A Toast in Remembrance of the Fallen...

M2

If you have not read the book "American Hero" by Robert Coram, then you should. The intro alone got me hooked on the book. It describes how an older retired pilot puts on his mess dress jacket, and then a very important medal around his neck. He could barely do this because of his torture in the Hanoi Hilton. I believe he spoke at Laughlin AFB during a dining out. I wish I had been there, because it would have been an interesting night. Instead of following protocol, the generals in attendance were introduced first. In order with tradition, a medal of honor winner should be introduced first due the medal's rarity and importance. The general's and base commander received modest applause. When Colonel Day was introduced last, spoons started to tap slowly at first, then faster, then louder, and then he received a standing ovation.

If you have not read this book, or know of this great man, then you owe it to yourself as a member of the Armed Forces to see what he was all about.

Nickel on the Grass.

• Upvote 2

My favorite quote (this is a paraphrase) from "American Patriot" is after a reporter asked about why he wouldn't particpate in the program to return to Vietnam to meet former captors, see the prisons, etc like John McCain was doing. She asked something along the lines of "so you would never go back to Vietnam?" His response was "actually yes I would go back to Vietnam...leading a 4 ship of F-100s full of napalm."

• Upvote 12

Great E-Mail from the CSAF regarding this. Good on him for taking the time to send it out and educate people on this hero.

To the Airmen of the United States Air Force,

I am the very proud son of an American fighter pilot, one of that treasured group who served in three wars, built an Air Force, and gave it an enduring example of courage and mission success. My dad was a hero. As a young man, I asked him who his combat heroes were; he gave me only two names. One was Major General Frederick “Boots” Blesse and the other was Colonel George E. “Bud” Day. My dad was not easily impressed, so I knew that if they were his heroes, they were very, very special men. I was right.

Earlier this year, my wife Betty and I had the distinct honor of attending Boots Blesse’s funeral at Arlington National Cemetery. And earlier this week, I heard that Col “Bud” Day had also “flown west.” Our Air Force is in mourning. We know we can never replace him, but today, as he is laid to rest, we can honor him.

Many of you know his story. He fought in the South Pacific as a United States Marine in WWII and later became the Air Force’s most highly decorated warrior. He was a Medal of Honor recipient with nearly 70 decorations, which span three wars and four decades.

The medals say a lot about Bud Day, but they cannot capture his unbreakable spirit, the life-saving impact he had on his fellow prisoners during his time in captivity, and the inspiration he has been to countless Americans who’ve been fortunate enough to have heard his story or shaken his hand.

In Vietnam in 1967, Major Day commanded a squadron of F-100s, the “Misty” FACs (Forward Air Controllers). Theirs was one of the most dangerous combat missions of the war, and they suffered high casualties.

On August 26 Day was shot down and captured. Seven days later, despite having a dislocated knee and a badly broken arm, he escaped captivity and evaded the Viet Cong for 10 days. He was recaptured just two miles from a US Marine Corps camp at Con Thien. Getting so close to freedom only to be recaptured would have broken the will of most men. Not Bud Day.

He was eventually moved to a prison camp known as The Plantation, where he was tortured daily, and was later moved to the Hanoi Hilton. Due to his resistance and toughness, Day became an inspiration to other POWs. His roommate at The Plantation, Senator John McCain, wrote, “He was a hard man to kill, and he expected the same from his subordinates. They (his roommates) saved my life--a big debt to repay, obviously. But more than that, Bud showed me how to save my self-respect and my honor, and that is a debt I can never repay.”

In 1973, after more than five and a half years in captivity, he was released. The damage by the enemy permanently scarred his body, but his spirit emerged unbroken. A year later he was back on flight status, he became vice commander of the 33th Tactical Fighter Wing, and retired from active service in 1976.

Col. Bud Day spent a great amount of his remaining years sharing his story with our Airmen, young and old. Over the past 22 years, many of those Airmen have experienced multiple combat deployments themselves, leaning on the lessons Col Day passed on to all of us, including his two sons, who proudly serve.

He deeply understood the challenges we face as a military service, “trying to keep America aware of the fact that Airpower has been a substantial reason that we exist as a free nation.”

I spoke with Col Day on the phone a couple of months ago, simply to introduce myself and thank him, on behalf of our entire Air Force, for his remarkable lifetime of service. I hung up feeling incredibly proud to be an Airman, and grateful that my real-life hero was even more impressive than I had imagined.

Future Airmen will honor his name and treasure his story, not because of the awards and buildings named in his honor, but for the legendary character, the unbreakable spirit and the values he demonstrated each and every day.

Airmen today strive to embody the same honor, courage, and integrity shown by Col Day and those who fought beside him. And we honor the sacrifices they made in the spirit of airpower and freedom.

“Push it up” Sir…we’re still following your lead.

MARK A. WELSH III

General, USAF

Chief of Staff
  • Upvote 1

Great E-Mail from the CSAF regarding this. Good on him for taking the time to send it out and educate people on this hero.

And yet, Gen Welsh fails to mention that much of Bud Day's "act" -- both in the air and on the ground -- would be seen as "not part of the current AF culture". Day would be sitting on multiple Art 15s and FEBs in today's AF.

How fantastic that we can pay homage to the whitewashed, PC actions of our heroes.

• Upvote 2

And yet, Gen Welsh fails to mention that much of Bud Day's "act" -- both in the air and on the ground -- would be seen as "not part of the current AF culture". Day would be sitting on multiple Art 15s and FEBs in today's AF.

How fantastic that we can pay homage to the whitewashed, PC actions of our heroes.

Valid

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.jsonline....-220697101.html

http://eaa.org/

Col. Paul Poberezny

Founder - Experiential Aircraft Association

Military aviator with 30 years service

Friend to aviators and aviation everywhere

Thank you Paul for everything you've done for the State of Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Air Guard and in your endless support for aviation in every form.

Blue sky and tail winds......

Where are the professional race baiters on this one? What about the Australian guy in OK who was shot for no apparent reason?

Unbelievable. Three teens "bored" so they randomly shoot and kill a guy. The youngest was 15. That's plenty old enough to know right from wrong. If there is any justice, these three little bastards will spend the rest of their lives being "bored" with daily ass raping in big boy prison.

Not illegal, just frowned upon... like masturbating on an airplane.

Wait, people frown at that? Even when concealed under one of those red blankets?