It's disappointing that Rainman left, especially for the reasons cited; but it's not the end of the world.

I agree with CH to a degree that the political discussions aren't what this forum was originally created for, but Rich knew such threads would happen when he allowed the creation of the Squadron Bar and I think that is the right place for them.

Does that make BaseOps better or worse because of it? That's an individual decision, but I do think we still accomplish Rich's original vision for the site and if the addition of such conversations sends a few people elsewhere, then that's their call.

I pretty much agree with both CH and M2. I met Rich in 2003 at Corpus and became a moderator for ANG/AFRC forum about a year later. I agree it is our job to keep discussions on topic, discussions in the proper place, and to provide expertise/knowledge/mentorship where possible. My biggest gripe is when individuals pipe up on topics they appear to have no knowledge on or, what seems like, to "hear themselves talk". What usually ends up happening is they either confuse the issue/original question or seriously derail the discussion. Our job as moderators is to prevent this when it happens. I believe what Rich created is still very viable and should carry on.

No real argument with you, gearpig.

It is up to you and the other Mods on how you want to do this.

However,... it is up to you and the other Mods. And that is my point.

Do as you see fit.

If you feel there are folks on here that are a cancer, then cut them out.

If you believe they enhance it, then keep them.

I simply do not subscribe to the implied feelings of others that it is flat out wrong for you to censor if you feel it is in the best interest of the site. They don't like that? Then they an always leave.

I simply do not subscribe to the implied feelings of others that it is flat out wrong for you to censor if you feel it is in the best interest of the site. They don't like that? Then they an always leave.

So you think it's ok for a mod to change someone's post to something completely different than the original text, then when called out for it by other users on the site, completely erase any evidence of your douchebaggery. Nice standards.

Edited by Vertigo

So you think it's ok for a mod to change someone's post to something completely different than the original text, then when called out for it by other users on the site, completely erase any evidence of your douchebaggery. Nice standards.

Yep. Complete hypocrisy, from one of our so-called "leaders". Hard to take you seriously ClearedHot when you don't man up. Not at all surprising, really... par for the course for you and your peers.

I'm sure this post will be deleted soon.

• Upvote 1

I swear to God, if any of you a-holes get this site shut down because of constant bickering... Then I will have nothing to do at work all day. And over Rainman? 'Ol Pink Wings himself? Fuck that. He is just as easy to ignore as nsplayer or any of the others.

I come to this site for information on current and often times future events. It's better at building SA on this fucked up Air Force I still love so much, even after 18 years than any other source out there.

It makes me laugh when I need a pick me up, it makes me cry every time I Find out where to make a donation to a missing man's family... For all the good it does, the political debates are easy to ignore. I think as a whole the baseops community gets this information, and whatever else they use it for, who cares? It's well moderated, and the chaff is easy to filter. Can this thread die already? Pink Wings is gone, that's fine. If he was here, that would be fine too. I fell no sense of loss over Rainman disappearing, but I sure would feel a loss if this site got shut down over this thread.

Back to my Easter Sunday Grey Goose.

• Upvote 9

He is alive and well...he won't be back.

He is sick of the 1% of Baseops that insists on throwing shit on the wall just to get a reaction from others. Thank the Nsplyrs, Vertigos, and CHSLoads of the world and ask yourself what contribution they have made here? This was once a great site to share wisdom on careers in military aviation...it has morphed into a place where a small minority spew their political views non-stop.

Sad and not what Rich intended.

I've been reading these forums since 2002. In 2002 these forums helped me get a pilot training slot. From 2003 - 2006 these forums taught me that I was just a dumb ass LT who had a lot of learning to do. In 2007 these forums gave me a better idea of what my first deployment to the sandbox would be like. In the last several years I have learned a great deal about what to do with my career if congress suddenly decides to shut my Guard unit down.

These forums are doing just fine. Rich would be happy.

There's nothing wrong with political discussion in the right forum. Winston Churchill once remarked that the "distinction between politics and strategy diminishes as the point of view is raised. At the summit true politics and strategy are one." I would argue that even if we, as service members, don't engage in politics, we should at least understand it. The political discussions I have encountered on these forums have been as enlightening to me as the military ones.

I don't watch TV very much. I don't do Facebook. I read baseops.net. But only because I can come here to find open, frank discussions about a wide variety of topics. Despite my strong disagreement with the overwhelming majority of their viewpoints, this place would be a lot less interesting without the people you mentioned above.

Let's not turn this forum into one giant bath water drinking, self-licking ice cream cone by silencing those who's interests or views differ from those of the majority.

Edited by Flaco