Penn State riot ends dream of joining military

BattleRattle

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2012/08/ap-penn-state-riot-ends-dream-082712/

CliffsNotes version: ROTC cadet attends riot after Penn State's Board of Trustees fired Joe Paterno. He put his hands on a van that was already going over--he is charged the same as the people who purposefully flipped the van over. He decided to plead guilty to lesser misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and criminal mischief to avoid possibly being found guilty of a felony.

Result: 30 days in jail, parole/probation, kicked out of Army ROTC, loss of $34k in scholarship money, one-semester suspension, and $8,500 in court costs, fines, and restitution.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

I like it. I plan on using that and pretending I came up with it.

Dont go to riots, bud-light and PS3 is where he should have been. End of story.

That checks. Did he really think the old "I just happened to touch the van as it was falling over" defense was going to work?

Edited by LockheedFix

I like it. I plan on using that and pretending I came up with it.

That checks. Did he really think the old "I just happened to touch the van as it was falling over" defense was going to work?

Probably about as good as "I just fell dick first onto your naked daughter, I don't know what happened!"

• Upvote 3

Terrified of being branded a felon, Strine agreed to plead guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and criminal mischief. He served 30 days in jail — getting out Aug. 4

So how was your summer vacation?

He didn’t challenge the sanctions because Penn State warned him that if he did, he could wind up being penalized more severely.

Well that sounds very similar to non-judicial punishment.

"You have the right to remain silent, You have the right to an attorney...."

Cadets are kicked out of ROTC all the time--I remember a few getting kicked out years ago when I went through that fine, outstanding program...the kool-aid was delicious!

Unless something has changed, cadets are briefed on day 1 that they have to report any civil involvements and such involvements could jeopardize their scholarships as well as being able to continue with the program and earn a commission. This dude screwed up and got caught. I'm sure the military will be just fine without him. Next subject...

Pretty sure he could still get hired by the Army if he really wanted to.

This dude in my FE class got the boot. They (the FE school house) gave him every opportunity to drop himself. The dude was hard headed and wouldn't take their advice so the school kicked him out. I ran into the registrar a few months later (after I had graduated) and he said they coded the guy so that he would never fly anything, ever, in any service. Six months later the dude was back in Army helo training........oh, and he had washed out of Army helo training prior to coming over to try the FE thing. True story.

This dude in my FE class got the boot. They (the FE school house) gave him every opportunity to drop himself. The dude was hard headed and wouldn't take their advice so the school kicked him out. I ran into the registrar a few months later (after I had graduated) and he said they coded the guy so that he would never fly anything, ever, in any service. Six months later the dude was back in Army helo training........oh, and he had washed out of Army helo training prior to coming over to try the FE thing. True story.

Reminds me of a story about a Boom student at Altus who would call housekeeping to ask for more towels and then be sitting naked wacking it when they came in his room. Actually it didn't remind me of that story, I just wanted to repeat it for your enjoyment.

• Upvote 2

Reminds me of a story about a Boom student at Altus who would call housekeeping to ask for more towels and then be sitting naked wacking it when they came in his room. Actually it didn't remind me of that story, I just wanted to repeat it for your enjoyment.

What is wrong with you!

he's telling stories about when I was a boom student, that's whats wrong with him!

I don't know which is worst, actually committing the act with housekeeping and admitting to it or re-telling the story for all of us to think about.

“The van was already going over. It was so crazy, it was mayhem, and in that moment you stop thinking,” Strine said.
Never mind that he shouldn't have been there...he can't keep his composure during a mild riot and he wants to be an Army officer and/or helo pilot? Ha. Poor kid wouldn't have made it anyway.