Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

51 minutes ago, Chida said:

What Scooter said above is the ticket...

Wow. After reading the article, I will not be able to retire in my current rank with a reserve retirement, either. I will retire almost exactly three years after my DOR (3 years and 5 days). I will not have 2 years of DSG service (2 years, 5 days AD, 365 days DSG).

The way it looks, there is no way I can retire in my current grade. Maybe that's ammunition for the TIG waiver, but probably not.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for the research.

Edited by Pancake

Obvious: you could stay DSG for another yr, blow off the AT, then retire. I haven’t done the math on whether or not this would be worth it in the end to delay retired pay by a year. 

9 hours ago, MT near said:

Why didn't you just retire when you got 20 TAFMS?

A number of factors:

- Still had more to give

- COVID just hit and my airline said they were going to be half the size on the other side of the pandemic

- Wanted to keep flying fighters and deploy

- Really love the squadron/wing that I’m in

I transitioned to DSG two years after hitting TAFMS. The leadership bathtub has since caught up and it’s time for me to move on.

20 hours ago, Chida said:

Obvious: you could stay DSG for another yr, blow off the AT, then retire. I haven’t done the math on whether or not this would be worth it in the end to delay retired pay by a year. 

Nope. I’m burned out and my family and I are mentally prepared to retire.

In the last 2.5 years, I’ve been OG, CV and completed a SOC. Staying on for “the next job” would require another 2.5 year “commitment” and we’ve built a leadership team that’s primed to lead the wing without the instability of leadership musical chairs every 12-18 months.

Edited by Pancake

Nope. I’m burned out and my family and I are mentally prepared to retire.
In the last 2.5 years, I’ve been OG, CV and completed a SOC. Staying on for “the next job” would require another 2.5 year “commitment” and we’ve built a leadership team that’s primed to lead the wing without the instability of leadership musical chairs every 12-18 months.

Refreshing to hear someone recognize this with a good plan in place to lead for the future within their organization, rather than stick around past their usefulness just to be in charge.
  • Upvote 2

Does anybody know how "reserve" points count towards your retirement if you trip an AD retirement?

Here's the situation, I will be tripping 20 years TAFMS, but will have 6-9 months of reserve time (drills, AFTPs, membership points, etc.). I know I'll qualify for the immediate pay check, but how does that added time - which doesn't "count" toward the 20 - play in? If at all?

Does anybody know how "reserve" points count towards your retirement if you trip an AD retirement?
Here's the situation, I will be tripping 20 years TAFMS, but will have 6-9 months of reserve time (drills, AFTPs, membership points, etc.). I know I'll qualify for the immediate pay check, but how does that added time - which doesn't "count" toward the 20 - play in? If at all?

I don’t think it plays in. Once you hit 20, each day you work adds to your TIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

9 hours ago, ViperMan said:

So if I was to retire with 20 years active and 8 months reserve, would my retirement be 20+8 months or just 20 years?

Yes it will be added. Lookup 1405 time. It can't help you get to 20 years active but after you make 20 years active, all those reserve days will be added for pay purposes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BONE WSO said:

Yes it will be added. Lookup 1405 time. It can't help you get to 20 years active but after you make 20 years active, all those reserve days will be added for pay purposes. 

Of note if you're requesting your 1405 from ARPC expect it to take 7-12 months... I'm working a case currently for a guy who submitted the request in August 2023 and still hasn't received it. Wing/CC is in at this point. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pancake: I hear you about being set on retirement, so this is for anybody else who might find himself in the same situation.

Several options to keep your TIS ticking in USAFR if your present unit won’t let you “hang out” to get your TIG:

1. transfer to IRR—NNRPS. No guarantee this will work as ARPC seems to be heavily against the concept that IRR is actually a thing. Actually read a AFBCMR case where ARPC shamefully screwed a guy who tried it. Might be worth a try, though, if you’re unwilling to do more duty.

2. funeral honors duty as part of PIRR—I don’t know the mechanism for this.  

3. Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer. Cat B thru AFNORTH.

4. CAP-RAP Cat E or B

5. Admissions Liaison Officer Cat E

6. Selective Service System Cat B

On 3/24/2024 at 10:57 PM, Chida said:

3. Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer. Cat B thru AFNORTH.

Anybody know somebody who's done this? Never heard of it before, but from my two minutes of googling, it sounds like it could be either a really good or a really bad deal. Curious to hear experiences if anyone has any.