3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Raised rates AGAIN today...and we are running out of Diesel.

Another 500 off the DOW and 350 off the NASDAQ

I am cashing out for gold, grabbing my hit back and heading for my bug out site...I wonder if they have Ice Cream Cones at the compound.

Powell also said that inflation is the same today as is was last year at this time, and to also expect more rate increases in the future.

Powell also said that inflation is the same today as is was last year at this time, and to also expect more rate increases in the future.

I enjoyed that he essentially told people to stop obsessing over the rate of increase in rates, and just to focus on the final rate without at all hinting what that final rate could be.

2 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

I enjoyed that he essentially told people to stop obsessing over the rate of increase in rates, and just to focus on the final rate without at all hinting what that final rate could be.

Oh it was great hearing the Q&A and him going off script.  He basically said they’re nowhere close to stopping the rate hikes.

11 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

He did say it would be higher than the previous dot plot.

Ironically, it's not going to be the Fed that takes us into phase two of the bear market. The tidal wave of earnings revisions is starting to hit. That'll be ugly. 

16 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

You almost never get inflation under control while real rates are negative. So even if you use 5% PCE inflation, they need to keep raising rates until 5.5%+.

• 3 months later...

Personally, I'm not too keen on the idea of investing in bullets and assault rifles or lottery tickets, as they're not really traditional investment options and have their own potential risks and ethical considerations. In terms of investing in the stock market, I prefer to use candlestick reversal patterns. It's a technique used in technical analysis that can help identify potential trends and reversals in stock prices. There are also other investment strategies and tools out there that you may want to explore. Overall, I think it's great that you're thinking outside of the box when it comes to investing.

Edited by malaika

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

My money guy called yesterday - "for the first time in 20 years I am recommending my clients put a portion of their wealth in CDs, if you have any cash I have some CDs that are paying 5%." 🤔

On the flip side, put options or shorts are very viable now...also buying low/dip-day on classic, long producing dividend stocks

Vanguard Brokered CD rates this PM. Note - these CD rates change daily and should continue to go up if the Fed keeps hiking interest rates, etc. Note; Vanguard deals in both callable and non-callable CDs, you probably want to buy only non-callable CDs (it's a complicated process, etc.).

Brokered CDs 
1 - 3 months 4 - 6 months 7 - 9 months 10 - 12 months 13 - 18 months 2 years 3 years 4 years 5 years 7 years 10+ years
4.75% 4.90% 5.00% 5.15% 5.25% 5.10% 5.05% 5.10% 5.15% 4.25% 5.00%

On 2/24/2023 at 3:29 PM, waveshaper said:

Vanguard Brokered CD rates this PM. Note - these CD rates change daily and should continue to go up if the Fed keeps hiking interest rates, etc. Note; Vanguard deals in both callable and non-callable CDs, you probably want to buy only non-callable CDs (it's a complicated process, etc.).

Brokered CDs 
1 - 3 months 4 - 6 months 7 - 9 months 10 - 12 months 13 - 18 months 2 years 3 years 4 years 5 years 7 years 10+ years
4.75% 4.90% 5.00% 5.15% 5.25% 5.10% 5.05% 5.10% 5.15% 4.25% 5.00%

Haven't seen these rates since the 80's

Edit, I stand corrected

Edited by FourFans130

Hell my high-yield savings account that maintains full liquidity at any time is paying 3.75% right now and it's only going up as the Fed continues to raise rates. Crazy for someone my age who has never seen savings rates worth caring about in my adult life.

• Upvote 2

On 2/24/2023 at 7:26 PM, nsplayr said:

Hell my high-yield savings account that maintains full liquidity at any time is paying 3.75% right now and it's only going up as the Fed continues to raise rates. Crazy for someone my age who has never seen savings rates worth caring about in my adult life.

You mind sharing the bank where you've got that high-yield saving account?  USAA has lost me.

Edited by FourFans130

I got 3.95 with standard lending club bank savings 
Thanks! Just opened a 4% APY high-yield savings with Lending Club. I have one with UFB Direct at 2.61% for my emergency savings, but I am taking my entire balance out of that and putting it in this one.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

You mind sharing the bank where you've got that high-yield saving account?  USAA has lost me.

I use Marcus by Goldman Sachs. FYI that is a referral link…both you and I would get an extra 1% on all balances for 3 months. I referred someone recently so have my cash balances at 4.75% rn which is great.

Also their daily transfer limit is $100K not some BS $5K like some other places. Easy/fast/free transfers, recurring, etc., all the stuff I have had complaints about with other companies.

Before them I had a few others over the years chasing rates here and there but Marcus has been solid, they get my endorsement.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 2

I had 6% with HSBC as recently as 2005, didn't last long. I'll take whatever I can get, but I don't expect these high yield saving accounts to persist for a decade or two, like I'd need to in order to amass the kind of retirement-expediting increases I'd need. But yes, been eyeballing Amex savings since I already use them as a primary grocery getter. Chase is doing nothing for my war chest right now.  

Used Bread Financial (Comenity Bank) savings account for about 6 months and worked fine. Paying 4.25% right now. They do have the $5k daily ACH out limit, if you're slinging big amounts back and forth. Guessing you can use whatever institution you're transferring it to's ACH feature and pull more, but never pressed to test. I just wired the money when I needed over that limit and it was processed the same day and fairly painless. Cost $25 to wire it, but the higher interest rate for 6 months more than made up for that cost. 

Thanks for the Vanguard CD info, I think I’ll wait another 3-4 mos.  Take a look at their Federal Money Market rates - just over 4.5% last week VFMXX.  Daily dividend, pays out every month.  Been with them for many years, no complaints!

Edited by ROCK 10
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1