Air Force jet fuel uproar

fox two

I'm sorry..but did someone say that bio fuels were a byproduct of coal? :bash:

Synthetic fuels are produced from coal, natural gas, or biomass. Bio, or renewable, fuels are made from biomass or its decay products.

Its dirty. How is it eco friendly? I'm genuinely interested.

giaccfigb18.jpg

Source:

http://web.mit.edu/a...trend-analy.pdf

The various alternative fuel blends above have been normalized to Jet-A. So, a Greenhouse gas (GHG) intensity of 1.0 is basically JP-8. Any fuel blend greater than 1.0 emits more GHG during its production and combustion- or what you'd call "dirtier." Less than 1.0 is cleaner. The uncertainty bars represent low-to-high emission scenarios.

The production of alternative fuel blends from coal sources produces twice the amount of GHG than petroleum production (mostly carbon dioxide). You can capture and/or sequester (CCS) that C02 and reduce GHG emissions. Compare Coal to FT fuel with and without CCS in the chart above.

I'm sorry..but did someone say that bio fuels were a byproduct of coal? :bash:

No. Go back and re-read the thread.

Its dirty. How is it eco friendly? I'm genuinely interested.

Again, we've already discussed that it's not eco-friendly. It's so we can produce our own jet fuel when OPEC cuts us off.

No. Go back and re-read the thread.

Again, we've already discussed that it's not eco-friendly. It's so we can produce our own jet fuel when OPEC cuts us off.

Shack. We should be exploring any and every alternative to importing energy. The "green" aspect is, unfortunately what's getting the press.