Panetta to Lift Ban on Women in Combat

nsplayr

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.defense.gov/News/News-Transcripts/Transcript-View/Article/639998/department-of-defense-press-briefing-by-pentagon-press-secretary-peter-cook-in

The Office of the Acting Undersecretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness has received plans from each of the services for implementing Secretary Carter's December 3rd decision to open all positions in the military to women with no exceptions. [...] The services and Special Operations Command will begin to execute the implementation of their approved plans as soon as practicable, but no later than April 1st. [...] the secretary acknowledges it's going to take some time before we may see women in some of these positions. This is the beginning of a process, and [...] the implementation of these plans.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/02/03/female-marines-may-allowed-bulk-service-opens-infantry/wnts963yMlPdEyl8Vy85OL/story.html

If the standards don't work.....just change the standard.  For guys, I'm thinking not much will change regarding standards.

Well...   If there's a different standard for men & women, isn't that what we're all always bitching about on here to begin with?

From reading the article, it doesn't sound like anyone's advocating allowing women to get heavier than men--but, rather, to increase the limit (maybe to whatever the limit is for men?) in recognition that whatever limit is in place may not be realistic for a woman who is working out to deliberately bulk up, so better to perform her military duties.  There will never be an apples-to-apples comparison so long as there are "men's standards" and "women's standards"; I don't think this is in the same category as lowering a standard on, say, how much weight a Marine needs to be able to carry a specified distance (which I believe is part of their test?)....

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...