Who owns GME now?
I bought back in 2013 before the PS4 came out. Of course I bought it at like $40 a share, but I sure am glad I held when it dropped to like $4 a share.

I cashed out at 150, sadly. Would have been awesome if I could have sold at 450, but I'm still excited. It was a stock I'd written off as a loss and out of nowhere it turned into a 10k profit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

1 hour ago, ryleypav said:

Robinhood only allowing you to sell currently. Talk about rigging the system and stopping the short squeeze. 

As of right now you can still backdoor buy it by going getting to it through the top 100, FYI. 

So let’s see if the likes of Tulsi and the Fox crowd are as adamant about Big Finance control as they are about Big Tech. Yes, I suppose you could try to differentiate based on 1A definitions but money-as-speech was supported with regard to campaign contributions. 

7 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

So let’s see if the likes of Tulsi and the Fox crowd are as adamant about Big Finance control as they are about Big Tech. Yes, I suppose you could try to differentiate based on 1A definitions but money-as-speech was supported with regard to campaign contributions. 

Well, CNN blames this whole thing on Trump, yet AOC and Elizabeth Warren are on the side of retail buyers so this whole event has flipped lots of people onto sides we never thought they would be on.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Well, CNN blames this whole thing on Trump, yet AOC and Elizabeth Warren are on the side of retail buyers so this whole event has flipped lots of people onto sides we never thought they would be on.

Ted Cruz is on Twitter agreeing with AOC.

Who would have thought that GameStop would have been the force that finally brings unity to politics?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Who would have thought that GameStop would have been the force that finally brings unity to politics?

Interesting turn of events. Of course, GS, AMC, and BB have unviable business strategies and will ultimately die.  But this is so fun to watch.  My boring index funds and stock options have served me well for the long term, especially since 2011. 

I'm not sure people really flipped.

Republicans tend to be in favor of business (like to speak about small business, but really financially and politically tied to big business), so it's not surprising to see those that care about big business/wall street defending their interests (calls for regulating individual investors to protect "professional" investors).

Democrats tend to call for government control and oversight, but primarily on social issues. They get painted as anti business or anti free market (maybe rightfully so in some areas). It doesn't mean they don't necessarily support some aspects of capitalism or individualism.

But this is all just capitalism and a relatively free market, and we're seeing who really believes in a free market, and who just says they do to pander to their base.

Money buys you influence (in this case, influence on the market), and the more money you have, the more influence you have. Redditors banding together as individual investors with one aim gives them a lot of capital to influence the market (arguably democratically, with people voting with their checkbook in a very decentralized manner). Contrast that with hedge funds that essentially do the same thing, though with more control (centralized control of the capital of individual investors).
  • Upvote 1

As much as I despise Tucker Carlson, he's also essentially agreeing with AOC as well.

8 minutes ago, jazzdude said:
24 minutes ago, pawnman said:

As much as I despise Tucker Carlson, he's also essentially agreeing with AOC as well.

Apparently unity is possible, at least at 1:23pm EST on 1/28/2021.  We’ll see how long it lasts. 

1 minute ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Apparently unity is possible, at least at 1:23pm EST on 1/28/2021.  We’ll see how long it lasts. 

Maybe.  But I wouldn't want to be the Robin Hood exec getting roasted by the left AND right in that congressional hearing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Interesting turn of events. Of course, GS, AMC, and BB have unviable business strategies and will ultimately die.  But this is so fun to watch.  My boring index funds and stock options have served me well for the long term, especially since 2011. 

Companies can always change strategies though; but that takes investment. Remember, Amazon was a book store once. 

1 hour ago, jazzdude said:

I'm not sure people really flipped.

Republicans tend to be in favor of business (like to speak about small business, but really financially and politically tied to big business), so it's not surprising to see those that care about big business/wall street defending their interests (calls for regulating individual investors to protect "professional" investors).

Democrats tend to call for government control and oversight, but primarily on social issues. They get painted as anti business or anti free market (maybe rightfully so in some areas). It doesn't mean they don't necessarily support some aspects of capitalism or individualism.

But this is all just capitalism and a relatively free market, and we're seeing who really believes in a free market, and who just says they do to pander to their base.

Money buys you influence (in this case, influence on the market), and the more money you have, the more influence you have. Redditors banding together as individual investors with one aim gives them a lot of capital to influence the market (arguably democratically, with people voting with their checkbook in a very decentralized manner). Contrast that with hedge funds that essentially do the same thing, though with more control (centralized control of the capital of individual investors).

Yeah... I mean.... Republicans and Democrats are usually about big business. Thats not a one sided thing. Its just what sector of big business are they most interested in. Here's the thing though, a lot, and I mean, A LOT, of people in both parties trade in their spare time. I think there is going to be a pretty wide consensus to tell wallstreet to STFU up on this one. 

Edited by FLEA

Several lawsuits including a class action suit were filed against Robinhood today.  I know some VERY pissed off people right now....several had large positions they tried to sell but were locked out of their accounts with no warning before Gamestop tumbled 50% today.

54 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Several lawsuits including a class action suit were filed against Robinhood today.  I know some VERY pissed off people right now....several had large positions they tried to sell but were locked out of their accounts with no warning before Gamestop tumbled 50% today.

My buddy (big whig in the finance world) was telling me there's quite a few people in this little game that are going to have charges laid against them.  Lots of 401Ks tanked for this, i.e., a lot of little people are going to hurt a lot more than the caught with their pants down hedge fund managers.  I don't agree with some things happening on Wall Street, but usually what they do is backed by sound reasoning, not "Hey, let's screw Wall Street and pump fake value into this failing business model!"

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

Robinhood is allowing people to close positions, just not create new ones.

Which only benefits the short sellers who want to continue to create fake sell ladders to manipulate the price lower.

Check out the order book that has entirely exhausted the sell pressure from private investment firms lol:

j6g1paf4h3e61.jpg

Hard to feel bad that investment bankers, which do nothing for the world, may have less boats. When short selling and greed goes too far.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Negatory said:

Robinhood is allowing people to close positions, just not create new ones.

Which only benefits the short sellers who want to continue to create fake sell ladders to manipulate the price lower.

Check out the order book that has entirely exhausted the sell pressure from private investment firms lol:

j6g1paf4h3e61.jpg

Hard to feel bad that investment bankers, which do nothing for the world, may have less boats. When short selling and greed goes too far.

While Robinhood is saying they are allowing people to close positions, the reality is they locked many people out today.  I have friends that were locked out of their accounts for hours and the stock price tumbled thus saving the hedge funds millions. 

I saw a report a little while ago saying a South Korean firm had been watching Gamestop and did not agree with the hedge fund short recommendation so they purchased a lot over the past two weeks.  Their trading was not inhibited and they sold near the peak making approximately $1Billion in profit.

This is a first, but I 100% agree with Rashida Tlaib. 

Edit: FWIW, I also disagree that Reddit users should be labeled as “manipulators”. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they notice that there were more shares being borrowed than what actually existed? So in my opinion the hedge fund managers were already manipulating the market with the shorting. 

27AE57F7-402A-487D-8349-8F8BADB45ADF.jpeg

Edited by kaputt

1 hour ago, slackline said:

My buddy (big whig in the finance world) was telling me there's quite a few people in this little game that are going to have charges laid against them.  Lots of 401Ks tanked for this, i.e., a lot of little people are going to hurt a lot more than the caught with their pants down hedge fund managers.  I don't agree with some things happening on Wall Street, but usually what they do is backed by sound reasoning, not "Hey, let's screw Wall Street and pump fake value into this failing business model!"

Supposedly the SEC is already investigating and they are looking at the Reddit folks as possible manipulators...I don't know the answer here but I do know the hedge funds have been acting as market movers for years, driving prices up or down based on their deep pockets...when they finally get a taste of their own medicine that has made them billions and billions of dollars, they scream bloody murder.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slackline said:

Perhaps, but not so sure about the last part.  The 2004 to 2008 CDO / subprime debacle pumped a lot of fake value into the previously solid and stable MBS market. 

I don't agree with some things happening on Wall Street, but usually what they do is backed by sound reasoning

I guess the factors that led to the financial collapse of 2008 was all based on sound reasoning....It’s one thing, greed.

The events of today were 100% market manipulation by Wall Street. Melvin, the hedge fund shorted 140% of GameStop stock, yes more than was available. Citadel, funded Melvin when it became apparent they didn’t have the financial backing to cover their anticipated loses. Citadel also own Robinhood, which then conveniently stopped individuals from buying shares today. Oh yeah, the former FED Chairman during Biden’s VP term, Ben Bernanke, is a senior advisor to Citadel.

Wall Street makes and changes the rules in order to make money for themselves, they could give two shits about whom the destroy in the process.

The WallStreetBets crowd was literally acting in accordance with the rules of buying and selling stock. There should be people in jail for this...But we know that won’t happen, 1 person was given jail time following the 2008 meltdown.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1