3-star ripped for presentation referencing God

DEVIL

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/02/military-3-star-presentation-reference-god-021712/

My $.02 is that people should be doing the best the can etc. because it's their job and their supporting a mission, NOT because it is in the best interest of their god/religious beliefs...

I know this could be a volatile one, but I'm looking for thoughts.

Perception is reality.

If my boss called me into the office and briefed that these are the rules then I would take it to mean these are the rules he's expecting me to abide by, not his rules for himself.

The employee said that he provided the presentation to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, a nonprofit advocacy group, “in hopes of saving lives.”

Drama queen much? It was a fuckin' slide show, not a juggling act with live grenades.

Hawkins apparently showed a power point presentation that contained two slides titled “Ronnie’s Rules” that outline 18 priorites, the first and last of which

No doubt how he made 3 -star.

Oh and 18 priorities! WTF, even washing your hands after pissing should of been around 10 what the hell were the last 8?

A captive audience is not the appropriate forum for espousing one's faith. Save it for Sunday school, prayer breakfasts, Bible studies, etc. Causes me to doubt this GO's common sense.

Hoss, I still owe you a reply to your PM from several months ago (about faith/Bible). I haven't forgotten - been busy.

Mountain out of a molehill. As most discussions/events/issues relating to religion tend to become.

If this was an atheist saying that pure logic is the only path for him and it got him far, could a Christian person in the audience call for them to be fired, simply because his boss laid out rules (or whatever you call them) that they did not agree with?

I personally like to know if a person is highly religious, it helps me to work with them better, then again, I feel that way about a bunch of topics, not just religion.

I hope the WG/CC does not get in trouble tonight when he calls the Chaplin up to start the Chief's Induction Ceremony with a prayer.

-Totally unrelated note...at the Chief's Induction Ceremony tonight, I am strongly considering wearing my reflective belt with my mess dress, as I know it will keep me safer in the parking lot, and the inevitable drunk walk home. I figure, this event is the pivotal event that creates (in some) the future reflective belt harping...let 'em get going right away

"I personally like to know if a person is highly religious, it helps me to work with them better, then again, I feel that way about a bunch of topics, not just religion. "

So if the person is an atheist, would you be hesitant to work with them as well as you would a religious person, simply based on their lack of belief in your religion??

"I personally like to know if a person is highly religious, it helps me to work with them better, then again, I feel that way about a bunch of topics, not just religion. "

So if the person is an atheist, would you be hesitant to work with them as well as you would a religious person, simply based on their lack of belief in your religion??

lol, not at all, that's a pretty strong assumption though. I don't care one way or the other, but minor tweaks in my behavior (the only thing I can really control) is what I am talking about. e.g., I may not talk about the same things/crack the same jokes/ or even things lie it works out that sometimes in my 24/7 type ops that if you offer to do something like, say... work for someone so they can get to church...they will return the favor for you at a time of your choosing. Do onto others....yadda yadda, that works secularly and spiritually, depending on which scenario you are using it in.

Edited by Boxhead

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Our country has rapidly moved from a "Freedom OF..." country to a "Freedom FROM..." country. The one "right" people seldom talk about is their "right" to leave, walk away, move, turn the channel, etc.

These arguments are often started by the same type of folks who buy a house next to an airport, then ask the airport to move because they don't like airplane noise...

Humanism and Atheism are "religions" unto themselves.

Edited by Carpetbagger
  • Upvote 2

Look at the slideshow. He titled it "Ronnie's Rules" and presented it at an introductory commander's call. He could have easily titled it "What I Believe" and we are not having this discussion. I think the General was pretty naive to think this was appropriate for an introductory CC call.

Look at the slideshow. He titled it "Ronnie's Rules" and presented it at an introductory commander's call. He could have easily titled it "What I Believe" and we are not having this discussion. I think the General was pretty naive to think this was appropriate for an introductory CC call.

I agree with you. I think these generals love their catch phrases Lorenz on leadership-Ronnie's rules. It failed miserably in this case as soon as he injected God and rules.

At least you know exactly where he comes from and what to expect, I applaude him for it. Many leaders these days will not stand up for what the believe or articulate what they want/believe for fear of offending and/or denying their next promotion, he did it, I support him. If you don't believe in the God thing, that is fine, but he does, and that is the position of leadership he is coming from. He should continue like this is no big deal, if he had points about LGBT, the people angry about this would probably be applauding him. Get over it and realize a lot of officers/enlisted don't agree with you.

Edited by matmacwc

My $.02 is that people should be doing the best the can etc. because it's their job and their they're supporting a mission, NOT because it is in the best interest of their god/religious beliefs...

So it's ok for someone to do their best, but only if it's not because of their religion?

If someone is doing their best, why do you care about the source of their motivation?

• Upvote 3