Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

On 4/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, Guardian said:

Not what I was asking. If I didn’t reach a 20 year active duty retirement and miss it by one day but then roll the time spent into my technician job then I don’t think she would get any of that retirement as a technician. Is that right? She would just get a portion of my DSG retirement.

He answered it.  It's not automatic at that point. The ex's lawyer isn't going to throw up their hands and exclaim, "It's over...he got us."  They'll present an argument to the judge about your income and change of jobs.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, Guardian said:

Not what I was asking. If I didn’t reach a 20 year active duty retirement and miss it by one day but then roll the time spent into my technician job then I don’t think she would get any of that retirement as a technician. Is that right? She would just get a portion of my DSG retirement.

She'll get whatever the judge orders based on the totality of your income. Ducking out of AD before getting a retirement to covert it to a Reserve/ANG/DoD civilian retirement doesn't give you any special protection. It just means alimony won't be deducted automatically from your retirement check.

Edited by pawnman

Sorry. Not doing a good job of communicating the set up.

Court order is already in. Has been for years. Only talks about military retirement. If I go tech and buy back all of my time then the only mil retirement happens at age 60 when DSG retirement kicks in and she can have a small portion of that. But pushing all of my mil time to Tech to get GS retirement doesn’t meet the criteria of mil retirement. It’s civilian service.

Shoot holes in that please.

56 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Court order is already in. Has been for years. Only talks about military retirement. If I go tech and buy back all of my time then the only mil retirement happens at age 60 when DSG retirement kicks in and she can have a small portion of that. But pushing all of my mil time to Tech to get GS retirement doesn’t meet the criteria of mil retirement. It’s civilian service.

Ah.  I'd legit run it by a lawyer, because I think (not a law-dog) that she could still sue/petition to have it changed and depending on the local rules/laws it could mean various outcomes.  My divorce was extremely simple, and I've seen a lot of other healthy dissolutions. 

However... the bad ones (and no idea if that's what you're in) people snipe at each other for years over the money/kids through the courts for changes to prior agreements.  It's never set in stone from my watching experience.

6 hours ago, Guardian said:

She gets exactly 50% of your mil ret based on number points you have/had when you divorce - whenever you start drawing it.  Sometimes more, rarely less.  20 yrs has nothing to do with it and for the most part, neither does AD/ARC.  When/if you buy your mil time towards FERS Civ time, that doesn’t eliminate your mil retirement..it has no bearing whatsoever. Only issue is when you choose to begin drawing it. Buying your mil time only increases your civ retirement, does nothing to your mil retirement. 

lots if variables in the above, however when maximized correctly, you can create quite the healthy/wealthy DEFINED BENEFIT RETIREMENT PLAN as a technician.  I have many career airline buds who envy my retirement pension(s)x4 - granted they are all legacy big airline bros who got royally fckd by bankruptcies and mergers. 

BLUF: your current (possibly ex) wife is entitled to and will get 50% of your 19+ yrs (insert grade here) military retirement whenever you begin drawing it, whether now or age 60. 

• Like 1

What is x 4???? Interested.

Completely understand your post. What I’m getting at is if I buy my time into my tech Retirement since it was once mil time, that doesn’t mean she will get my tech retirement. Just a portion of the dsg which is significantly less than 20 active retirement right?

37 minutes ago, Guardian said:

What is x 4???? Interested.

Completely understand your post. What I’m getting at is if I buy my time into my tech Retirement since it was once mil time, that doesn’t mean she will get my tech retirement. Just a portion of the dsg which is significantly less than 20 active retirement right?

Mil Ret/Civ Svc Ret/VA disability (tax free)/SSN at 62 = 4x once/mo club rest of your life.  

Your mil retirement is governed by law and your original post talked about having 19yrs AD, so she will get half’ish of that (assuming you’re still married). You will get the other half of that full mil retirement.  Buying your mil time just gives you additional ret credit within CivSvc/FERS. The civilian piece is completely separate and if you buy it it’s yours only, again, assuming you’re no longer married. She has no claim to what you build in civil service if that’s what it sounds like you’re asking. Unless of course, you’re married and start civ service with her in tow, then she could claim a portion of the time she is married to you while you build a new civ svc retirement, however that’s all negotiable in divorce court, no law to her entitlement of that. 

just remember, if at any time you elect a “20 yr AD” retirement, you can no longer buy that 20 years towards a civ svc retirement unless you forego your AD ret. You MUST buy back mil time prior to civ retirement and retire title 10 reserve retirement to collect both in full...it’s a pretty good gig (4x). If you had 19 AD and did that, you would certainly pick up enough points to retire (7200) at anytime if you decided to blow off the tech gig at some point and go fly elsewhere or live off your bitcoins.  And you would have most likely been promoted another time or two.  No different than any AD 20 ret.  It opens up a lot of options....last point, you don’t have to buyback all of your AD time, could only buy the cheapest years early on....think 4x and DEFINED BENEFIT = monthly annuity rest of life vs worrying about having to manage a lifestyle on 401k withdrawals.  

Now what the hell is “dsg”?

Edited by bcuziknow

Thanks for the post. DSG = drill status guardsman

So if I’m not getting an active duty retirement because I only did 19 years and bought that 19 years into a technician job then she gets none of it right? Just the portion from my part timer retirement when I turn 60 assuming I did get 20 good years of service.

Correct..

caveat - I wouldn’t “buy it back” while still married with “commingled” funds/accounts because any sleaze divorce attorney would pounce on that. 

lastly - once you begin a civil service position, you have three years to “buy it back” interest free. After that three years, interest accumulates annually.

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

Anyone have any golden LinkedIn account tips? I'm setting up my profile for the first time. 

Get a professional photographer to do your profile picture, should cost around $200 or so.  You might be able to get away with iPhone portrait mode but don't use a casual or funny profile if you are serious about looking for a job.

Use keywords in your description or history that civilians can understand and search for.  Instead of SQ/DO try something like Assistant to the Regional Manager.  You get the idea.

Golden LinkedIN might also come with online courses you can take in different fields that gets you certificates that will go on your LinkedIN profile as well.

22 hours ago, panchbarnes said:

Get a professional photographer to do your profile picture, should cost around $200 or so.  You might be able to get away with iPhone portrait mode but don't use a casual or funny profile if you are serious about looking for a job.

Use keywords in your description or history that civilians can understand and search for.  Instead of SQ/DO try something like Assistant to the Regional Manager.  You get the idea.

Golden LinkedIN might also come with online courses you can take in different fields that gets you certificates that will go on your LinkedIN profile as well.

Great ideas, thanks for the inputs. Any idea ls on what to emphasize or how to write on myself for seeking non-airline jobs? 

Depends on the type of industry or position you are pursuing, emphasize keywords that align with what you are thinking. 

In my humble opinion, these are decent LinkedIN profiles (just did a quick random search) to emulate, and TAP will go over some of this stuff as well.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/kalethwright/  "- Advised Commander/CEO on leadership, health/welfare, and utilization of 5,700 personnel at world’s largest air refueling wing resulting in successful execution of 56,000 flying hours and 6,500 missions with a 97% mission effectiveness rating"  The focus is on the word CEO to help non-military types understand the position of Commander. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/joanne-bass/  "People are My Passion — Building Strong Leaders is My Mission 19th Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (CMSAF) at United States Air Force"  Emphasis on People are my passion-building...  feel good phrase that should connect with non-military types.  "Senior Executive Manager, Professional Development Expert, Team Builder & Coach, and Military Veteran with 28-years of proven experience in the United States Air Force. Senior leader, advisor, and consultant with a broad set of technical skills and a wide range of large organizational management and leadership experience in the joint, special operations, and international communities. Possesses extensive knowledge in strategic and organizational management and able to build successful and diverse teams to accomplish goals and objectives. "

Both of good write ups for the about section.  Chief Wright's profile picture is onpoint. 

Thoughts/insight on the 3 years to retire in rank for O-5 and up rule?

Was thinking about punching at the 20 mark next year as I’m in a great position right now to transfer over to industry at my current location and keep the fam stable.  However, if I do I’ll be at only 2yrs 8 mos as an O-5 and as I read the rules that would mean I’d retire in the rank of major.  I don’t mind having a few months of O-4 in the high-3 pay calculation but still wish to retire in the rank I earned.

Any avenues on getting the requirement waived?  

In my case extension isn’t really an option in my current gig and I’m obviously not keen on taking another PCS or remote just to cover for four months to meet the O-5 retirement rule...  PCS would likely be to command which is generally two years.

zb 

Does anyone know how TSP works when you transition to the Reserves? I was under the impression I would still be able to contribute to the account that was created when I joined active duty. 

I’m transitioning to an IMA gig and already separated from AD, but the reserve Det I’m supposed to in-process into is dragging its feet on getting me gained into the unit (already learning the true meaning of IMA; I am alone). Since I’ve just been sitting in the IRR in the meantime, the TSP thinks I have separated from federal service and sent me a little packet saying so. 

My question is, once I am gained into the reserves can I reactivate that account and make contributions to it? The TSP packet I was sent, as well as the TSP website, aren’t very clear on that. I’d hate to have to start a whole new TSP account when I already have one with a healthy balance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Why? Are you planning on putting rank on your OEF/OIF veteran hat? Silver Oak Leaf in your front license plate holder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSW/OIF/OEF/OND/OOD/OIR/OFP.  Gonna need a big hat 🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Guardian said:

Always active. Made contributions on AD and it’s the same account as full time (non GS/technician) guard. If you are GS or civil servant they start a separate TSP account.

Not sure about reserves.

You would think it would make sense that contributions could be made to the same account. 

But it’s also a govt run entity we’re talking about here. 

15 hours ago, zach braff said:

Thoughts/insight on the 3 years to retire in rank for O-5 and up rule?

Was thinking about punching at the 20 mark next year as I’m in a great position right now to transfer over to industry at my current location and keep the fam stable.  However, if I do I’ll be at only 2yrs 8 mos as an O-5 and as I read the rules that would mean I’d retire in the rank of major.  I don’t mind having a few months of O-4 in the high-3 pay calculation but still wish to retire in the rank I earned.

Any avenues on getting the requirement waived?  

In my case extension isn’t really an option in my current gig and I’m obviously not keen on taking another PCS or remote just to cover for four months to meet the O-5 retirement rule...  PCS would likely be to command which is generally two years.

zb 

The only way that you can get the requirement waived is if you are forced to medically retire.

Life comes down to choices—what’s more important?  That all being said, I guess you could turn down your next assignment and then if your retirement date doesn’t get to you to 3 years TIG, then you could just apply for a 4-6 month extension...I guess it would have a decent chance at getting approved.

I believe there is an option but it goes to Sec Def if I remember right. I would ask your MPF to look into it.

Or just work 4 more months. And don’t show up but max 40 hours a week or telework odd hours so that you can start the other job. If you don’t meet the AF standards for 4 months exactly the way they expect, who cares at that point?

On 3/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, brickhistory said:

I used Career Pro Global, Inc. in 2016.

Pricey - $1600-ish, but worth it.  My selection for interview rate went up dramatically vs. my version.  They know how to use every buzzword needed to hit the OPM screening algorithm/clueless HR first screener who match, literally, job words to resume words.

Bruce Hillman was my guy.  Unknown if company and/or him are still around.

Good luck.

BTW, I was supposed to be running a B&B in Sedona now instead of just retiring from civil service.  But a crashed real estate market in 2008 (my retirement year) changed those plans when kids need feeding and housing.  

YMMV.

Resume’s are job specific- LinkedIn is no longer a thing (other than like other social media sites, mostly used to look at you and disqualify you for some dumbazz reason). USAJobs (govt jobs) require a whole different approach to application, need to use govt speak. And job specific. It’s the govt..nuff said!

Many have asked, Yes I do resumes - easier and far below Career Pro Global. - just look at their reviews

Edited by bcuziknow

Apply now for the waiver. Should be fairly simple and approved. Worse case, transfer to AFR/ANG billet and do nothing for 6 mos and retire with 3 yrs TIG - don’t retire as a major 

You can req the waiver as part of your retirement req. AFPC policy is to only approve ICW a force drawdown program, but you never know.
But to respond to the AFR/ANG billet suggestion: non-active duty time does not count towards a regular retirement TIG requirement.
IOW to regular retire as an O-5 requires 3 yrs TIG all on active duty. Is it doable in the ARC? Yes, but it might take awhile to cobble together a bunch of orders (or not, if you deploy), and IMO not worth the hassle when the high-36 for the situation is hardly different and the only effect is having O-4 on your retired ID card.
I suppose if you were recalled you’d compete for promotion again, but this shouldn’t be a consideration.