C-17 Lands at Wrong Airport

From Bergman:

"The Ultimate Tactical Approach: Even YOU don't know where you're landing"

Hope it all gets sorted out without any additional shenanigans on departure.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17
  • Upvote 4

From Bergman:

"The Ultimate Tactical Approach: Even YOU don't know where you're landing"

Chuck

I am very certain and new crew is coming to FL to fly it out. Now do you just take it home, or finaly land at MacDill?

Chuck

Hell, maybe they'll ask you to fly it out! Don't fuck it up, brother. LOL

Seriously though...how in the world do you mistake the 3600' runway at Peter O Knight for the 11,421' (plus God's Own Apron) at MacDill?

DURING THE DAY!?!?

IN VMC!?!

Here's hoping the General was flying, thus saving the career of at least one LT or Capt.

Edited by Bergman
  • Upvote 1

Here's hoping the General was flying, thus saving the career of at least one LT or Capt.

Fat chance, as he's a Marine ground pounder. But maybe that field was closer to the General's crib, and the pilots wanted to please him so they could get a coin.

• Upvote 1

C-17 guys, what's the takeoff ground run of an unladen Globemaster... in the heat of the summer... on thin concrete... in the middle of a city?

Hmm...with or without TiB in the back to weigh you down?

• Upvote 1

C-17 guys, what's the takeoff ground run of an unladen Globemaster... in the heat of the summer... on thin concrete... in the middle of a city?

Was it an african Globemaster or a european Globemaster?

• Upvote 5

Was it an african Globemaster or a european Globemaster?

I think what matters more is if the AC's favorite color is red...or is it blue?

Seriously though...how in the world do you mistake the 3600' runway at Peter O Knight for the 11,421' (plus God's Own Apron) at MacDill?

DURING THE DAY!?!?

IN VMC!?!

Even worse, there was more than one person sitting up front...how in the hell 1 out of 2+ people can't figure this out is beyond me.

Yeah, I'm wondering how the approach brief went. PF: "So, its a partial flap visual approach from the left seat. Approach speed will be 140 knots to an 11,000 ft runway. Landing distance is 3500 ft, planning to exit taxiway C, taxiing to the main ramp..." PNF: "Wait a minute..."

Same crew or different crew? Thankfully, the airplane had the capability to land on the runway and they got it stopped. Had that been almost any other airplane in the Air Force inventory, the ending would have been much different.

I pray they release the CVR tapes after the investigation.

We've seen some serious collapses in CRM in the 17 over the last year that have led to some very close calls. I think this could be classified as a close call. AMC really needs to look at the number of highly experienced guys they are shoving out the door to go fly other MWS's. The community as a whole is hemorrhaging experience and backfilling with guys fresh out of Altus. Additionally, we see a lot of guys who are slammed into upgrades (especially IP school) primarily for career progression when he or she may not otherwise be sent. This mix is obviously not working out too well for us. I know nothing bout the experience level of this crew (all 19 of them), but perhaps this, and a few of the other recent mishaps, could have been mitigated though a slightly more seasoned pool from which we are building crews. It's only going to get worse.

• Upvote 4

We've seen some serious collapses in CRM in the 17 over the last year that have led to some very close calls. I think this could be classified as a close call. AMC really needs to look at the number of highly experienced guys they are shoving out the door to go fly other MWS's. The community as a whole is hemorrhaging experience and backfilling with guys fresh out of Altus. Additionally, we see a lot of guys who are slammed into upgrades (especially IP school) primarily for career progression when he or she may not otherwise be sent. This mix is obviously not working out too well for us. I know nothing bout the experience level of this crew (all 19 of them), but perhaps this, and a few of the other recent mishaps, could have been mitigated though a slightly more seasoned pool from which we are building crews. It's only going to get worse.

Not to mention the current ribbon of flying hour cuts, shortages in training, experience....

SQUADRONS at CHS get one local a week, 5 sorties a month now? No wonder! That's insane! And don't tell me the sim is the same! Thats total bullshit! But as long as we keep fixing symptoms, we will continue to hemorage, wreck jets, crews, hang dudes out to dry, kill people (the wrong people) and screw ourselves over.

Starting to wonder why I'm still here....

Chuck

• Upvote 2

Did you just say all 19 of them?

A few of the news reports listed 19 crewmembers. Pretty ridiculous, I know. Based on who they are saying was onboard, I assume there were a lot of Mission Essential Personnel, but still...

Edited by FUSEPLUG

To quote Ron: "I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed." May have been the wrong runway, but that was impressive they stopped. In the grand scheme of things, it could have been much worse. Good advertising for the brakes and airframe.

I am with you on he CVR. Can.Not.Wait.

As for upgrade...you're saying that maybe, just maybe, the "weekend warrior" ANG/AFRC guys are on to something, with regard to our glacial pace for upgrade? Say it isn't so!

I agree with all your comments...too many people upgraded who shouldn't be, for the wrong reasons, and plenty of good dudes who are shoved into the deep end before they're ready IMHO.

SQUADRONS at CHS get one local a week, 5 sorties a month now? No wonder! That's insane! And don't tell me the sim is the same! Thats total bullshit! But as long as we keep fixing symptoms, we will continue to hemorage, wreck jets, crews, hang dudes out to dry, kill people (the wrong people) and screw ourselves over.

Starting to wonder why I'm still here....

Chuck

AYFKM? Dude, I personally flew 3 locals this week. I can't imagine an entire squadron only getting 1! That is jacked up.

Poetic justice: the crew bus driver at KMCF waited for over two hours for the jet to arrive at the spot and missed shift change.

SC

I admit, I LOLd.