Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

6 hours ago, LumberjackAxe said:

Most counties in the US also do the same thing.

I wouldn’t say most counties. Most states waive a percentage of property tax, even at 100%. It’s rare to find one that waives all of it. This is especially a good deal in TX since their property tax rate is one of the highest in the US.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, ViperMan said:

I fail to see how this is ever the case. If my calculations are correct, you ALWAYS make more money by taking it as terminal leave and collecting BAS + BAH + Base Pay > Base Pay. Am I missing some detail?

Bad assumption on my part, I just assumed they had mandatory separation date.  Misapplication of how orders are done in the ANG.  Most orders that I've been on (not all), will NOT be extended to take the leave, they just have a set end date.  If you're just working to the date you throw down with, then they slap the leave on after that, you're absolutely right. 

Very specific question inbound; maybe some AFPC ninja can help.

I've applied to set a DOS via vMPF (miscellaneous separation to shave a few days off an ADSC, surprisingly it's legitimately in the best interest of the AF so that they can PCS a replacement on time). At the end of the application, I entered my CC, his email address, and his (our) organization. Oddly enough, a notification never went to my CC, but went to one of our front office staff (a SSgt who apparently decided it didn't look important...so never acted on it before the long weekend).

Just wondering if anyone can tell (based on what's described above) if the organization I entered was too broad (causing it to go to our CSS instead of the CC directly) or if it'll go from our CSS to our CC once action is taken. My concern is based on the fact that the case status states "referred to Sq Commander," but it's not actually with him.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Prefontaine

• 2 weeks later...

I had some questions with regard to establishing a DOS that folks at my MPF couldn't really answer.  I have over 20 years and an ADSC for a bonus until this August.  I would be hot for orders (Cannon) which means I would have to 7 day opt IOT stay at my current location.  I'm in the process of finding a job.. getting certifications, education .. all that.  My concern is that I get orders, have to 7 day opt with no job on the outside.  If I got orders, would I be able to request a DOS at that time?  Or has that ship sailed at that point?  Is it a safer bet to establish a DOS for a year from now and move it as required based on finding a job and when I'm ready to get out?

20 hours ago, Chicken said:

I had some questions with regard to establishing a DOS that folks at my MPF couldn't really answer.  I have over 20 years and an ADSC for a bonus until this August.  I would be hot for orders (Cannon) which means I would have to 7 day opt IOT stay at my current location.  I'm in the process of finding a job.. getting certifications, education .. all that.  My concern is that I get orders, have to 7 day opt with no job on the outside.  If I got orders, would I be able to request a DOS at that time?  Or has that ship sailed at that point?  Is it a safer bet to establish a DOS for a year from now and move it as required based on finding a job and when I'm ready to get out?

Officer or enlisted?   If you’re an officer over 20, you’re not setting a DOS.  You’re applying to retire.   Once you have an approved application to retire, you have to apply to change the date, and you have to have a compelling reason to do so.  

Officer.. I finally talked to someone at MPF.  According to him if I receive orders I can just apply for retirement up to a year from that date.  So if I got orders today.. according to him.. I can apply for retirement 1 March 2023.  He also said that you can change that date up to 30 days prior?  Seems like that applied to a DOS.. not sure on really changing retirement dates.  If I found a great job on the outside would I be able to retire earlier?

20 minutes ago, Chicken said:

Officer.. I finally talked to someone at MPF.  According to him if I receive orders I can just apply for retirement up to a year from that date.  So if I got orders today.. according to him.. I can apply for retirement 1 March 2023.  He also said that you can change that date up to 30 days prior?  Seems like that applied to a DOS.. not sure on really changing retirement dates.  If I found a great job on the outside would I be able to retire earlier?

You can change a retirement date but it has to be approved by commander and AFPC based on needs of the Air Force, so not guaranteed.

3 hours ago, MCO said:

You can change a retirement date but it has to be approved by commander and AFPC based on needs of the Air Force, so not guaranteed.

Concur.

And remember, if you change the date, make sure DFAS-Indianapolis (they handle retired pay) is made aware of the date change.  Maybe they coordinate better in 2022, or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone familiar with or been through the process of a 180-day waiver for going direct into GS employment after retirement?

I got offered a perfect post USAF gig pending approval of a 180-day waiver.  Just curious if the waiver is a pretty smooth process or if it’s anything I should be sweating.

Not putting all the eggs in that basket and still taking a couple other non-government industry interviews while I wait out the process, but really wanting the GS gig to work out.  It’s not as much money but it’s doing some cool stuff.

Appreciate any knowledge y’all might drop!

zb

13 hours ago, zach braff said:

Anyone familiar with or been through the process of a 180-day waiver for going direct into GS employment after retirement?

I got offered a perfect post USAF gig pending approval of a 180-day waiver.  Just curious if the waiver is a pretty smooth process or if it’s anything I should be sweating.

Not putting all the eggs in that basket and still taking a couple other non-government industry interviews while I wait out the process, but really wanting the GS gig to work out.  It’s not as much money but it’s doing some cool stuff.

zb

When we hired folks into the IG office, it was usually just a formality for anyone under O-6. It adds some time to the hiring process, but I never saw one denied. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, zach braff said:

zb

There is no process for the applicant.  If the hiring authority wants you, they have to complete the waiver as part of the hiring process. 

So speaking of that.. a number of jobs on USA Jobs has the requirement below.  I've called MPF, retirement/separations and of course they're super helpful.  They have no idea what this is.  Is this a letter I draft up saying I'm getting out on X date signed by my commander or what?  Is this the same statement of service when you're getting a VA loan?

Are you an active duty service member? Active Duty Service Members are required to submit a statement of service printed on command letterhead and signed by the command. The statement of service must provide the branch of service, rate/rank, all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).

35 minutes ago, Chicken said:

So speaking of that.. a number of jobs on USA Jobs has the requirement below.  I've called MPF, retirement/separations and of course they're super helpful.  They have no idea what this is.  Is this a letter I draft up saying I'm getting out on X date signed by my commander or what?  Is this the same statement of service when you're getting a VA loan?

Are you an active duty service member? Active Duty Service Members are required to submit a statement of service printed on command letterhead and signed by the command. The statement of service must provide the branch of service, rate/rank, all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).

Doesn't the DD214 have all of this information?

1 hour ago, Muscle2002 said:

Doesn't the DD214 have all of this information?

Current GS-13 here and still have my USAJOBs account active.  If you are applying and haven't separated from active duty yet and its your initial active duty tour, this appears to be a requirement in lieu of the DD-214 since you won't necessarily have one yet.   I copied and pasted the full requirement that I found on a similar job posting:    ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act requires federal agencies to treat an eligible active duty service member as a veteran, disabled veteran, and preference eligible (as applicable) when applying for civil service positions before the effective release or discharge date. Appointment of military members before the release or discharge date is permissible if the member is on terminal leave. At the time the active duty member applies for a civil position, he or she must submit a "certification" memo in lieu of a DD-Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Active duty members applying for a civil service position without submitting a valid certification memo or DD-Form 214 with their application will render the member ineligible for the position. The certification memo must originate from the member's military service branch on official letterhead and contain the following:

• Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
  • Branch of Armed Forces
  • Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
  • Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
  • Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
  • Expected character of service (honorable or general) and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
  • Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
  • Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.

Note: The VOW Act provides tentative preference. If appointed, a DD Form-214 must be submitted upon receipt.

My recommendation:  draft up the MFR with all the details as listed above and have your unit commander sign it.  Then, upload to your docs and the application.     

Edited by VigilanteNav
  • Like 1

So what I'm looking for is A GS-13 (hopefully) job.  However I need to pay the bills and can't just leave AD and hope I get a job.  So I'd like to get a job then leave AD.  Is it possible to apply for a GS job.. get accepted.. and go on terminal?

9 minutes ago, Chicken said:

So what I'm looking for is A GS-13 (hopefully) job.  However I need to pay the bills and can't just leave AD and hope I get a job.  So I'd like to get a job then leave AD.  Is it possible to apply for a GS job.. get accepted.. and go on terminal?

what's your confidence level on getting this job (IE, has the hiring authority told you it's yours)? if it's less than 100%, I'd delay until you have a few months of expenses saved. 

I don't have a specific job in mind.. I have plenty of $ saved.. but would rather not dip into them.  I'm just trying to figure out how this all works.  I've found a number of jobs that are remote which has opened up opportunities.. but I was not sure if I could apply.. then get the job.. then hit the button? 

18 hours ago, Chicken said:

To even be considered, you need to have an established date of separation, a statement of service letter from your commander (or equivalent on g series) with all the data listed above, and you need to be within 120 days of your date of separation.  

If you meet those criteria and all other screening criteria, you’ll get considered for an interview.  If you get selected through the interview process, you’ll get a conditional offer.  Once you accept the conditional offer, the hiring authority drafts and processes a 180 day waiver.  If the waiver gets approved, you get a firm offer and set up your start date.  

BL, you’re taking a leap of faith.  You shouldn’t think of GS employment as a safety net.  If GS is your primary COA, make sure you have 6-9 months of savings to cover a potential period of unemployment.  

Edited by HU&W

On 3/25/2022 at 12:46 AM, HU&W said:

To even be considered, you need to have an established date of separation, a statement of service letter from your commander (or equivalent on g series) with all the data listed above, and you need to be within 120 days of your date of separation.  

Super info.  Might you have the reg or other law/statute that cites this?

In my case my perception is that the hiring office bringing me on doesn't quite know the process and I'm going to have to walk them through it.

zb

On 3/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, zach braff said:

Super info.  Might you have the reg or other law/statute that cites this?

In my case my perception is that the hiring office bringing me on doesn't quite know the process and I'm going to have to walk them through it.

zb

https://www.opm.gov/faqs/QA.aspx?fid=a9a3f49e-901d-42e1-a720-442a0393c6df&pid=2b80b400-c91c-4062-8b86-4fc8688e48c3

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im trying to join the reserves after 21 years…not trying to get retired pay (was already denied)just take an open TR spot. Anyone know if I can separate from AD post 20 vs have to retire?