Tax info

Toro

True...but my percieved issue is whether to file joint or seperate because we are residents of different states.

File joint. The only reason to file separate is to screw your spouse...there's a couple key credits and exemptions that aren't available to those filing separate. Your tax status at the federal level need not be the same for states. You can go joint at the federal level then separate for your respective states.

File joint. The only reason to file separate is to screw your spouse...there's a couple key credits and exemptions that aren't available to those filing separate. Your tax status at the federal level need not be the same for states. You can go joint at the federal level then separate for your respective states.

Check both methods. My wife and I get back ~$100 more from MFS than MFJ. Next year, who knows?

The best thing is that the HR Block software allows you to compare MFJ to MFS as part of the MFJ process.

I purchased a vehicle, registered, and paid tax in the state where I am stationed. I claim residency and pay income tax in my home of record state. This is the first time I've had to pay any significant taxes on a vehicle purchase. Is there any way to claim this? Dumb question I know. That's what I get for buying beater cars for the last 10 years.

Edited by snoopyeast

TOPIC: Policy and Procedures Update - Extension of the FICA Percentage Reduction for 2012

1. This message is to inform you that the president signed the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012 which, amongst other things, continued the reduction in the FICA withholding percentage for the remainder of calendar year 2012.

2. Based on the continuation of the 2011 reduction in the FICA percentage, the FICA withholding rate remains at 4.2% on earnings up to the maximum amount subject to withholding ($110,100.00). Medicare withholding remains at 1.45% on all wages earned.

3. DJMS [pay system] has been updated to reflect the continuation of the FICA withholding percentage reduction for both Active and Reserve\Air National Guard components.

4. This message is effective February 22, 2012.

DFAS-JFLM/IN

Military Pay Operations

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone received the "prove you were in a combat zone" letter from the IRS? It states "Please include a copy of your military orders showing your deployment dates for the combat zone or contingency operation." Do you think the DTS orders along with a paid travel voucher will be enough proof for the IRS?

Has anyone received the "prove you were in a combat zone" letter from the IRS? It states "Please include a copy of your military orders showing your deployment dates for the combat zone or contingency operation." Do you think the DTS orders along with a paid travel voucher will be enough proof for the IRS?

Yup...I received one. Just sent a copy of all the military pay orders. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Interesting, I haven't seen a letter yet. How long ago did you file?

Interesting... because I filed before I deployed yet again... and now I am wondering if I have an unopened letter sitting at home. Maybe thats why I don't see my refund in my bank account yet!?! I would hope my government W-2 would remove any question that I am trying to cheat the government out of their precious tax dollars.

I'm still waiting for DFAS to unfuck my CZTE and TSP contributions for Dec...Finance decided they'd give me CZTE for Jan/Feb 12 instead of Dec 11/Jan 12, and since I had already maxed out my deferred TSP for the year on my Oct LES (hit the 16.5K limit), no TSP was contributed in Dec. But since I was in a combat zone, and should have received CZTE, TSP contributions should have been made in the exempt area. So my W-2 Box 1 is reading 11k higher than it should right now.

Finance opened a CMS case, but it's been more than 3-5 business days and no word yet from DFAS, and no W-2C posted to MyPay. I hate Finance.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a tax consultant or firm they've had a good experience with? My tax situation became much more complicated this year, and I'd rather hire an expert than spend another top 3 tour wading through IRS regulations.

I recently received a "notice of value" for my house. On it are exemptions I can claim for being the head of household and a veteran, but I called and apparently i only get those if I'm a NM resident (right now I claim TX for obvious reasons). The assessor told me I'd only save about $150/yr in property taxes with the exemptions, so it's not worth paying NM income tax in order to get them, right? I've been searching the web but haven't found any good way to determine what I would be paying in state income tax.

Thanks,

RM

• 2 years later...

DFAS says the W-2’s for Active Duty will be available on MyPay on 24 Jan 2015. Reserve and DOD Civ employees likely already have access to theirs. You can see their full schedule for the other unique forms you may need (Voluntary Sep Pay, 1099R, PCS, etc.) here:http://www.dfas.mil/pressroom/dfasnewsreleasearchive/Release141201.html

If you already have your documents, you could file via snail mail, but that would undoubtedly be slower than waiting to file electronically. However you can’t e-file before 20 Jan 2015. The federal deadline for either filing or requesting an extension is 15 Apr 2015. Most states have the same deadline.

E-filing with automatic bank deposit is the fastest method, with an expected return of 7-21 days from the date the e-filed forms are accepted. So for rough estimates of a given AD member, if you receive and file your W-2 on the first possible date, 24 Jan 2015, you can expect 1-3 days before acceptance by the IRS, and then the money would hit your account between 2 Feb 2015 and 17 Feb 2015.

If you discover you’ll owe money and need an extension for federal filing, you can usually request it through the electronic tax software you are using. The automatic deadline extension is 15 Oct 2015. If this happens to you, I recommend you re-complete your W-4 on MyPay using the IRS withholding guide here: http://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator

Alternatively, if you get a very large return, you probably ought to re-accomplish your W-4 using that same guide above because you have essentially given the government a 0% APR loan on your own money, which you otherwise could have invested, put in a Roth IRA, bought hookers and blow, etc.

To prevent non-military types from accessing the promo link, here's the Military OneSource Program page for free federal and state tax return filing through H&R Block: https://www.militaryonesourceeap.org/achievesolutions/en/militaryonesource/Content.do?centerId=1&contentId=33057&topicId=1583

Click the orange "File Now" button to activate the promo code and go to the H&R Block site.

If you’ve previously used TurboTax (like me), know that they’ve raised their rates. You can log-in to TurboTax, download last years’ return as a .pdf, then import it to H&R Block for a quick conversion to their system.

Intuit pulled a lot of features from Deluxe and moved them to the more expensive Premium version. I dumped TT several years ago for H&R Block and I've never looked back.

It is also worth considering a tax preparer because some of them can get you more legal tax money back than their fee costs.

I've used Tax Slayer for free since about 2006 and never had a complaint.

Never used the state tax feature since my state of residence doesn't charge income tax for out-of-state military members, but Tax Slayer does charge a fee to file a state return.

TRICARE Prime is the most common coverage for AD and beneficiaries and covers the ACA minimum for the tax year to avoid the penalty. Most variants of TRICARE also cover the ACA minimums, such as TRICARE For Life (TFL) and the US Family Health Plan. Read the guide here for information on the less common TRICARE plans to determine if your plan did qualify for the ACA coverage:http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files/TRICARE/Publications/FactSheets/ACA_FS.pdf

It answers questions related to TAMP, TRICARE Plus, TRICARE Young Adult (TYA), Continued Health Care Benefit Program (CHCBP), and others.