C-17 Lands at Wrong Airport

Responding by email to the Times, he used the expression "much ado about nothing."

He said he put in a good word for the pilot, whose name has not been made public. Mattis noted that he had made his own "colossal mistakes" in earlier years.

"Some young guys made a human error," he wrote, "and hopefully they'll recover and enjoy long and illustrious careers."

Nice, Zippy...go ahead and spread the "privileged use" re-creation around for more to see.

It's on youtube. Posting a link to youtube doesn't spread it around more. It's not like I made a copy and showed my wife (like an unnamed aviator)

Edited by BQZip01
  • Upvote 1

"They don't like listening to enlisted guys so that's why they never spoke up." I was slightly offended, but I really couldn't disagree.

This is why I love flying on the KC-135. Pretty tight crews, sts, and we work very well together. Officers and Enlisted are on the same page and if something needs to be said, we speak up without hesitation.

I'm just glad no one died and that this turned into a great CRM lesson for all crew members.

Not sure if Gen Mattis did anything for the crew behind the scenes...

Rumor here at the Quagmire is that he went to bat for the crew in a BIG way... and hit a grand slam.

My airline used that Youtube video as a CRM case study example during a class last month. Complete with remarks from the civilians such as "I heard those pilots were asshole Colonels," "They don't get to fly much since they're C-5 guys," "They don't like listening to enlisted guys so that's why they never spoke up." I was slightly offended, but I really couldn't disagree.

I don't know about these particular dudes, but not generally the case in the C-5 community. We fly a lot, and we always listen to a good engineer. Loads...meh.

"Go Around" seems to work every time. Just sayin :nob:

Wouldn't have worked in the C-5 crash.

• 9 years later...

How does this happen - so many means to validate youā€™re at the correct airport and runway. But I guess theyā€™ll have a juicy TMAAT/lesson learned story ready to go for their airline interviews!

Edited by brabus

31 minutes ago, LiquidSky said:

Crazy, media got it wrong I think.Ā  Read a correction somewhere and can't find it now.Ā  The type of gear setup on a C17 puts it well within the weight limits for the field apparently.Ā  Also, AF is claiming they DID have a PPR.Ā  Who knows.Ā  This is a towered field though and the aircraft landed during manned hours.Ā 

Edited by uhhello
  • Like 1

"They indicate not only was the aircraft within weight limits for triple-tandem landing gear, but that the flight was coordinated five days in advance. The airportĀ reported taxiway damage to the unit and not runway damage. The image you have shown is a light off the edge of the runway to taxiway on Taxiway A. The 310k lbs listed is for dual-tandem landing gear and not the higher weight capable triple-tandem."

• Upvote 1