The Mother of all CGOCs

ThreeHoler

I'm was a Lt at a base which at the time had very few Lts. As the base we were at had no CGOC, I figured that the three other Lts and myself start a chapter and we'd somehow come up with an officially sanctioned drinking club. I mean, if we were the only Lts around, the flying captain types were cool and incredibly disinterested (in a good way) with the project, it seemed like a win all around.

What we naive Lts failed to reckon with was that there were captains in other organizations--comm being the most noteworthy--who weren't as disinterested. Our idea had percolated up through some channels somewhere, got over to them, and was subsequently hijacked. Before I knew it, what was supposed to just be some dudes hanging out LPA style became work, complete with "taskers" coming from the shoe president of the organization. That was the last of that, and now I have to live with the thought that I helped contribute to advancing the career of the shoest of shoes I've ever come across.

Lts, let that be a lesson to you about shoeclerkdom.

• Upvote 1

Buckets of self-importance found here. Leadership advice from Lts, and a "good idea" of starting an FTAC for officers. Pure brilliance.

Whoever put this together was probably also in charge of the yearbook club in highschool..

It's a goldmine for satire though - “If you know the mission, it helps you care more about your job". Funny, I thought the mission was the job...

I think I have told this story before, but back when I first went through KBAD as a young O1 a buddy and I went to a CGOC meeting not knowing anything about it. We thought everybody was doing it (sts). Anyway, we noticed we were the only flyers at the meeting and didn't think much of it. After the meeting as we were walking out, a LtCol (flyer) who happened to be in the building saw us coming out, made a direct b-line toward us and stated the following: "Gentlemen, unless you are going to CGOC meetings to nail some ass, I want you to stay the fuck away from the Nazi youth. They are doing everything in their power to put their AFSC and their career above yours. CGOC meetings are only a punchbowl of kool-aid away from being Jonestwown, stay the fuck away."

Two things I have noticed from that CGOC publication: 1) somebody has WAY too much time on their hands. Is AFCGOC Chairman (which the title itself is enough to make one laugh) a full-time gig? I have no problem with the volunteering/giving part of the CGOC, that is commendable...but the way they go about everything is asinine.

2) There are a couple of hotties in that little newsletter.

From the outside looking in, it is more than apparent that non-flyers are winning the "game." Shoes are starting to get into more powerful positions of influence and are spreading their poison to the CGOS who despite what the Air Force is all about, feel that their jobs should be the primary focus, when in fact in the grand scheme of things they support the operational missions.

Stay strong dudes and dudettes.

roughly 60,000 officers and their familes...and only 3 "likes"...

gallery_5334_68_69057.png

I know the guy in this picture. He was a really good LPA member but I highly doubt he is CGOC. Guess they just wanted a random flight suit picture?

When I was an 2LT, I volunteered for 1 CGOC related function. It was the summer time Ops AF...show the Cadets around your base gig. The CGOC President made a big show of advertising the job and I guess several people volunteered. After a few days he sends out an email saying "After careful consideration the Wing CC picked me to do it!" Me being himself, the CGOC President.

He kept trying to get me to take on truly useless projects like working on a CGOC conference, but I never agreed If you saw him at the O Club, he would talk a lot about how he really wanted to be a 1 Star. But I heard he got out as a 1Lt.

He kept trying to get me to take on truly useless projects like working on a CGOC conference, but I never agreed If you saw him at the O Club, he would talk a lot about how he really wanted to be a 1 Star. But I heard he got out as a 1Lt.

Lol, 1 star, he could at least have aimed for NAF/CC.

I have only been to one CGOC meeting -- ever. The only reason I even went is because myself and all of the other "CGOs" in the Group were trick-fucked by the CC. We were told that there would be a "mandatory mentoring session", the subject of which being OPRs, in the squadron auditorium.

We relunctantly showed up (on a Friday afternoon), only to see a bunch of shoes inhabiting the first two rows of our auditorium. A collective "WTF" was had by all until the CGOC President stepped up to the stage and welcomed us to this special convening of the CGOC.

I, and everyone else, should have stood up and walked out immediately, but I think we all stayed just to have empirical data as to how douchey these people really are. Needless to say, I now have a lot of data after those 1.5 hours.

...After the meeting as we were walking out, a LtCol (flyer) who happened to be in the building saw us coming out, made a direct b-line toward us and stated the following: "Gentlemen, unless you are going to CGOC meetings to nail some ass, I want you to stay the fuck away from the Nazi youth. They are doing everything in their power to put their AFSC and their career above yours. CGOC meetings are only a punchbowl of kool-aid away from being Jonestwown, stay the fuck away."....

Has to be the best free advice ever given. Second of course, as always, to "Never talk to the media" I was an NCO but the Top-3 counsel/club/group WTFever it was called was just the E version of the same thing.

I know the guy in this picture. He was a really good LPA member but I highly doubt he is CGOC. Guess they just wanted a random flight suit picture?

That's the glory of all pictures you take "in the course of your duties" while on active duty. They automatically enter the public domain as soon as you take 'em and ANYONE can use them for ANYTHING...even REMFs.

As for the guy in the picture, if he isn't a CGOC member he actually has cause for a lawsuit as this image doesn't give any context and implies he is a member. Certainly worth an IG complaint! :-)

"The Leadership Lesson" on page 5 should be re-titled "How to instantly lose credibility" when the Chaplain can't even spell his ######ing job title correctly. Ugh.

I noticed that too... Maybe it's an homage to what drove him to the ministry: Chuck "Chaplin" films

Edited by so.it.goes

Anyone an IP at Sheppard? One of your boys (with pilot wings on) appears to be the "exec" of this fine organization.

Do the right thing.

FWIW, I have learned more flying with that Captain than from any other IP. He's the best in the squadron as far as I'm concerned. I had no idea he was in the CGOC, so I guess he keeps a pretty low profile in the local "chapter" or whatever they call it.

2 on the "duped into attending 1 CGOC meeting." CGOC says the Wing/CC will be the speaker. Since it's in our squadron the SQ/CC says "thou shalt." Show up and it's the MXG/CC who has his 25 slides of his theory on leadership. Bullet 1 was "Officers should not wear mustaches" and bullet 2 was "Never Gamble with enlisted." These are your priorities?!?!? YGBFSM. He also said that an officer should not write their own OPR so I stand up and ask him what he thinks about the fact that not only did I write my own OPR but it just got kicked back to me for rewriting because it sucked. Mind explosion commenced.

Noted. You're a student. I wasn't talking to you.

I don't give a shit how well he can teach TP stalls. He needs some peer mentoring over his little newsletter.

ROFLMFAO

Noted. You're a student. I wasn't talking to you.

I don't give a shit how well he can teach TP stalls. He needs some peer mentoring over his little newsletter.

The sad thing is that he has already been mentored. You should have seen what happened when he ran for a position in the CGOC, and to be honest I'm surprised he is still participating after the mentoring he received. FWIW, he is a good dude.