Are they still pulling UPT grads for RPA?

So I've been doing some research and found out about the URT course. Does this mean there are plans to stop taking UPT grads to fly drones? If so any idea when this is going to take affect or has it already. Sorry I'm a bit behind the curve here.

P.S. Search function doesn't allow me to use 3 letter words and acronyms so I had to ask. -.-

Havent seen a RPA drop on assignment night since about 2010. However, rated dudes can still get pulled into the abyss, so in that sense, you could go preds after UPT, just not immediately after.

However, comma, nothing stays constant.

Edit: I didn't not misunderstand the un-double negative between the post & it's title.

Edited by 10percenttruth

Havent seen a RPA drop on assignment night since about 2010. However, rated dudes can still get pulled into the abyss, so in that sense, you could go preds after UPT, just not immediately after.

This is a better answer, I didn't read the question fully. It seems like not right out of UPT, but long-term AF pilots will still be flying UAVs since there's no way the 18X career field can keep up with the demand alone. I'm actually pretty surprised they stopped taking navs, seems like that would have been an avenue to continue feeding the UAV demand beast.

Edited by nsplayr

Like he's going to become an 18X and get another 6 year commitment or he's going to be a 12U and remain a "nav?" There's a big difference...12U used to exist and got turned off. Any interested nav or ABM can apply to be an 18X (via URT) the same way they could apply to UPT, it's been that way since 18X was created if I'm not mistaken.

What I'm surprised is that they didn't leave the 12U pathway open as a way to pull in more people, rather they volunteered or not.

Yes.

This is a better answer, I didn't read the question fully. It seems like not right out of UPT, but long-term AF pilots will still be flying UAVs since there's no way the 18X career field can keep up with the demand alone. I'm actually pretty surprised they stopped taking navs, seems like that would have been an avenue to continue feeding the UAV demand beast.

Like he's going to become an 18X and get another 6 year commitment or he's going to be a 12U and remain a "nav?" There's a big difference...12U used to exist and got turned off. Any interested nav or ABM can apply to be an 18X (via URT) the same way they could apply to UPT, it's been that way since 18X was created if I'm not mistaken.

What I'm surprised is that they didn't leave the 12U pathway open as a way to pull in more people, rather they volunteered or not.

Dude. Is there a topic on this message board you don't feel compelled to respond to? I mean, for God's sake...

1) You haven't been to UPT

2) You're basing your opinion on...what exactly? Not seeing a UAV in the assignment night thread, but you still answer yes? And then say "oh yeah, nevermind. Someone else answered better than me..."

3) Not everything in the world revolves around navs and clock2map2gnd1!!1!!

I get that you're really into politics and public policy and you like defending your thoughts in those threads. What I don't get is your inability to STFU when you don't know what you're talking about. Please stop, you're embarrassing yourself. Before you hit the "post" button and probably before you speak in public, think to yourself "do I know what I'm talking about here? Is it my place to speak on this topic?" If the answer to either of those isn't "Yes" with no caveats, don't. It's way better for everyone. It's kinda like a debrief, "was I directly spoken to? Can I answer this question in one word or less? If I answer this question is it possible to be seen as quibbling? Am I really sure this is the right time for me to speak?"

/rant.

• Upvote 5

He's going 18X...he applied for the slot (similar to UPT I guess). I'm not smart on the process.

He's going 18X...he applied for the slot (similar to UPT I guess). I'm not smart on the process.

I believe he applied for it via the annual AD Rated board. It wasn't simply an RPA dropped via the regular assignment process.

Dude. Is there a topic on this message board you don't feel compelled to respond to? I mean, for God's sake...

35395715.jpg

I did admit I didn't read the question fully, bad on me, I'll take the spear on that. Beyond that, slow your roll.

Edited by nsplayr

I believe he applied for it via the annual AD Rated board. It wasn't simply an RPA dropped via the regular assignment process.

Copy. I was addressing the previous statement of

I'm actually pretty surprised they stopped taking navs

i though he was speaking in generalities. But we've proven that nsplayr knows not of what he speaks.

35395715.jpg

I did admit I didn't read the question fully, bad on me, I'll take the spear on that (sts). Beyond that, slow your roll.

Dude.

My roll is pretty slow compared to yours. Here's some facts:

Slander: Joined BODN Jul 2005, 154 active posts.

NSPlayer: Joined BODN Apr 2008, 1977 active posts.

When I post I think about it for a very long time before I do, and then I usually don't. I triple dog dare you to try that on for size, just see how it feels. Just the tip, just for a little bit if you must.

Ball busting aside (sts), to answer the original question, I don't think UPT dudes are going to a UAV directly outside of the guard/reserve guys. Nowadays it seems like most dudes are 11M types or 18U direct.

• Upvote 2

Ball busting aside (sts), to answer the original question, I don't think UPT dudes are going to a UAV directly outside of the guard/reserve guys. Nowadays it seems like most dudes are 11M types or 18U direct.

I've not been to UPT, but from looking at the drops on this board and having completed the 18X pipeline, the supply of RPA pilots seems to stem from a few different sources:

- 18X trainees selected straight out of ROTC/USAFA that applied for the job.

- Guys tired of flying manned aircraft for one reason or another and volunteering for an RPA assignment.

- Previously mentioned guard/Reserve guys.

I wouldn't get too worried about UPT drops. The 18X pipeline is expanding, albeit slowly, and that should take away the manning problems in a few years once more people get through their training and onto their first assignments. FTU's currently seem to be the bottleneck for the process.

the supply of RPA pilots seems to stem from a few different sources:

- 18X trainees selected straight out of ROTC/USAFA that applied for the job.

- Guys tired of flying manned aircraft for one reason or another and volunteering for an RPA assignment.

- Previously mentioned guard/Reserve guys.

Those are not the only three sources.

Edited by HU&W

- Guys tired of flying manned aircraft for one reason or another and volunteering for an RPA

I wouldn't get too worried about UPT drops. The 18X pipeline is expanding, albeit slowly, and that should take away the manning problems in a few years once more people get through their training and onto their first assignments. FTU's currently seem to be the bottleneck for the process.

Wrong.. Almost all manned aircraft dudes are non-vol'd. I can count the number of prior MWS guys I know on one hand that outright volunteered for drones. I don't count the guys who volunteered for creech to avoid a cannon assignment.

And the 18x pipeline isn't 100% stable... If I was a UPT stud I'd make sure to not be the bottom ranked dude in case they start the UPT direct pipeline again. Shit changes all the time in the drone world. Also all the 18xers 7 day opting after their short commitment doesn't help either.

I can count the number of prior MWS guys I know on one hand that outright volunteered for drones.

I can count about 4 that are coming to Cannon in the near future just from the small list of guys that I know personally...perhaps this is a good sign for life down there?

Also all the 18xers 7 day opting after their short commitment doesn't help either.

I thought they had a 6 year commitment? Beta guys didn't get this maybe?

Edited by nsplayr

• 3 weeks later...

I thought they had a 6 year commitment? Beta guys didn't get this maybe?

Cant speak for the Beta guys I signed a 6 years ADSC that starts after our 18x undergrad.

Edited by Landfill

That sucks.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the UAV/RPA issues lately. Anyone have any links to numbers associated with the growth in RPA pilots as compared to the growth or decline in the numbers of pilots of other airframes?

No specifics but bottom line we need a lot more folks than we have and very few RPA dudes stay after their ADSC due to the 100 different reasons why this community sucks. Time will tell if that changes when the mass of 10 year ADSC dudes can start punching but I seriously doubt it will. I really hope I'm wrong.

Buddy of mine out at yokota (11m) just had his tour cut short to get non-volled to uavs.

He is one of many. In the past few years, we have had at least 10-12 guys get non-vol'd to UAVs. I would expect the trend to continue...for legacy herk guys at least. We are a dying breed.