Syrian fighter pilot defects to Jordan

Linda

A MiG-21?

Maybe an Army Colonel will drive across the border in a Sherman Tank. It's about as relevant.

If you want a MiG-21, there are plenty available, and it will only cost you about $50,000-$100,000 for a real nice one that is in flying condition... probably a lot nicer than this Syrian -21.

Edited by Huggyu2

If you suck that bad, why even have an air force?

Russians and French gotta sell their shitty stuff to someone, right? Plus, airplanes are sexy.

If you suck that bad, why even have an air force?

To bomb their own people.

"Syria shot down a Turkish warplane on Friday, Lebanon's al-Manar television reported...

...Two crew were aboard the F-4 jet,"

http://www.reuters.c...E85D0IS20120622

Perhaps Turkey is looking to elevate the external pressure. Nations still fly the F-4 as a warplane? Wow.

They said Syria already apologized, not sure this one will escalate.

Relevance? I don't think anyone is looking to refurb it and fly it in airshows. The defection is relevant for other reasons.

Yes, I get it.

The Colonel,... the political situation... blah, blah,...

Just having a little fun, making comments to draw comments.

However...

... my point stands...

Had a Syrian Army Colonel driven an old, irrelevant piece of hardware across the border, it should have made about as much of a stir as this equally less-impressive-piece-of-hardware MiG.

Edited by Huggyu2

Nations still fly the F-4 as a warplane? Wow.

Japan and Germany still do as well

Greece, South Korea, and Iran also fly them as part of their combat fleets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-4_Phantom_II#Operational_history

Given our current political situation, I'm surprised any US flyers don't know that Iran flies F-4s (and F-14s for that matter)

You guys have flown MiGs that were acquired in much worse shape.

Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs

Haven't read all, but it is some fascinating stuff.

Given our current political situation, I'm surprised any US flyers don't know that Iran flies F-4s (and F-14s for that matter)

It's amazing to me that they can keep them flying with the lack of logistical support from us in the last umpteen years.

We need to send them F-14 parts so they can get the jets flyable before we kick anything off. Who's wouldn't want to spank a

Tomgrape?

We're already shooting F-4s in Florida.

However...

... my point stands...

Had a Syrian Army Colonel driven an old, irrelevant piece of hardware across the border, it should have made about as much of a stir as this equally less-impressive-piece-of-hardware MiG.

I think the kid could have walked across the border and it would've made news. The word "defect" by itself proves a point.