Jalapeno Popcorn

jazzdude

I was in Anaheim last week for Heli-Expo, and made sure to find a Coco Ichibanya for a meal. The entire experience was just as I remember in Japan. Too bad they don't sell curry packets, though I was able to score some of the delicious sesame dressing.

Coco's fans read:

I tried adding a chunk of S&B Golden Curry(Medium Spice, 1/10 of the package of curry roux in a 4oz kettle) to the oil after letting the Jalapenos(If I had Hot curry I wouldn't have bothered with the peppers) cook for half their time. Result: spicy curry popcorn and a bar that smells like a Japanese curry house.

And I'm pretty sure for me, everything will smell like curry for the next couple days.

Blasphemy.....

I wanna try it.

Swore in Oct 2012, finally leave for AMS in 2 weeks so I have been doing this for quite a while every single drill. Here is our recipe:

1. Turn Warmer ON

2. Put in 1 cup of oil

3. Turn Pot Heater ON

4. Add jalapenos, 4 heaping scoops.

5. Allow jalapenos to cook until they begin to get brown, too soon and you don't get the proper crispness, too late and you get black jalapenos that are burnt. Proper jalapenos should be crispy on the outside with just a hint of juice when you bite into them. 7-8 minutes is normally good.

5. Fill popcorn cup and pour into kettle.

6. Turn stirrer ON

-IMPORTANT - steps 5 and 6 are to be done simultaneously.

7. Wait until you no longer hear any popping and dump kettle.

8. Consume jalapeno popcorn.

* We salt our own popcorn, but I will occasionally add a tbsp of butter salt to the batch if I'm feeling bold.

EDIT - Had a Colonel tell me they used pickles back in the day instead of jalapenos and he preferred it that way, I haven't tried it like this but I am assuming it would be delicious.

Edited by Droppin_Loads

• 2 weeks later...

In the Navy we would take microwave popcorn and shake some Tabasco in and shake it up...good stuff, but not nearly as good as this jalapeño stuff you guys are talking about! Gotta try and make that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

To reinvigorate the thread a little, what are your favorite hot sauces?

Mine are: Iguana Gold Island Pepper Sauce, Arizona Gunslinger Red Jalapeno Pepper Sauce, and Semper Fi Gourmet Hot Sauce. And if I feel like adding serious heat (re: punishing myself): Dave's Gourmet Hurtin' Habanero Hot Sauce or Blair's Original Death Sauce.

I'm sure it's in no way the best but I grew to love the Texas Pete's Hotter Hot sauce from my times in the 'Stan.

• 1 month later...

Also: Jalapeno Powder we have this in the shop and it makes adjusting the spicy level very easy, then Flavacol, it's like MSG for popcorn.

Will definitely try that... But I hope that's in addition to fresh jalapeño slices? Nothing can replace a healing amount of fresh crispy jalapeños

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

Yep the fried Jalapeno slices can be cooked to make them the perfect surprises, while the powder controls the overall corn hotness. Best of both worlds. No need to over cook the jalapenos or overload the kettle to make the corn spicy. Back to that EM diagram concept.

Current A3TW recipe:

Just under 1x Solo cup of corn (top of the ridges)

~.5 cup of oil (ends up being about a 1:3 ratio of oil to corn)

enough jalapenos to cover the bottom of the kettle without stacking

1x plastic spoon of jalapeno powder

1x plastic spoon of flavacol

Put the oil in the kettle and let it heat up, toss in one jalapeno. Listen for the sizzle. Once you get sizzle, toss in the rest of the jalapenos. Leave the stirrer off and arrange the pepper slices into one layer.

In a solo cup mix the dry ingredients. Once the jalapenos start to brown around the edges, dump in the dry ingredients and turn on the stirrer on.

Wait, corn is coming

End result: spicy corn, jalapeno slices that are crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle, adjust to taste....