Preparation

I have recently been selected as a CSO for the Missouri Air National Guard and am simply curious as to what I could do to prepare myself for the next 2-3 years. I took my initial physical at MEPS yesterday (that could be a whole other topic), will be sworn in on Tuesday, and then work on my Top Secret Clearance. It is my understanding that I will ship off to AMS in roughly 6-12 months, and the rest of my training will fall in line. What can I do physically and mentally to prepare myself for the next couple of years. Thanks guys.

Hey Congrats!

-The road to your base will be through IFS, Water Survival Training, SERE, and of course primary CSO training at Pensacola. While I was there at Pensacola, training was about a year long and consisted of typical AF style flight training - a round of academics on your plane/systems and then several phases of flights. You'll get time in T-6s and T-1s and a pretty quality simulator running missions that will have you learning quite a broad range of jobs a CSO may do in the AF. At least at the time I went through even the guard guys who knew they would be Herc-folk still had to train up on how to drop bombs, jam/suppress threats, run basic air-to-air radar and fire AMRAAMs in addition to basic Herc-nav stuff like low-levels, IFR mission planning and execution, and countermeasures deployment.

Honestly, as far as preparation goes, I'd say just enjoy your time before you get there, it was pretty busy for most of us once class started. The one thing I think helps alot of people out is to invest in a few hours of flight instruction. If you get some ground-school and basic airmanship in, it will go a long way in making sure you don't start out struggling.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on getting hired with the 180th. I was a Loady in that unit for a couple years before transferring out. Great guys, you'll love it there. Move to Kansas City and commute though. St Joe blows. And when youre up and qualified, go through the AATTC course when you can!

Congrats on getting hired with the 180th. I was a Loady in that unit for a couple years before transferring out. Great guys, you'll love it there. Move to Kansas City and commute though. St Joe blows. And when youre up and qualified, go through the AATTC course when you can!

LoadClear,

Thanks for the congrats. My step brother is a loadmaster out there right now, just got back from a mission in Kuwait for 4 months. Brother is out at the firehouse and my dad is a CMSgt over in maintenance, while I dont think St. Joe is the greatest town on earth I have grown up here my whole life and my entire family is out here so its not to bad. I dont know how long its been since youve been in St. Joe but its grown quite a bit. My grandfather retired from the 180th after 40+ years so Ill probably stick around a little longer;) Where did you transfer and how do you like the new unit?

If you'd like, send me a PM with your bro's name. I'm sure I know him. I transferred out of there in 09 to Niagara Falls, NY ANG for a year and half and then to Charlotte NC ANG who sent me off to Nav school, where I'm at now in Pensacola.

My parents still live in North Kansas City and I own a house there that I rent out, so I'm in KC and STJ on holidays, etc, and still talk to alot of the guys at the 180th.

I like the unit in Charlotte but its a little different than STJ. Overall, I think I liked STJ better than the three units I've been in. They are anal enough to get the job done and not get hurt but still cool enough for it not to suck. Niagara Falls was dangerously laid back (they came from tankers, so maybe its a tanker community thing?) and Charlotte prides themselves on being the "most active duty unit in the guard" but I still like it there.

Sounds like you already know, but you got picked up by a great unit and I'm happy to hear AMP is dead and they are not only staying open but getting H3's.