.  Some of it you may agree with, some of it you may disagree with.  But understand there is a lot of years of experience floating around on these forums.  Grow some thicker skin and never miss an opportunity to STFU, whether it's here or in the squadron bar.  You'd be surprised at the amount of good will you garner from just listening and not highlighting yourself.  If you are going to rebut anything (and this goes for this forum and in life/your future flying career) be humble about it.  Being an arrogant little $hit will get you no where, so work on your approach.

Now when it comes to travelling, buy a vehicle and cruise the country.  Hell if I could do it all over again I would have left 2-3 weeks early and gone camping all around the US on my to UPT.  CA-MS is an awesome trip if done right.  Take your time, avoid free ways and go see America, it's a big country with lots of amazing places and people in it.  You can't take money to the grave, but you can enjoy the hell out of life while you're young.

Also, good luck trying to pick up any girl, anywhere with some lame beater you got off the lemon lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Especially the ones with “daddy” issues

Both of them.

I was TDY there for a month about 6 years ago and there was a restaurant that wasn't half bad out the back gate, served everything from fried chicken to Chinese food.  There were are few local ladies that worked there and actually were cute, until they opened their mouths, straight summer teeth, some are here, some are there.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Haha 1

Go to Bulldog Burger Company in the Cotton District. Great talent and even better food.

“2” on Starkville girls w/Daddy issues.

At the risk of deviating from transport-related questions here, what's the current situation for overnight visitors in the UOQs at Columbus? I'm married, planning on doing UPT unaccompanied, and am told that I'll be able to collect BAH while in the UOQ (since I'm a Reservist with a lease elsewhere), but I'd prefer my spouse be able to visit on the occasional weekend. Seems like it's prohibited by the AFI unless otherwise authorized. Is it allowed (officially or otherwise), or should I just expect to spring for an off-base hotel when she visits?

At the risk of deviating from transport-related questions here, what's the current situation for overnight visitors in the UOQs at Columbus? I'm married, planning on doing UPT unaccompanied, and am told that I'll be able to collect BAH while in the UOQ (since I'm a Reservist with a lease elsewhere), but I'd prefer my spouse be able to visit on the occasional weekend. Seems like it's prohibited by the AFI unless otherwise authorized. Is it allowed (officially or otherwise), or should I just expect to spring for an off-base hotel when she visits?

Make sure your wife and girlfriend never meet.
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, sforron said:

Dude no one will ever give a $hit if/when the wife visits, enjoy your family time to the max extent.  Those rules are there to prevent people from having 69 people living in the same dorm room.  Now that all being said, find someone who has an open room and go live there, save a few bucks and it gets you away from base each day.

No one gave a shit 3-4 years ago. Bunch of the guard bros lived next to each other in the dorms, we always knew when ones one wife came to visit by the noises made in flight room that Monday morning. Apparently there were a lot of screamers, or fakers. 

Complete side note, lots of cool areas around Columbus that make a good weekend trip, Nashville, New Orleans, Pcola, just to name a few.