Deployment questions

Guest aaron.morris

Time gone differs from airframe to airframe. No family.

Now for a more pertinent question...? Are there any opportunities to go out and have a few beers while deployed to the sandbox? I would assume NO, but it never hurts to ask.

• 9 months later...
Guest aaron.morris

I did a search but the threads that came up really didn't answer my question. I am trying to figure out if there is a "typical" deployment schedule after training is finished. I know that alot of it depends of which airframe you are flying and the level of conflict we are in but if I could find out roughly how much time I could be away from family at times it would really help out. If this has already been asked and I didn't find it in the search then shoot me, but at least tell me where I can find the answer. Thanks for the help!

Guest AF2ANG

Good luck, you probably won't find any info that will give you 100% insight. When I was AD the two sister squadrons (C-130's) rotated every 4 months, plus we had additional TDY's. The Guard unit I'm with now (F-16's) has an AEF window every year, sometimes they're tasked, sometimes not. They also go TDY several weeks at a time throughout the year.

Michaela

• 3 years later...
Guest bramm85

I am an active duty SSgt and have been in the Air Force as an Aircraft Electrician for 6 years. Recently I was awarded an ROTC scholarship and it has always been my dream to be an Air Force pilot. I was hoping I could get some good info about what deployments are like and how often are pilots away. I assume its different for fighter pilots and cargo pilots. Obviously, any job in the military is going to take time away from your family. This is a discussion that my wife and I have been having for some time now and this is the only reason why she doesn't want me to be a pilot. However, this has been my ultimate goal for as long as I can remember and I am not going to give up on it that easily. If I can just get some facts then move from there.

Guest jaybird85
I am an active duty SSgt and have been in the Air Force as an Aircraft Electrician for 6 years. Recently I was awarded an ROTC scholarship and it has always been my dream to be an Air Force pilot. I was hoping I could get some good info about what deployments are like and how often are pilots away. I assume its different for fighter pilots and cargo pilots. Obviously, any job in the military is going to take time away from your family. This is a discussion that my wife and I have been having for some time now and this is the only reason why she doesn't want me to be a pilot. However, this has been my ultimate goal for as long as I can remember and I am not going to give up on it that easily. If I can just get some facts then move from there.

Sorry I can't answer your question. I couldn't help but identify with you a little about your wife being concerned about the time away. I've told my fiance I may want to fly some years down the road (if I can somehow miraculously get myself a slot) and she's not at all excited about the time I would need to be away from her.

I'm sure there are pilots on here who can answer your question.

Just curious- Does working as an Aircraft Electrician give you any time to work alongside the pilots flying them?

Clingy wives do not mesh well with the flying side of the AF (or really any highly deployed/TDY job). It's only fair to your wife that you explain the truth to her...don't BS her with "I'll only be gone once every 2 yrs." You'll be gone a lot at times, less during others. It all depends. Yes, she will have to make sacrifices, but this is a dream and you shouldn't let anyone hold you back from your dream...especially for a superficial reason of "but I'll miss you too much."

There are flying assignments you can move into where you are not gone that much. Don't expect it on your first assignment out of UPT, but you can make it happen. It's about balance. If she can do some give-and-take, you should be able to work it out.

• 4 months later...

Since we're on deployment questions...

I'm leaving soon for my first one...any advice? Anything you wish you had known before setting foot on the rotator?

Edited by pawnman

What entitlements are associated with a 365 Extended Deployment

Household goods move, BAH, Family Sep Allowance, Hardship Duty pay, Imminent Danger pay, member per diem, combat zone tax exclusion, Family per diem, dislocation allowance, OPR/EPR, and short tour credit. Refer to 8106 Message entitled: INDETERMINATE TDY ENTITLEMENTS" ; DTG: 301218Z MAY 06. Questions on JFTR dependent entitlements should be referred to the Base Transportation Management Office (TMO) or base Financial Services Office (FSO).

Indeterminate_TDY_Entitlements.pdf

Guest Bad Intel
Since we're on deployment questions...

I'm leaving soon for my first one...any advice? Anything you wish you had known before setting foot on the rotator?

Find out if you are allowed to wear civilian clothes at your deployed location. Didnt know I could wear them as long as I was in our little area of Iraq untill I got here. First box I recieved from home had all my normal gym and running stuff instead of wearing the AF PT gear.

Here's a bit more to clarify "when" the dependents can travel. This answer came directly from the AFPC Assignment Advisor, office symbol DPAPPP. This was to clarify a question since the dependents traveled like 5 months before the TDY was to begin and the issue was what BAH rate is paid. Once dependents travel to the designated location, the day they arrive that location the BAH is to change to that location. So that could be good or bad depending on the rate of BAH.

"ITDY - Travel and Transportation Allowances for Dependent Travel are covered under the JFTR para U4600.

There are no limitations as to when dependents can travel once a member has been tasked for an ITDY. If the member's ITDY is cancelled after the dependents have moved the AF is obligated to return the dependents to the member's PDS.

BAH rate will default to the dependent location. (See Para J. on the ITDY Entitlements message)."

J. BASIC ALLOWANCE FOR HOUSING (BAH): BAH CONTINUES TO ACCRUE BASED ON THE MEMBERS PDS UNLESS DEPENDENTS RELOCATE IAW JFTR U4600. IF DEPENDENTS RELOCATE UNDER JFTR U4600, BAH RATE WILL DEFAULT TO THE DEPENDENTS LOCATION.

Kayla, there is a link on the AFPC website that

What entitlements are associated with a 365 Extended Deployment

Household goods move, BAH, Family Sep Allowance, Hardship Duty pay, Imminent Danger pay, member per diem, combat zone tax exclusion, Family per diem, dislocation allowance, OPR/EPR, and short tour credit. Refer to 8106 Message entitled: INDETERMINATE TDY ENTITLEMENTS" ; DTG: 301218Z MAY 06. Questions on JFTR dependent entitlements should be referred to the Base Transportation Management Office (TMO) or base Financial Services Office (FSO).

The answer I received was that they would not move my dependents because I had just completed a controlled tour and had been "extended" past my date because they were going to send me on a 365. I do not have three years of retainability when I return, so I was not eligible for a follow-on assignment. Because of that, they said they would not move my dependents. They also did not give me any clue as to where I would be assigned once I returned, other than it would be at the base I came from. The prick that shoved this on me with 12 days' notice would not even answer my question as to this topic, but referred me to the MPF - who didn't know shit.

This case only applies to washed-up types like me, but it tells me my loyalties have been misplaced for a very long time.

• 7 months later...
Guest shadow95

Anybody know what reg or AFI covers deployment rules for the AF, specifically within a year of retiring? I know you more than likely would not get a 365 within a year, but how about 180 day deployment or less. Do you have to be back in the states a certain amount of time before your retirement date? AFPC was not very helpful. Just want to know what to expect or what my rights are if a deployments come down. Thank you.

Guest Hueypilot812

Anybody know what reg or AFI covers deployment rules for the AF, specifically within a year of retiring? I know you more than likely would not get a 365 within a year, but how about 180 day deployment or less. Do you have to be back in the states a certain amount of time before your retirement date? AFPC was not very helpful. Just want to know what to expect or what my rights are if a deployments come down. Thank you.

I can't quote you the actual reg, but I believe you have to have retainability through the deployment. That being said, there were a BUNCH of people deployed on 365s in Iraq while I was there that were within 18 months or less of their retirement date. It seems AFPC just knew they weren't going to 7-day opt (or 3 day, whatever it is now).

Guest TheBull

I can't quote you the actual reg, but I believe you have to have retainability through the deployment. That being said, there were a BUNCH of people deployed on 365s in Iraq while I was there that were within 18 months or less of their retirement date. It seems AFPC just knew they weren't going to 7-day opt (or 3 day, whatever it is now).

A lot of Tempo Band E SNCOs are getting tasked within days of dropping their retirement paperwork... knew a dude that had 3 short tours in the previous 3 years - came back and filed for retirement and was tasked again with only a few months home with the retirement date bumped back so that he's return, inprocess the base, outprocess for retirement, and burn all his leave.

It was that - or separate within 3 days... tough sell. AFPC/AEF Center are definitely squeezing that last short tour out of everybody...

• 4 months later...

Bit of a revival - does anybody know if there is a reg governing deployments? I recall during mobility we had to confirm that we were not within six months of PCS in order to be able to deploy. I'm trying to confirm that once I'm within six months of PCSing I cannot be deployed. Additionally, when exactly does the exemption start? In other words, do I have to be back from my deployment six months prior, or can I simply not leave once I'm within the six month window?

Guest Alarm Red

Bit of a revival - does anybody know if there is a reg governing deployments? I recall during mobility we had to confirm that we were not within six months of PCS in order to be able to deploy. I'm trying to confirm that once I'm within six months of PCSing I cannot be deployed. Additionally, when exactly does the exemption start? In other words, do I have to be back from my deployment six months prior, or can I simply not leave once I'm within the six month window?

It's a DAV coding issue defined within 10-403. Most issues I know of arise from arriving within 180 days of deployment, not the other way around. I think waiver authority is at the NAF level.

EDIT:

The number you are looking for is 30 days before a PCS, waiverable by unit commander. Ref 10-403.

Edited by Alarm Red

DAV codes can be waived with nothing more than a signature from the Sq/CC.

I just came off a 90-day deployment 21 Jun and I PCS on Wed. Course I volunteered and am a glutton for punishment. I do remember signing something saying w/in 60/90 some odd days but that was months ago. Bottom line is you can still get hooked even w/orders. I wasn't the only one on this last deployment like that as well.

Cooter

• 5 years later...

Situation: A squadron needs help filling spots on a deployment, so you want to help.  BUT, your wing is not tasked with filling that "spot."  Is it an AFPC function to hand out "taskers" to Wings and can the squadron that needs help ask for these taskers to be filled by a specific wing?  Bottom line, how do you help out another squadron as an X band guy (not currently on a CAF AEF), but get credit for that deployment so your Wing doesn't "lose a guy" on that band (i.e. there were 10 spots to fill, but you went on this random help a bro out deployment, so the wing really "lost" 11 individuals during that band) AND you get credit for deploying in that band (i.e. checked the "I filled a tasker" container during your X band).  Hopefully this makes sense...anyone dealt with this / know how to make everyone play nice to make it work for all parties involved?

Edited by brabus

Situation: A squadron needs help filling spots on a deployment, so you want to help.  BUT, your wing is not tasked with filling that "spot."  Is it an AFPC function to hand out "taskers" to Wings and can the squadron that needs help ask for these taskers to be filled by a specific wing?  Bottom line, how do you help out another squadron as an X band guy (not currently on a CAF AEF), but get credit for that deployment so your Wing doesn't "lose a guy" on that band (i.e. there were 10 spots to fill, but you went on this random help a bro out deployment, so the wing really "lost" 11 individuals during that band) AND you get credit for deploying in that band (i.e. checked the "I filled a tasker" container during your X band).  Hopefully this makes sense...anyone dealt with this / know how to make everyone play nice to make it work for all parties involved?

In the current climate (i.e. too many deployment taskers, not enough people), the wing you want to support will have to buy a deployment from your wing and essentially "trade" for you to deploy.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially depending on what kinds of deployments tend to drop for your wing.  Example - I'm in the 53rd Wing (Operational Test) and we get a lot of random deployments - everything from "expeditionary air base/DO" to "air defense liaison", etc.  While it's not necessary to send a patch/senior IP to fill those slots, due to the nature of our wing that's usually who ends up going.  However, we're usually able to have our dudes augment their communities for a traditional ops deployment, and those wings will accept the random deployments and give them to people who might actually benefit from them (CE or support officers).

Bottom line is you need buy-in from the wing you want to support, and they should be able to make it happen.

• 4 months later...

Bump

I'm a Guard pilot, deploying with my home unit for 120 days on mobility orders. I asked about staying on another 60 days with the unit replacing us, for 180 days total. CC was supportive, but when we began asking questions to others, they seemed doubtful that I could get on two different units mobility orders. They thought that I'd have to come back, take my leave, get off the mobility orders, and then hop on with the second unit's second set of 60 days. Obviously, I'd just rather do the 180 straight through.

Sounds like the catch is in transferring mobility orders in-place.

Anyone have a similar experience with this issue?