Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

Im trying to join the reserves after 21 years…not trying to get retired pay (was already denied)just take an open TR spot. Anyone know if I can separate from AD post 20 vs have to retire?

I'm confused. You got denied retirement?

But I know a guy who's working Palace Chase to the guard after 21 years AD (signed bonus to something past that).  I also know a guy who straight up retired from AD, then got some waivers signed to join the reserve, then more waivers to return to flight status.  When on orders, his pension got pro-rated (reduced) for that time.  But that was years ago.

So yeah, should be possible I would think.  I'm not in a position to definitively tell you, but maybe that's encouragement to keep digging.

I'm confused. You got denied retirement?
But I know a guy who's working Palace Chase to the guard after 21 years AD (signed bonus to something past that).  I also know a guy who straight up retired from AD, then got some waivers signed to join the reserve, then more waivers to return to flight status.  When on orders, his pension got pro-rated (reduced) for that time.  But that was years ago.
So yeah, should be possible I would think.  I'm not in a position to definitively tell you, but maybe that's encouragement to keep digging.

No, I can retire but I’d rather fly part time as I dig my airframe/job/base….just don’t want to do AD.

I can't think of any situation where being retirement eligible and not doing it makes any sense.  You can retire and still fly guard/reserve as mentioned above.  

I was hired as a TR into a “retired reservist” position by a unit but a 2-star general who doesn’t believe the unit should be hiring retirement eligible pilots killed the package.

So my choices are if I want to fly military to stay AD or figure out a work around.

I was hired as a TR into a “retired reservist” position by a unit but a 2-star general who doesn’t believe the unit should be hiring retirement eligible pilots killed the package.

Retain talent and experience in a more amenable arraignment…nah, how could that help the force? Kill it!

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

19AF/cc by chance? Wouldn’t surprise me if so. 

“Retired reserve” are the key words you need to research. There are caveats to unit manning and other stuff. I can, and has, been done …. But I don’t think it’s blanket approval  

Oh it’s been researched. Literally hired under the program then as the package was being routed, a 2 star that doesn’t think retirees should be hired has staff stop the packages before they ever got to the approval authority.

One guy hired was so sure it’d happen that he didn’t even have a retirement ceremony or fini flight.

And today I just heard how bad my base/airframe are hurting for IPs.

UFB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, di1630 said:

Oh it’s been researched. Literally hired under the program then as the package was being routed, a 2 star that doesn’t think retirees should be hired has staff stop the packages before they ever got to the approval authority.

You can go ahead and share his name, douche canoes deserve to be outed, especially in the ARC.    

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

Literally hired under the program then as the package was being routed, a 2 star that doesn’t think retirees should be hired has staff stop the packages before they ever got to the approval authority.

So his office is not an approval step, just coordination?

You can go ahead and share his name, douche canoes deserve to be outed, especially in the ARC.    

The esteemed person who is respectfully against retaining current qualified 11Fs during a retention crisis is Maj Gen Radliff, the 10th AF commander.

I do not know the official reasoning why he is willing to drive out 20+ year experienced pilots who are volunteering to work for almost free and fill available TR spots.

I’m sure like everything big blue does, there is a good reason.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Correct…but because people are afraid of him they will not push it further because he “non-concurred”

oof.  That sucks.  Off the top of my head, seems like you can:

-try to convince his staff that he isn't the authority, and they're actually required to forward the packages with his non-concurrence.  At least on active duty, proving your case in AFI, based on process that something has to happen usually wins those types of arguments.

-go to the IG

-go get a guard job instead

The first two might fail regardless.  If he's actually as vindictive as his staff fears, he may have the ability to tube the hire regardless of waiver.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if a retiree is eligible for TLE and Per Diem entitlements when making the final government move to Home of Selection? Google didn’t provide a clear cut answer, TMO said that was a Finance question, and of course, base Finance won’t answer the phone or return emails. Thanks in advance…

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

3 hours ago, pcola said:

Anyone know if a retiree is eligible for TLE and Per Diem entitlements when making the final government move to Home of Selection? Google didn’t provide a clear cut answer, TMO said that was a Finance question, and of course, base Finance won’t answer the phone or return emails. Thanks in advance…

No they don't pay for TLE and Per Diem.  Just airfare, household goods and vehicle.  I'll see if i can find the actual citation.

You *may* not even extra baggage allowance from the airlines since you'll be flying with a retiree ID and not Active Duty CAC.  I say may because some check-in agents may or may not give you that benefit.

Edit:  Found the memo from the local finance office.

image.thumb.png.9d637d2c804afa5ea4b750bac5fd14c4.png

Edited by panchbarnes

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Looks like no for TLE but yes for per diem/travel.

Temporary Lodging Expense is not authorized when leaving active duty and moving from the last PDS. See 37 U.S.C. §474a. https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/faqtle.cfm
Also a no in JTR (table 5-12)

For per diem, it looks like yes (if you are retiring).

"051003. Service Member on Active Duty who Retires, is Placed on the TDRL, is
Discharged with Severance or Separation Pay, or is Involuntarily Released with
Readjustment or Separation Pay and Associated Dependent Travel...The Service member’s PCS travel and transportation allowances are authorized from the
last PDS to a home that he or she selects, known as an HOS. The dependent’s PCS travel and
transportation allowances are from the last PDS, or the place where the dependent was last transported at
Government expense, to the HOS."

1 hour ago, di1630 said:

When going from AD to a TR in the reserves, what options do you gave with accrued leave?

Sell or use terminal?

Also, do you accrue the 2.5 days per month leave while you are on terminal leave?

From my memory going AD to DSG in the Guard, yes and yes. Sell/terminal are your options (I chose ~70 days of terminal), and you do accrue leave while on leave so factor that in to when you start terminal based on your separation date. If you f-up the calculation it's NBD, you'll just end up selling a few days of leave.

When going from AD to a TR in the reserves, what options do you gave with accrued leave?

Sell or use terminal?

Also, do you accrue the 2.5 days per month leave while you are on terminal leave?
You can also carry leave over to AFRC(at least for palace front/chase). The problem would be finding a set of 30+ day orders in the future to use/attach them to, but if you promote later on you can sell it back for more money....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, czecksikhs said:

You can also carry leave over to AFRC (at least for palace front/chase). The problem would be finding a set of 30+ day orders in the future to use/attach them to, but if you promote later on you can sell it back for more money....

Probably obvious but just to clarify, you can only carry leave over to the ARC if you don’t have a break in service coming from AD, i.e. palace chase/front. They won’t let you just get out, hang on to your leave, and then reinstate it later in the ARC. 

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if TLE is available (reimbursable) when you're separating? Finance here said no, but the tone of the A1C's voice was "I'm not totally sure, but I'm not going to spend the time looking that up."

Thanks. 

Does anyone know if TLE is available (reimbursable) when you're separating? Finance here said no, but the tone of the A1C's voice was "I'm not totally sure, but I'm not going to spend the time looking that up."
Thanks. 

Looks like JTR unfortunately says no.

050601. TLE for Service Members, Table 5-12: Not Authorized a. When leaving active duty

• 2 months later...