C-17 Lands at Wrong Airport

3580x100' logging an ALZ? Might have been outside the tac duty period.

Bearing is a bit light, don't see it in the ZAR. I thought KSPG was a good sucker nearby, also.

There goes the MFOQA stats.

Bet it was at the end of a long day.

Wx today looked to be vmc.

edit. see fox news tampa. pics n video with commentary, doh. Jet and runway look ok. 22 threshold is at rwy 18, hence notam. Looks ready to go from there.

Edited by moosepileit

From airnav.com, info on KTPF

Additional Remarks

- SHIP CHANNEL IN APCH TO RYS 18 & 22. - OCEAN GOING VESSELS IN SHIP CHANNEL EAST. - GULLS ON AND INVOF ARPT. - TWY E CLSD TO ACFT WITH WING SPANS IN EXCESS OF 40 FT. - BE ALERT: MACDILL AFB LCTD 4 MILES SW.

Well, duh...

cmon-man.jpg

Edited by ExBoneOSO

Looks like BOTH of their runways are now closed UFN. Ouch!

07/008 - RWY 18/36 CLSD. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 20 JUL 17:58 2012

07/007 - RWY 4/22 CLSD. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 20 JUL 17:25 2012

Wikipedia has a pretty good statement on what happened:

"On July 20, 2012 a C-17 carrying General Mattis of the US Central Command mistakenly landed at Peter O Knight airport thinking it was MacDill AFB."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_O._Knight_Airport

I mean, this is funny, right? Since no one got hurt, we're allowed to laugh at this, right?

A video camera everywhere.

What do you think their landing clnc sounded like? Not saying it was up to the tower to prevent the boundless gross buffoonery but it would've been worth a case of beer to the guys if they saved my ass from doing something stupid. With the boss in the back.

Guest mudkow60

Possibly of a serious mechanical issue making them choose this airport (nearest?)? Seems like it was day, VMC, and pilot would know it was not the intended military base... Just a thought.

Way back in '92, I was flying out in AZ to meet the examiner to get my PPL (check flight) and thought I was in patter for po-dunk civilian field. Ended up on downwind to Luke AFB. Civilian tower figured it out, and all was fixed (except for the nerves going into the check-ride).

Possibly of a serious mechanical issue making them choose this airport (nearest?)? Seems like it was day, VMC, and pilot would know it was not the intended military base... Just a thought.

Had to be pretty severe emergency to pass up an AFB 4 mi away.