Retirement / Separation Considerations

Jughead

I know it has been said on here repeatedly, but I've already seen the differences in person.  Get a vets org to help you do the paperwork.  You will not be able to do it better than them.  I went with DAV in the San Antonio area and the dude helped find things that I: 1) forgot about, 2) didn't think needed to be listed (ex. allergies).

48 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

I know it has been said on here repeatedly, but I've already seen the differences in person.  Get a vets org to help you do the paperwork.  You will not be able to do it better than them.  I went with DAV in the San Antonio area and the dude helped find things that I: 1) forgot about, 2) didn't think needed to be listed (ex. allergies).

This, you have no clue what you’re doing, don’t file your claim yourself.

Edited by Sua Sponte

19 hours ago, HossHarris said:

You can start fairly early out .... and the VA will work your stuff through their wickets. But you get zero feedback until the day you turn into a mister. Then poof, it’s 75% through its steps. 

start early. 

expect the VA and your base dude that helps put your package together (sts) to fuck it away early and often. 

I submitted close to 180 days out and got scheduled soon after... FYSA, my DAV (wright patt) was awesome,  but he books 6-9 months out, no joke! Spent 3-4 hours with him, made everything easy... 

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, MyCS said:

If you don't want a retirement medal and don't plan on having a ceremony. Can anyone make you write a medal? 

I just received an MSM before I PCA'd over into my new position. I'm just tired and a medal would be more queep.

What will they do...not let you retire?

And if they KEEP insisting, just give them the most scribbled in crayon, nonsensical citation you can.  Force them to keep sending it back for corrections until your final out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

What will they do...not let you retire?

And if they KEEP insisting, just give them the most scribbled in crayon, nonsensical citation you can.  Force them to keep sending it back for corrections until your final out.

The day before I got out Flight Med said I had to get a Yellow Fever shot. I told them I wasn't getting that shot and had no desire to visit anywhere where Yellow Fever was prevalent. The NCOIC said if I didn't get the shot, he'd tell the Med Group/CC, since it was reported to her for non-compliance. I told him that no one was giving me a shot and that at noon the next day when I was an official civilian, I'd personally tell her to fuck off.

The next day I picked up my records and they said I didn't need the shot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MyCS said:

For SHPE, did you guys go through the VA or have a rep at flight medicine do it? This is more important to me than a medal or a ceremony.

Mine was flight medicine some special out-processing office, but COVID was starting so YMMV.  I was at Lackland though, so it might be diff for you.  It took like...5 min.  They didn't really do anything but sign some papers and ask if I had any issues.  I didn't notice any physical/mental differences when we went through it, however when I got my VA disability doctor review...

It was contracted out by the VA, to some really old doc.  He was super chill and reiterated, go until it's uncomfortable. Looking back, it was the first time in 21 years where I was honest with myself about how I felt physically...I left there in pain. I didn't have to suck it up for a PT test, to set the example for Amn or anything.  My body just went, yea...all this stuff is fucked that you've been ignoring it.  A testament to how strong our minds can be.

I am curious about terminal from overseas assignments.  How does that work?  I'll be at an embassy, and I'd like to do the disappear thing before it's all said and done, but with my position, they can't really bring in my replacement while I'm still there.  They have to PCS me back to where I'm retiring, but can that happen while I'm on terminal? Third overseas assignment, but never really seen anyone retire from one, so in an 18 year career, I haven't seen this particular situation.

6 hours ago, slackline said:

they can't really bring in my replacement while I'm still there.

Sucks for them. I don't see how this is your problem. You retire when you retire;  if the embassy can't figure out how to bridge the gap then..... trop mauvais, tellement triste

6 minutes ago, Homestar said:

Sucks for them. I don't see how this is your problem. You retire when you retire;  if the embassy can't figure out how to bridge the gap then..... trop mauvais, tellement triste

I guess that's not a problem. Still curious about terminal and overseas moving home.

SLACK. From what I understand it works normally. Save leave and use it as terminal. I believe for overseas you get 30 instead of 20 days for permissive TDY for job or house hunting.

Also there is a program that you can spend your final six to 12 months (I think) prior to retiring as a paid (by the Air Force at your rank/grade and time in service) in a job as an intern. I forget the name of the program or if it’s open to officers. But if you aren’t about airlines and want something else this might be a really cool option to get on the job training on the AF dime and the company you go to work for doesn’t have to pay your salary for that time. Win for everyone.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Guardian said:

SLACK. From what I understand it works normally. Save leave and use it as terminal. I believe for overseas you get 30 instead of 20 days for permissive TDY for job or house hunting.

Also there is a program that you can spend your final six to 12 months (I think) prior to retiring as a paid (by the Air Force at your rank/grade and time in service) in a job as an intern. I forget the name of the program or if it’s open to officers. But if you aren’t about airlines and want something else this might be a really cool option to get on the job training on the AF dime and the company you go to work for doesn’t have to pay your salary for that time. Win for everyone.

The skills program is open for officers.  I approved it for an O working for me, but as you probably already know, is totally dependent on the organization allowing you to leave.  It is a net loss for the organization unless you are somehow able to work a drug deal to get a replacement in there anyway.  I imagine for me, it won’t be an option, but believe me I’ll give it a shot.

I didn’t know about 30 vs 20 for PTDY, so that is nice.  That was helpful info, but I don’t know if it answers my question or not, at the risk of sounding obtuse.  If an assignment is a controlled 3 years, does retirement trump assignment time?  COVID keeps messing with my timeline.  Pushed a class start date for me back 4 months, which in turn pushes assignment/retirement time back.  

So, let’s say it was 1 Sep this year for the DEROS.  Can I start terminal prior to that date, or do I have to wait until 1 Sep to get out of there?  I know all of this probably makes me look stupid, but I’ve just never dealt with this situation, which isn’t all that weird.  My first overseas assignment was my first ops tour, my second was an exchange, so I wasn’t exactly in a position to hear about how retirements went down from overseas.  I was either deployed all the time and too junior, or surrounded by Frenchies during those overseas tours.  

Other thing, can you do your final PCS while on terminal? 

People I’ve helped retire CONUS were always straightforward and easy.  

20 hours ago, MyCS said:

For SHPE, did you guys go through the VA or have a rep at flight medicine do it? This is more important to me than a medal or a ceremony.

It depends on the Doc really,  because in general they have never done one or at least they're not very experienced at it... which, as you know, can be very good for you or very bad.  In the long run both could be bad. 1) if they rate you lower then you should be rated then you'll have to appeal and everything will be re-evaluated... 2) if they rate you too high you'll most likely be re-evaluated down the road (could happen regardless) and it could be lowered, of course you'll bank some coin until then.  Ive heard both outcomes... but sounds like the flt doc is pretty much reading the requirements while s/he is doing the exam.

46 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It depends on the Doc really,  because in general they have never done one or at least they're not very experienced at it... which, as you know, can be very good for you or very bad.  In the long run both could be bad. 1) if they rate you lower then you should be rated then you'll have to appeal and everything will be re-evaluated... 2) if they rate you too high you'll most likely be re-evaluated down the road (could happen regardless) and it could be lowered, of course you'll bank some coin until then.  Ive heard both outcomes... but sounds like the flt doc is pretty much reading the requirements while s/he is doing the exam.

And before some one calls me out, no the flt doc doesnt rate you... but they have a guide that informs them what to look at and record... a lot of it is range of motion (ROM) and if you cant go past a certain angle (without pain). If they dont break out a protractor, they're just guessing.

Hmm. Ok. Let me restate to make sure I understand. I will investigate.

You are saying since you accepted a 3 year controlled tour is that what you have to go by or since you hit 20 half way through (in my example) can you just retire?

Does that reflect your question? Confirm active duty?

Ah yes. Skills bridge. Seems like a cool opportunity.

50 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Hmm. Ok. Let me restate to make sure I understand. I will investigate.

You are saying since you accepted a 3 year controlled tour is that what you have to go by or since you hit 20 half way through (in my example) can you just retire?

Does that reflect your question? Confirm active duty?

Ah yes. Skills bridge. Seems like a cool opportunity.

Yes, it will take me to about 22, but I'm happy to do the whole three years. Just curious for the end of the assignment.

Anyone here use TRICARE reserve retired? 

I am a guard bum and will hang it up this year.  I have tried calling TRICARE these past two days to get info and each time it’s “office closed call back tomorrow” after waiting in the queue for 40-50mins. 

I have multiple interviews lined up, so not supper worried about health care.But just want some info on TRICARE reserve retired. Like can my minor kids be on it? Is it worth it, are there major differences between reserve select and reserve retired? 

Thanks in advance

“are there major differences between reserve select and reserve retired?”

yes - age 60. Unless you have (7200) AD ret points, you no longer qualify for Tricare (Reserve) For Life until you reach age 60.

Edited by bcuziknow

All information is on the Tricare website. Brief big picture:
-Tricare Reserve Select: available to SelRes (drilling reserve or guard) for ~$300 /mo family
-Tricare Retired Reserve for under age 60 retired reserve for ~$1000 /mo family
-Tricare select/prime for retired reserve age 60-65 for ~$25/mo family
-Tricare For Life for 65+ as a supplement to Medicare Part B (you have to pay Medicare premiums, but currently TFL is free)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Chida said:

All information is on the Tricare website. Brief big picture:
-Tricare Reserve Select: available to SelRes (drilling reserve or guard) for ~$300 /mo family
-Tricare Retired Reserve for under age 60 retired reserve for ~$1000 /mo family
-Tricare select/prime for retired reserve age 60-65 for ~$25/mo family
-Tricare For Life for 65+ as a supplement to Medicare Part B (you have to pay Medicare premiums, but currently TFL is free)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that’s a kick in the balls!  So much for that one...  Is that separate for AD retirement?  Sorry for the completely ignorant question.  18 years in, and I never thought about this...

Edited by slackline

Since Tricare Reserve Retired is so expensive:
I get insurance thru my employer, but if I were ever laid off and had to get insurance on my own I would do the VA for myself and for the wife I’d get Obamacare for ~$400/mo.

If your wife works then I’d see about getting it for both of you from her employer.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:59 AM, 17D_guy said:

go until it's uncomfortable

Ditto this, and honestly I would be even more conservative. After I talked to my VA rep, when you start to feel pain, is when you stop...You can absolutely push through until it hurts a lot more, but what's uncomfortable today, will be way worse in 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

The above info is for retired reserve. If you’re regular retired then you get Select/Prime for ~$25/ mo from the time you retire until age 65 at which point TFL/Medicare starts. I know select/prime have different costs but they’re both currently very cheap and that info is on their website.