High School Senior needing advice on ROTC

aarp

Hey guys and gals,

First off,  I'm going into my last year of High School in Southern California. I've known for a long time that I wanted to go the ROTC route, but now that it's crunch time I'm not exactly too sure on how to go about it.

I've maintained good grades through 3 years (averaging between a 3.8-4.0) and currently have 3 AP class credits. I played Football Freshman-Junior year (earning a Varsity letter the past 2 years) though have decided not to play this year due to some team drama. I have also done Track in Discus throughout high school and am trying to letter on Varsity this year.

If possible I would like to stay local to Southern California while going to school. The main program I have in mind right now is Cal State San Bernardino. However, I'm not too sure on how I go applying to these programs and scholarships. Another issue is I have yet to decide on a major. I'm very good at English,Writing, and History, yet average at best when it comes to math and science. I know that the Air Force looks highly upon technical degrees, but I'm not sure if I can pursue one.

I would also be pursuing a pilot slot out of ROTC (I know, me and everyone else :aviator:).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by aarp

I'm very good at English,Writing, and History, yet average at best when it comes to math and science. I know that the Air Force looks highly upon technical degrees, but I'm not sure if I can pursue one.

Use the search function...all your questions have been answered. But, I'll highlight this specific one...do not be one of the tons of dudes who gets sucked into the false idea they must have a technical degree to be a pilot (unless you want test down the road). Your GPA plays a large role in getting a pilot slot, the type of major you choose matters zero. My advice is pick a major that you will enjoy (and thus inherently do well in), even if it means passing up a specific scholarship in EE, comp sci, etc. There are non-technical scholarships to be had, not to mention several other forms of financial assistance.

Use the search function...all your questions have been answered. But, I'll highlight this specific one...do not be one of the tons of dudes who gets sucked into the false idea they must have a technical degree to be a pilot (unless you want test down the road). Your GPA plays a large role in getting a pilot slot, the type of major you choose matters zero. My advice is pick a major that you will enjoy (and thus inherently do well in), even if it means passing up a specific scholarship in EE, comp sci, etc. There are non-technical scholarships to be had, not to mention several other forms of financial assistance.

I don't mean to throw off the topic. Doesn't GPA only count as 10% towards the pilot selection process? I wouldn't really consider that playing a 'huge' role towards getting a pilot slot but still important...

Edited by izzlenizzle

I don't mean to throw off the topic. Doesn't GPA only count as 10% towards the pilot selection process? I wouldn't really consider that playing a 'huge' role towards getting a pilot slot but still important...

It can play a crucial role in your commander's ranking. I would not discount the importance of maintaining a high GPA just because it is not as heavily weighted for the pilot selection process.

Aarp, Brabus said most everything you need to know. There are few non-tech scholarships to be had, but there is money floating around outside of ROTC if it does not work out. Do not pick your major based on what you think will get you a scholarship. It is much more important to do well in something you care about. As for applying for the program, it is pretty easy. You sign up for the classes when you register for your other college courses and show up to the first evening meeting (if they have one). Applying for the scholarships is straightforward as well: you apply online.

Edited by Masshole

You also need to realize that ROTC has changed the way scholarships are being given out. In the past they gave a vast majority of scholarships to those right out of college, but as of this year that has changed. ROTC now gives out more scholarships to cadets who have proven themselves in their first year. ROTC wants cadets to prove that they have what it takes to be a good cadet and student. As for Tech V. Non Tech go what everyone has said, pick a major that interests you and get a great GPA and then if you don't get a scholarship out of high school you may have a shot your 100 or 200 year.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've spent quite some time digging through the archives and absorbing whatever I can.

The only question I have about applying is do I just apply the same way every other student does to universities (obviously ones that have an AFROTC program) and then get in touch with the ROTC program after being accepted or the other way around?

The AFROTC website has all the information you will need. Follow the instructions and you will be fine. Go to the help section to see if your questions are answered. If not, call a rep. The numbers are listed for your area by state.

\\

The only question I have about applying is do I just apply the same way every other student does to universities (obviously ones that have an AFROTC program) and then get in touch with the ROTC program after being accepted or the other way around?

Apply to universities? Yes, you do it the same way everyone else does. You do not apply for ROTC. When you select your courses for your first semester, you will either tell your counselor you are doing the program or just select the AS100 classes if you do it on your own. It is not necessary for you to get in touch with the admissions officer. They will see you listed and mail you a packet containing their own instructions and a medical sheet that needs to be filled out like a sports physical.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've spent quite some time digging through the archives and absorbing whatever I can.

If you want to learn more about AFROTC you can go to a New Student Orientation. There happens to be one at USC on August 25th. You don't have to go to a university that has AFROTC you can be a crosstown cadet. This means that you go to whatever school and then on Fridays you go to USC for ROTC (LLAB and AS classes).

• 1 month later...

I would also give UCLA a look as well. New Student Orientation is on the 24th so you can go to both schools and compare/contrast detachments. If distance is a problem we have cadets coming from all directions who could probably give you a lift if you needed it.

Edited by Justanothercadet

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

Just a quick update and a couple more questions for you all.

Currently I've been accepted to Fresno and San Jose State and am waiting on word from San Diego State, San Bernardino, and UCLA. Once I get a bit more clear about where I've been accepted I plan on visiting the different campuses this spring. Should I get in touch with the various detachments beforehand in order to schedule a visit?

In not so good news, I recently found out that my vision has been degrading to the point where I now wear glasses. It's not that bad currently, with 20/50 and a -1.25 diopter in each eye but I'm worried it could degrade past the 20/70 limit by the time I graduate. As a result, I've been looking up the new regulations and waivers regarding Lasik and PRK but have gotten a bit lost. The most recent waiver guide I've been able to come up with is this: http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/offices/Ophthalmology/docs/2010/USAF%20RS%20Waiver%20guide.pdf

However, this article mentions the restrictions getting even more liberal:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/02/air-force-eye-surgery-widens-pilot-pool-022811w/

My question is if I were to qualify for a rated slot and went to flight school, would I automatically get rejected for my vision or would I have the opportunity to get lasik/PRK and come back?

Thanks guys!

Deaddebate can give a better answer, but I'm pretty sure you can easily(?) get a waiver for your eyes if they are less than 20/70, up to a 20/100 limit.

As for the eye surgery question, you can definitely go that route prior to being accepted, but make sure you have at least 1 year of post-op doctor visits saying you are good to go; otherwise, the Flight Med folks will make you wait until you've hit that one year gate.

Aarp, here's your if you want to know more about PRK and LASIK. Congrats on the schools you've been accepted to. Yes, you should visit detachments as it is certainly a part of the school experience you're choosing. Part of what they do is recruiting. You're at a great time in your life. Enjoy it and good luck.

Edited by HU&W
  • Upvote 1