Jalapeno Popcorn

jazzdude

Never put jalepeno juice into a hot kettle. That is how mustard gas is created. [citation needed]

"If my calculations are correct, this will create ice... OH NO, KILLER MUSTARD GAS!"

If my eyes dont burn when I first step into the building said popcorn has been made in, it isn't hot enough.

Agreed

Holy shit... Ron Swanson would approve.

I was seriously considering going to the Supreme TCNs to get some uncooked bacon for the machine we had at KAF, that's how good it is (unfortunately it only really works with uncooked bacon, it frying up in the kettle is what does the trick.)

So, for all that information, requested or not, I have a question I would like answered in return: Have any of you guys made a decent batch of jalapeño corn at home or somewhere else, without the aid of an actual popcorn machine? I've tried just popping some bagged corn at home and then cooking some sliced jalapeños in a skillet with some olive oil, but only managed to singe my eyes, set off my fire alarms, and incite the rage of my spousal roommate... Any advice or ideas?

I'm getting drunker, and my ideas may not be getting any better as the evening continues. Any help would be appreciated... By me and my family.

One year, my wife got me a popcorn machine from Amazon for father's day. Is was <$200. Now my kids are all addicted to jalapeno corn and can even make it themselves. Our home recipe is simple: 1/4 solo cup corn oil and 1/4 solo cup jalapenos, cook until the sound drops off in volume (indicates the water in the jalapeno slices has cooked off), add 1 full solo cup of kernels, pop 'em all, add a generous amount of sea salt to taste. That's it, and it beats the stuff the Lt's make at work - their corn always has too much oil which makes it tough and chewy.

Edited to add: here's my home machine.

Edited by HU&W

We cook it in gunships, just not quite as religiously as the pointy nose guys

Got it... I might feel it out back home, and see if anyone else is interested in having it around. Spearhead that shit...

HU&W, that's a nice-looking machine. I may just have to go in that direction, because my experience last night with the stove was not an enjoyable or fruitful one.

We made bacon jalapeno corn for the first time about a week ago and here's what we did:

dump in 1 solo cup of oil and let it heat up for about 7 minutes. The hotter the oil the better the corn will pop

add 1/2 lb of thick cut, diced, juicy, infidel bacon. Wait 3 minutes

add 1 cup of jalapenos. Wait about 5 minutes (until the jalapenos are singed)

quickly dump in 2 cups of corn with a mound of Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning (order it on Amazon) and Lawry's Salt

Wait about 15 minutes

Profit.

Granted we have a corn machine that's old enough to buy smokes and booze, but the above recipe works for us.

Oh and someone in our squadron mentioned throwing shots of Jack, or similar, into the corn kettle... Has anyone tried this? I imagine the alcohol burns off and leaves the smokey, whiskey taste, but I'm also slightly worried about blowing up the corn machine.

Got it... I might feel it out back home, and see if anyone else is interested in having it around. Spearhead that shit...

HU&W, that's a nice-looking machine. I may just have to go in that direction, because my experience last night with the stove was not an enjoyable or fruitful one.

It is a good machine. Not quite as heavy duty as the $1000+ theater units, but not bad at all for home use. I tried numerous other methods, but nothing but this really worked.

Just made my first batch of infidel corn. It's good. Really good. Now my house smells like bacon and jalapenos.

It is a good machine. Not quite as heavy duty as the $1000+ theater units, but not bad at all for home use. I tried numerous other methods, but nothing but this really worked.

Just made my first batch of infidel corn. It's good. Really good. Now my house smells like bacon and jalapenos.

What ratios and cook times did you have for the bacon and peppers? I tried some today and ended up over cooking the bacon and under cooking the peppers. The result was good but had a very subtle smoky taste and very little spice. I've got an idea of what to try tomorrow, but any gouge would be appreciated.

Follow-up question: I know the jalapeño corn is more of a fighter squadron tradition, but are there heavy units out there that cook it up as well?

My previous and current ARS cooks it up. JHB edit...

We've hired a couple former fighter guys in the last couple years; I'm guessing they're the ones who started popping the jalapeno corn in our SQ within the last year or so.

I've never been big on hot sauce, hot peppers, super-spicy wings, etc... but that jalapeno corn is like crack in a paper bag. If I ever get a popcorn machine at home, it's on...

• Upvote 1

I first started on stovetop- too inconsistent.

Then went to this: http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-82306-6-Quart-Electric/dp/B00004RC6R/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Worked pretty well, though the jalapeños occasionally would jam the thing. Its good if you want jalapeno corn, but dont want to commit to a full up popper.

About 4 years ago went to a popper similar to HU&W's and never looked back-works great, and makes more than enough to share.

Sriracha works pretty well for giving a nice kick to the corn-add about a tablespoon when you add the corn and stand back...

Now I need to go out and buy some bacon.