Columbus AFB Information

Tex

Guest kate19

Mississippi schools are ranked last in the country. The schools here are horrible. During one of my husband's welcome to CAFB briefings, he was told that if your children attend school here, you should expect them to be held back a grade when you get to your next base. I know one wife that is a teacher, and she quit after 4 days in the Columbus city schools.

Jobs are hard to find. It is a small town with about 26,000 people. Several wives I know, myself included, took whatever jobs we could find even if they weren't in the career field we wanted, and we all took pay cuts. I don't know any CPAs or auditors, so I don't know how hard it is to find a job in that field.

We are having a good time doing UPT here, and the community on base is great, but if you want good schools for your children, I wouldn't come here.

Guest LRTandA
Mississippi schools are ranked last in the country. The schools here are horrible. During one of my husband's welcome to CAFB briefings, he was told that if your children attend school here, you should expect them to be held back a grade when you get to your next base. I know one wife that is a teacher, and she quit after 4 days in the Columbus city schools.

Jobs are hard to find. It is a small town with about 26,000 people. Several wives I know, myself included, took whatever jobs we could find even if they weren't in the career field we wanted, and we all took pay cuts. I don't know any CPAs or auditors, so I don't know how hard it is to find a job in that field.

We are having a good time doing UPT here, and the community on base is great, but if you want good schools for your children, I wouldn't come here.

The public schools are beyond bad, but many people send their kids to Heritage Academy (private school) which is comparable to schools in other states. If you're here as an IP I'd defintiely consider that, since you'll be there for three years.

As for jobs, I agree with the PPs, it's hard to find anything besides temp work, it's a truley southern town in that if you want a "real" job, you have to know someone, or know someone who knows someone. There are several "old money" families in the area and they pretty much run everything.

If you have the choice, for your wife and kids' sake, I'd try for PIT.

• 4 months later...
Guest J.R. ANG

K, one more question from my wife. As far as the temporary housing at Columbus, do they have kitchen/kitchenettes? If so are cooking items provided (pots/pans/flatware/plates) Just a question my wife asked me yesterday. I guess I should just get her to join here! (still working on it)

Guest kate19

If you are in a TLF house, there is a full kitchen with a few plates, pots, pans, etc. If you are in the Magnolia Inn, it depends on the room. I stayed in one with a full fridge and a stove but some of the rooms just have a small fridge/microwave combo. The people at the Inn are very nice and should be able to tell you what's in the room they assign you if you have to stay there.

• 2 months later...

I'm reporting to Columbus 10 Nov, and had a few questions. I already reserved the 30 days of billeting, but do I also need to talk to the housing office ahead of time or do I just see them when I show up?

Also, I can't check in to billeting until 2pm on the 10th, and the 11th is Veteran's Day and everything will be closed. Should I try to get to all of the offices on base that afternoon, or just wait until the 12th?

I already reserved the 30 days of billeting, but do I also need to talk to the housing office ahead of time or do I just see them when I show up?

If you want to get into base housing you can fax/email your orders ahead of time to get your name on the waiting list, but it will all be based on when you physically show up. If you don't want base housing you can just check in when you arrive.

Also, I can't check in to billeting until 2pm on the 10th, and the 11th is Veteran's Day and everything will be closed. Should I try to get to all of the offices on base that afternoon, or just wait until the 12th?

You won't get to all of them - in standard shoe-clerk style, I'm sure most will be closed by 1530 or so. I would get done what you can, but don't sweat it too much and finish up on the 12th.

• 11 months later...

I'm heading off to Columbus at the end of next month, I was told to expect to live in the dorms and that they expect that they will have the dorms "ready" by mid Oct. All they told me was that they are fixing the dorms, they wouldn't tell me what that means over the phone. Does anyone know what that means? And from the look of things, does it look like they will be ready by mid Oct? Also, I like to play hockey and I would like to bring my stuff with me (even though the closest ice I found was about an hour and a half away)because I will be on casual for a few months. Do they give you any kind of storage space at Columbus that is not inside your dorm? I read what other people put down on the dorms, I was also wondering how big the closet space they give you, what the current prices for the internet/cable and maid service, and is Columbus in a dry county? Thanks for the help!

All they told me was that they are fixing the dorms, they wouldn't tell me what that means over the phone. Does anyone know what that means?

After each person moves out of the dorms, they fix it up for the next tenant. This includes repairing the holes in the wall from pictures, replacing furniture, etc. When you get there ask for one of the new dorms. They are much nicer and feature a walk-in closet ~(5 x 5 x 10)ft. Although they have the same square footage as the older rooms, the floorplan makes better use of the space.

Also, I like to play hockey and I would like to bring my stuff with me (even though the closest ice I found was about an hour and a half away)because I will be on casual for a few months. Do they give you any kind of storage space at Columbus that is not inside your dorm?

You can get a storage locker in one of the common rooms that is ~4ft x 4ft x 7 ft. All you need is a lock

what the current prices for the internet/cable and maid service, and is Columbus in a dry county? Thanks for the help!

Cable One has a monopoly on the market in Columbus. Cable and internet package will run from $100+ depending on the package (sts). Columbus is not in a dry county, thank god :rock:

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I am reporting to Columbus this week, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if pets are allowed in the dorms? If not, will housing make alternate arrangements, or do I just have to leave my pet with family etc.?

Hello everyone,

I am reporting to Columbus this week, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if pets are allowed in the dorms? If not, will housing make alternate arrangements, or do I just have to leave my pet with family etc.?

No pets in the dorms, no special accomodations. Expect to be stuck in the dorms through about mid-January. I lived in them from about this time last year until Jan. Apparently too many people were using the "I have a dog" excuse to not live on base. It's not bad, saves gas, but living off base makes $$$$ (BAH = $850, 2 roommates =$400 rent...very nice)

I used the AHRN site to find a house off base, so try that.

• 2 months later...
Guest DavisF22

Does anyone know if you can cancel on-base housing once you've gotten it. As a married individual with a child I'm a little reluctant to stay in Capitol if I other options that may be better. Just wondering if when I get down there and talk to the people about housing if I can change my mind if I land in Capitol.

Does anyone know if you can cancel on-base housing once you've gotten it. As a married individual with a child I'm a little reluctant to stay in Capitol if I other options that may be better. Just wondering if when I get down there and talk to the people about housing if I can change my mind if I land in Capitol.

As long as you don't or haven't signed the lease yet, you should be good. Once you sign though you're committed for at least a year. Don't look at just the AHRN website, there's more out there.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest gopher5252

Does anyone know the options for families who would like to live off base during UPT? Are there homes to rent? We have three small children so renting a small apartment isn't an option but are there other choices besides base homes?

Gopher,

Because you are married and bringing kids, there are several obvious methods - buy or rent. Only unaccompanied folks live in the dorms...

To rent, start at www.militarybyowner.com and put in Mississippi/Columbus AFB in the search tabs. Another rental option is www.ahrn.com, but you have to register. A simple google search can land you several agents and property managers in the area. However, if you're only there for a year, and know you're going to rent, consider helping out a fellow military member by renting there place if you find what you want.

I went thru UPT 8 yrs ago w/ 3 kids, and let me recommend to stay on base. So much easier...and if you happen to FAIP, consider then to move off-base. There's pro's and con's of both living situations. Being a student on-base keeps you closer to your classmates, easier to get to/from the flying squadrons, esp during early morning shows.

• 2 months later...

How do utilities (electricity, water, trash) work when living on-base at Columbus? Does Pinnacle include themin the rent/BAH, or are they extra?

All is included in your BAH for now (except cable/satellite and internet). You'll set up an automatic allotment to Pinnacle for the amount of your BAH and it will be taken from your paycheck every two weeks.

However they did install dials on all the houses so most likely you can expect a ration type system to be set up for electricity and water in the next couple years (they just started establishing the baseline for it so it'll take time to work the numbers). From talking to people at other bases the way I understand that works is you have a certain amount of electricity/water alloted, if you use less they pay you, if you use more you pay them. People with experience from other bases with this feel free to correct me on that.

One last thing that caught us by surprise when we got here, expect to pay for your whatever is left of the month when you move in out of pocket as the allotment takes time to set up and they are money grubbing.

• 3 months later...

USAFWife,

I'm a T-6 IP that recently moved here. If you are going to live off-base, take a peek at the following websites:

www.militarybyowner.com

www.ahrn.com (registration required)

We live in Oakdale Park subdivision, and have enjoyed the area. It's literally a 4-6 minute drive to and from work from my house. I would HIGHLY suggest you look on the military by owner website - there are several houses in this subdivision for rent. In addition, some folks decide to live downtown, they have some condo style apartments that are fairly decent - a bit older though.

It's def a small(er) southern town, but, we have not had any negative issues thus far. If you have kids that are of school age, you either want to send them to Heritage Academy (private) or Caledonia (best public).

Good luck...

• 8 months later...

Hey all,

I'm heading out to Columbus Oct 1 with future wife in tow and I was just curious on what all has been changed or updated, either on base or the town. I know that they have updated the housing which is great, but is it worth it to live there? The wife and I are saying yes to live on base for a couple of reasons: so that she can get adjusted to the whole military thing, and for me going for UPT. I keep getting mixed signals from people saying that living off base is the better route so I guess I am just looking for some advice on this to help back our decision.

Also, any advice on spouse jobs would be great. She has a bachelors in Spanish with a teaching certificate, basically looking to teach but is open for other opportunities.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm heading out to Columbus Oct 1 with future wife in tow and I was just curious on what all has been changed or updated, either on base or the town. I know that they have updated the housing which is great, but is it worth it to live there? The wife and I are saying yes to live on base for a couple of reasons: so that she can get adjusted to the whole military thing, and for me going for UPT. I keep getting mixed signals from people saying that living off base is the better route so I guess I am just looking for some advice on this to help back our decision.

Also, any advice on spouse jobs would be great. She has a bachelors in Spanish with a teaching certificate, basically looking to teach but is open for other opportunities.

Thanks!

Most married guys in my class live on base and I think we all agree it's worth it. I would say it's worth it to live on base. During T-6s with long days and formal release, saving time commuting can help add study time and give you extra time to spend with your new wife. The single guys who live off base generally get roommates and pocket some BAH, but for a married O-1, you'd be in an apartment if you want to make money. As it is, new base housing is around 1500-1800 square feet and we don't pay utilities. I know living here has helped my wife adjust to the military.

I know a few spouses who teach locally; some are substitutes. Some find jobs at local retail stores just to kill some time, have something to do, and make a little money.

• 4 months later...

Im an avid shooter and plan on taking my two handguns and Mosin Nagant rifle with me to Columbus. I plan on living on base and Im not really sure how to store the weapons and so forth. Im also interested if there are any rifle/handgun ranges in or near Columbus. Does anyone here have any advice or can point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!!

Starkville Gun Club -- yearly membership, private access and you get your own key to the gate. I would mainly go there to shoot skeet/trap. Anything else, I would just take Barton Ferry road until you see the bridge and flightline access gate. Great spot to shoot weapons or fireworks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have information on local lakes near Columbus? I have a 28 foot Mach 1 performance boat that I have been using on Lake of the Ozarks and Tablerock and I want to continue using it in MS. Is there a lake large enough to support my boat or do I have to travel south to the Gulf or north to Pickwick Lake on the TN River to run it?

How is the Verizon service in the area?

Where are the good places to live (on base, off base, etc...) I am an O-4, married with one kid starting Kindergarten next year, so location for schools, jobs, etc... are a must.

Thanks...

Edited by Tank

Tank...

There are several T-6 drivers, me included, who have boats - Malibu, Tahoe, Moomba, etc...nothing as large as your boat.

DO NOT put your boat in Lake Columbus unless you want to flush your entire engine 4-5 times, plan on hitting a submerged tree, run over a log, etc. Best thing around here for fishing by far, but, not for "pleasure boats".

Most of us run our boats on Lake Tuscaloosa - VERY nice lake, but, a bit choppy. Lake Lowndes is also close, but probably too small for your boat. There is no public swimming in Lake Lowndes, but I use it for maintenance / burning gas. Two boats max on Lowndes and then it gets crowded. The Rez is down in Jackson - about 2.5 hours away - and is the same distance as Pickwick.

We have Verizon, and it is the best service around. Don't change.

The city school system here is PATHETIC....read: anything that feeds into Columbus High School. Depending on your financial situation, there are 2 private school options: Heritage Academy and Emmanual Baptist. I know for a fact several parents who pulled their kids out of Heritage and put them in Emmanual. Heritage is MUCH larger than Emmanual....less than 10% of the base populace sends their kids to these schools.

The most popular school district is Lowndes County ISD, which consists of West Lowndes (aka ghetto), New Hope (about 30 minute drive) and the MOST popular schools - Caledonia (which is where we send our kids). We have a 5th grader, and the Elementary School is fantastic...just received the states top honors, etc. Caledonia is probably recognized as the best option in the area.

What you'll find is that the jobs available are hit or miss. If you want to live close to the jobs, you are looking at the poor school district. If you are looking at Subdivisions -- Sherwood Forest area is popular (mostly married w/no kids though), about 8 minutes to the base. This subdivision feeds into the CIty schools - but is closer to the town. Oakdale Park is also very popular, and is where we live - feeds into Caledonia. Housing market here is "eh"? More things to rent than buy (check out www.militarybyowner.com or www.ahrn.com). No need to go thru a realtor if you plan to rent. We found our house by miracle. Listed as "For Sale by Owner" and had been on the market for nearly 6 months. No bites, and the owners (who are military) had to front two mortgages. We signed a 2 yr lease to ease their burden...so, if you see something you like, and you want to rent, call the owner and ask!

If you see something you like, PM me the area and I'll tell you what I know.

What type of job are you looking?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Regarding schools, does the part of the city/county you live in determine which school your kids goes to?

Yes

Does the Sherwood subdivision go to Caledonia?

No, Sherwood subdivision will go to the city schools. Most folks who live in Sherwood either homeschool or send to one of the private schools.

Is there a school bus route to Caledonia?

Yes....it all simply depends on where you live. My kids bus drops off/pickups right in front of the house.

Give me an idea of what you're looking for. I know several folks who have houses going up for rent/sale in both school districts which are not listed on MBO or AHRN.

• 2 months later...

Does anybody know the policy for Columbus AFB regarding how far we are allowed to travel on weekends while training at UPT?

A friend of mine is getting married in another state and asked me to be in his wedding and I was curious as to what the process is like on leaving on friday after training and getting back that sunday.

Any would would be greatly appreciated.

As a T-6 ADO type here at CBM, I can tell you "it all depends".

Most likely this won't be a problem - go ahead and make plans, but on Day 1 of UPT, you'll be asked by your Class Commander from the 14 STURON/SQ....then, you'll also want to let your T-6 Flt/CC know as well.

I've seen guys be able to go as far away as Chicago - but again, the guy was well ahead of the timeline and was a strong student. Your circumstances may vary.