MAFFS C-130 Crash in South Dakota

WABoom

From WABoom's Facebook link:

Update: The C-130 that went down in Fall River County was carrying an Air Force crew of six. As of now, four are unaccounted for ... one has been taken to Rapid City Regional Hospital via Life Flight ... another taken by ground ambulance.

Not good...

Because of privacy for the families that haven't come forward yet to confirm the whereabouts of the other crew members, I'm not going to indulge any information I've been told just yet, but its not good.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/18932172/nc-national-guard-plane-crashes-while-fighting-colorado-wildfires

This report indicates the A/C and FE have passed. I will say there was 6 crew members onboard.

Keep our unit in your alls prayers.

If this is true, it's really sad news: according to this website, 4 of the 6 crew have died. I got to do a TACC mission for about a month with 2 of the loads from CLT a few years ago. Both really nice guys. My thoughts and prayers are with the crew, their families and friends.

I know nothing about this site -- just came across it a few minutes ago, but it provides a lot more detail than what's in other news sources right now.

http://wildfiretoday.com/

Edited by Loach

The Charlotte PA Lt Col said MAFFS missions conduct drops at 150'AGL. Is this accurate?

I don't know what their procedures are but whenever we got help from tankers or seats, they were right around 100-200 agl, terrain permitting. You don't want the retardant to spread out so much that it's ineffective.