Emergency Prep

epsilon

I did a search and didn't see anything on this. I'm not one of these extreme "prepper" guys who wants to stockpile tons of food and weapons, but my wife and I were discussing the idea of having a few weeks/months supply of food in case of emergency.

I was just curious if any other guys on AD have attempted this...and how does it work when you have to PCS every 3 years? I'm guessing you could put most/if not all of it in HHGs if you were under weight allowance. I have heard that the mormons stock up to one year...but have never asked any of the bros how/if they did it.

For what? Zombie apocalypse?

Valid if you live somewhere that is prone to natural disasters, but otherwise, no. Definitely not "months" worth of anything. I've previously lived on the East Coast and was ready for hurricanes. Now I'm in Tornado Alley and have enough stuff to keep us going for a week or so.

• Upvote 1

For what? Zombie apocalypse?

Valid if you live somewhere that is prone to natural disasters, but otherwise, no. Definitely not "months" worth of anything. I've previously lived on the East Coast and was ready for hurricanes. Now I'm in Tornado Alley and have enough stuff to keep us going for a week or so.

I'm not feeling threatened by zombies, but did notice when flying out of Eglin that I didn't have much in the way of supplies when we had our Hurrivac warnings. I've always had guns and ammo, but if a huge natural or economic disaster happens the critical items will be food/water, etc. That's why I asked the question. I'm guessing if it is dry goods you can ship it around in HHGs.

Trainer,

He sounds sane to me. i'd say you are screwing the pooch if you aren't thinking about and planing for (preparing for) the unknown. No need to worry and stress, but some thought and planning given to the future (potential risks and opportunities) is always a good idea. And, no, I don't think the dumb-ass-in-chief is selling us out, but I think all of our "leaders" are pretty much short sighted and self serving.

Go buy a couple of cases of M.R.E.'s from your services section. That'll do it for you food wise...it's what my dad did back in the day when we lived in earthquake land! Next, go buy a couple of huge trash cans, and stuff them with old blankets, pillows, bottled water, canned heat (the ones for chafing dishes), an AM/FM radio that operates off a wind up generator. For starters, anyways....

And, no, I don't think the dumb-ass-in-chief is selling us out, but I think all of our "leaders" are pretty much short sighted and self serving.

you just proved my point on the sanity thing.

Having some food/water/radio cause you live in a hurricane/tornado/flood/earthquake area is a rational reason.

An "economic disaster" (wtf does that mean?) because you think our leaders are short sited? What? I think Zombies are equally as likely, now that would be sweet

Go buy a couple of cases of M.R.E.'s from your services section. That'll do it for you food wise...it's what my dad did back in the day when we lived in earthquake land! Next, go buy a couple of huge trash cans, and stuff them with old blankets, pillows, bottled water, canned heat (the ones for chafing dishes), an AM/FM radio that operates off a wind up generator. For starters, anyways....

Didn't know you can purchase MRE's from anywhere other than commissary and online sources. Who do you talk to in services and what's the going rate?

An "economic disaster" (wtf does that mean?) because you think our leaders are short sited? What? I think Zombies are equally as likely, now that would be sweet

Yes, the odds of fighting the walking dead are equal to financial distress/collapse leading to some sort of societal upset. Astute.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't have to be a nationwide (various European countries) economic breakdown either. Having army surplus MOPP gear probably won't help you, but having a month of food stored up gives you that much of a cushion for sudden job loss, for example. Knowing how to fix your own house/prepare/preserve your own food were skills that got many of our grandparents through the Great Depression, whether by saving money or providing another income source.

Preparedness isn't a bad thing, although it can be overdone with video camera cars. Even though only 8 crashes/ejections happened over tens of thousands of sorties in the history of my MDS, we don't give guys crap for preflighting their life support gear, briefing EPs during mission brief, and taking SERE refreshers.

Edited by magnetfreezer

Trainer, read some stories from the many countries that have currencies that have failed over the years. If you don't think things can get ugly quickly when the value of your currency drops to nothing you haven't been around long (Poland, Brazil, etc) and those are the fairly peaceful failures. Am I real worried about it, no, but I have given it a little thought. But, I grew up in Pakistan and was there when their last civil war resulted in Bangladesh, so even as a kid I saw the impact of turmoil on a population and maybe that made me more aware of the potential for chaos when things go to crap.

Unless they also have ammo, but less food. So that they then come and take yours first! :violent-smiley-017:

Smart people always make sure they are better armed than their neighbors...

• Upvote 1

The great thing about hurricanes.....they can't sneak up on you. :) I've lived in Florida for 22 years, just stock up on stuff as needed. The room full of guns & ammo, well, that's just cuz I like to make shit go boom, lol. For you dust-bowler types, best of luck to ya. Tornados ain't my cup of tea.

Didn't know you can purchase MRE's from anywhere other than commissary and online sources. Who do you talk to in services and what's the going rate?

You know what, you might be right about the Commissary and online sources. I know I could buy them from my services squadron...on a Guard Base that is. I think the Life Support section in my squadron sells them too...on a limited basis though.

I'm not sure how my father acquired them many moons ago. I never really asked specifically how he got em'.

Edited by amcflyboy

Check out survivalblog - great resource. The author, James Rawles, has a few good books out there.

There is nothing irrational about being prepared if the grid goes down. You don't have to do anything crazy - plant a vegetable garden, learn how to hunt, know how to care for yourselves, and have a place to go. You'll be better off than those who stick their head in the sand and believe the Wal-Mart shelves will never be empty...

You sounded mostly sane till you said this.

Seriously, do you think Obama is secretly selling USA to the Chinese or something?

It doesn't have to be global. Local riots will still shut down streets and grocery stores.

• Upvote 1

It doesn't have to be global. Local riots will still shut down streets and grocery stores.

Yes, for a week, maybe two. Not several months. You only need several months of supplies if you live in a remote area with limited access an there is the possibility of that access being cut off (I.e. only bridge out falls in water). Other than that you need at least 72 hrs to a max of 2 weeks. Also, if you do live in the sticks and need several months of supplies do not keep all of it on your house. If it burns to the ground you are screwed. Bury some of that shit in the yard.

Edited by Butters

A 10+ day power outage would suck...and some people found that out on the east coast a couple weeks ago.

For people that lose a job, a several month supply of food would definitely make their financial situation a bit better or extend how long they could look for work without going broke.

I have a few supplies, but going from the gov't recommended 3 day kit to the Mormon recommended 6mo to a year takes a bit of work. (Not Mormon, but I won't fault their "ready for anything" idea.)