Texas college students hack DHS UAV

ThreeHoler

http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-1000-us-government-906/

There are a lot of cool things you can do with $1,000, but scientists at an Austin, Texas college have come across one that is often overlooked: for less than a grand, how’d you like to hijack a US government drone?

A group of researchers led by Professor Todd Humphreys from the University of Texas at Austin Radionavigation Laboratory recently succeeded in raising the eyebrows of the US government. With just around $1,000 in parts, Humphreys’ team took control of an unmanned aerial vehicle operated by the US Department of Homeland Security.

Very interestink.

The fact that they did this to a UAV is immaterial to the fact that they spoofed GPS to do it... i.e. a manned aircraft relying on GPS (while not VFR, and not backing up with instruments) could* be misguided in the same fashion. I guess NAVs might be around for a little while longer.

*obviously a lot of factors to go into the could.

The fact that they did this to a UAV is immaterial to the fact that they spoofed GPS to do it... i.e. a manned aircraft relying on GPS (while not VFR, and not backing up with instruments) could* be misguided in the same fashion. I guess NAVs might be around for a little while longer.

*obviously a lot of factors to go into the could.

INS doesn't need GPS, it makes it more accurate, but they are pretty good on their own.

INS doesn't need GPS, it makes it more accurate, but they are pretty good on their own.

I was assuming the UAV had a combined INS/GPS as well, but you're probably right it might be GPS-only navigation... INS is fine if you align it on the ground and take no updates, but if your GPS is spoofed and the filter takes enough of the small votes of the incorrect GPS measurement over time, the same thing is feasible.