18X Pipeline Q & A

I graduated OTS in 2006. A guy in my flight was in your situation. Even though his wife was scheduled to induce the birth on a weekend; they would not let him leave, even though he would have left after class on Friday and returned in time for class on Monday. YMMV.

This was while at OTS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

And yes, you can drop Reapers out of Randolph. It is becoming the norm now, rather than the exception to the rule.

does anyone know what the general trend is for RPA drops in terms of aircraft and location? is it about an even distribution among Pred/Reaper/GH, or does it vary quite a bit from class to class?

Reapers - Cannon

Reapers - Creech

Reapers- Ellsworth

Global Chickens- Grand Forks

Preds are starting to phase out. One to two Global Hawks per drop, which is typically 6-8 people.

EDIT: I take that back, Preds seem to be continuing to drop in a normal fashion. It's hard to totally predict these things lately.

Edited by Keydet

(Assuming i make it through RPA training)

Let me preface this with a qualifying statement: I will go wherever the AF sends me and fly whatever the AF needs, without bitching, moaning, or complaint. I am just grateful for the opportunity to fly RPAs. I only ask the following questions to know if the possibility exists, as my wife is stationed at Nellis, and will remain there while I am at training. If we get separated (aka I don't go to Creech after training), she wont be eligible to PCS unless she extends her ADSC, which she wasn't planning on doing. Now please proceed with that in mind.

If you get assigned a specific airframe, is there any chance of switching? Or is there a chance at switching your assigned base?

Thanks for the listen.

Joint spouse assignment?

that's what i am hoping occurs. My wife and i have been apart for a year due to us getting married after we had already been assigned separate bases. I was overseas, she wasnt. Very hard. Now we are getting join spouse for my current AFSC, but the RPA slot will change that and already pull us apart for the training time. Needless to say, it is a catch-22. On one hand, i get my dream job and know i want to do it for the rest of my career. On the other hand, we get about year apart, guaranteed, with the chance of yet another year apart if i dont go back to Creech for joint-spouse. Again, we knew this going in and will suck it up and march on, but i figured it doesnt hurt to ask what i asked.

BLUF: A fairly legitimate reason for a specific base can fly.

The folks that ultimately decide what your drop is are very keen on family matters. If they are aware of the situation, then in all likelihood, you will be assigned to Creech. You can help yourself by studying your ass off and helping others in your class to the best of your ability. Unlike UPT, there is currently only one training squadron, collocated with AFPC. It is fairly easy for certain people to help you out if you're not a d-bag.

Additionally, there have been instances of people switching assignments before proceeding to FTU (ie: I'll take your Cannon assignment and you take my Creech assignment).

Reapers - Cannon

Reapers - Creech

Reapers- Ellsworth

Global Chickens- Grand Forks

Preds are starting to phase out. One to two Global Hawks per drop, which is typically 6-8 people.

EDIT: I take that back, Preds seem to be continuing to drop in a normal fashion. It's hard to totally predict these things lately.

thanks - good info. at what point in the RPA training do the aircraft/base drops occur? end of RIQ? beginning or end of RFC?

BLUF: A fairly legitimate reason for a specific base can fly.

The folks that ultimately decide what your drop is are very keen on family matters. If they are aware of the situation, then in all likelihood, you will be assigned to Creech. You can help yourself by studying your ass off and helping others in your class to the best of your ability. Unlike UPT, there is currently only one training squadron, collocated with AFPC. It is fairly easy for certain people to help you out if you're not a d-bag.

Additionally, there have been instances of people switching assignments before proceeding to FTU (ie: I'll take your Cannon assignment and you take my Creech assignment).

Thanks, i appreciate the help. that was what i was hoping for!

how is being an RPA pilot-- i have a couple days to accept or decline it.

Prepare to work long shift-work hours and not get holidays off. YMMV depending on what base you end up at, but that is the general theme. I personally enjoy the career field, there are some great people that I work with on a daily basis and I enjoy the close teamwork with the enlisted sensors. Everyone's opinion is different on their situation, but I chose this line of work and I do not regret it at all. By the time you are getting close to your first promotion, you will already be conducting the mission and supporting ground operations.

• 2 months later...

I will be heading to RIQ in mid June. Until then I have some down time, is there anything I can do to prepare for the course?

If your on casual status: Enjoy your free time now, you will never have so much again. Also, learn how to operate a popcorn popper. That's an essential Lt level task in an operational squadron.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I found out today that I got an RPA slot. There's a lot that can happen between now and the completion of IFS, but I'm looking to see if anyone can provide some more insight to my situation.

I'm stationed overseas (PACAF) w/ a DEROS in Jan '15. I have three dependents (spouse, kids).

I'm just trying to figure out where a PCS fits in... At what point (from IFS, to RIQ/RFC, to FTU...) do I have to uproot the family and deal w/ HHGs?

When I went through in 2010 anyone that was OCONUS was PCS'd to Randolph prior to IFS. When IFS/RIQ/RFC complete a couple months later, they PCS'd TDY enroute to Holloman onto Creech or Cannon.

Edited by Chaff

• 3 months later...

If your on casual status: Enjoy your free time now, you will never have so much again. Also, learn how to operate a popcorn popper. That's an essential Lt level task in an operational squadron.

I am in the same boat. Besides popcorn operation is there anything to help prep for RIQ? hahaha (They exempted me from IFS, so RIQ is my first training experience)