Good military/aviation books

M2

Fellas, don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Gen Looney has a book out, it's called "Exceeding Expectations: Reflections on Leadership." Each chapter starts out with a leadership principle and then a story to go along with it dealing with something that happened during his career. It's an easy read and a very good one.

A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight

-Robert Mrazek

Awesome historical account of the Naval Air Group's (and specifically torpedo eight's) endeavors in the battles at Midway and Guadalcanal. A hard book to put down.

Edited by dml02b

• 2 months later...

Alone: The Classic Polar Adventure by Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd

This is the autobiography of Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd. Byrd is often associated with early aviation in Antarctica but he also performed a number of research expeditions. Byrd essentially writes about his 5 months in isolation during his second expedition to Antarctica in 1934. Byrd volunteered to operate a remote meteorological research station alone near the south pole. His story is incredible and I believe this to be the greatest solo adventure narrative ever written.

• 1 month later...

**REVIVAL**

Anyone read anything else good recently? Just found out my campus library has Once An Eagle. Needless to say, I'm excited to check it out. Should be a nice change of pace from my Dynamics textbook...

Guest Lockjaw25

"Flying Blind," by Wing Commander Geoffrey Morley-Mower. Just finished it a few days ago. Covers flying biplanes over Waziristan just before WWII with the RAF. Also goes into some of the author's WWII career, which is apparently detailed in great depth in Messerschmit Roulette, his other book.

Not only some great flying stories (and themes and names from the area which still resonate today), but the man's life was amazing. He managed to fly for the RAF with poor vision, hiding it for years, was then medically DQ'd, reinstated, had an exchange tour with the US, and eventually immigrated here and became a professor at JMU. I'm sad he's already passed away, and I'll never get to meet him; seems like quite the character.

"Wings on my Sleeve," by Eric "Winkle" Brown.

Royal Navy (Fleet Air Arm) pilot and famous test pilot. Flew a gazillion different types including many German ones during and immediately after WWII. One included the Me-163, not something for the faint of heart.

He did a lot of other firsts - first jet carrier landing, a bizarre experiment the Brits tried with having a rubber flight deck and a jet with no landing gear (how'd that work out?!)

The original is kinda old now, but it's in reprint as well.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the discussion of illegal immigration and the law passed in Arizona, I picked up "Midnight on the Line, The Secret Life of the US-Mexico Border" by Tim Gaynor. It covers a wide gamut of topics. Illegals walking across the border, corruption by US border officials, drug smuggling, tunnels, Border Patrol on horseback, Predator, the Minutemen and terrorists linked to Hezbollah. The scale and scope of the problem is huge. On one end of the spectrum is poor individuals just trying to make a better life for themselves. On the other end is very organized, high tech, smuggling operations complete with advance scouts, decoys, and lots of cash.

Didnt read through all 16 pages (so if they're already mentioned i apologize) but here are some to keep you busy on that 179 to the suck. . .in order of badassedness. .

Thunderbolt! -Robert Johnson, 27 kills in the Jug with the Wolfpack, absolute favorite book. .

Pak Six - G.I. Basel, -105 driver 1967, CGO perspective on flying hairy combat, awesome short read!

Fighter Pilot - Robin Olds - self explanatory. . . .excellent read.

Misty - Compilation of short stories from the Hun (FAC'ing it up).

100 Missions North - Ken Bell, -105 driver

Phantom Over Vietnam - John Trotti, USMC F4 dude

When Thunder Rolled / Palace Cobra - Ed Rasimus, -105's & Phantoms, both good reads

Cheating Death - George Marret, Skyraiders & CSAR (read: huge f-ing stones)

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason, UH1's Vietnam, read it cover to cover in a few days. . crazy s**t

I know this one is listed here, but Jimmy Doolittle's book " I could never be so lucky again" was awesome. Great flying stories and just a great read overall. The guy stopped flying on his own accord because he couldn't get enough hours every month to be "good" at it. 10,000 plus hours in the late 40s/early 50s. Just a badass who seemed to always be at the right place at the right time.

BF

• 3 weeks later...

I caught a news article where the last known survivor of Stalag Luft III died the other day.

It reminded me of some great books about what became known as "The Great Escape."

Some books on topic: "The Great Escape," by Paul Brickhill. GREAT read and what the great movie by the same name is based on.

33 Months as a POW in Stalag Luft III," by Albert Clark, a USAAF pilot shot down on his first mission in theater. He was flying with the Brits in a Spitfire.

"The Longest Tunnel," by Alan Burgess.

Edited by brickhistory

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fellas,

The book "Unbroken" is a MUST read. The book is about Louis Zamperini, a former Olympian who became a bombardier aboard a B-24. Crashed, spent 45 days floating on a raft in the pacific, and then spent two years of absolue hell in Jap (can I stil say that?) POW camps. I cannot even begin to fathom, what this man went through. Please check it out.

post-2294-084999500 1294008410_thumb.jpg

I'm reading Robin Old's book right now. I'm only into the first three chapters, but I think that it's one of the best things a 20 year old enlisted kid can read. Looks like I'm not the only dude that got busted for underage drinking. :beer:

Fellas,

The book "Unbroken" is a MUST read. The book is about Louis Zamperini...,

Being an airport bum, I stopped at Torrence-Zamperini Airport back in 2002 while driving thru LA. I'd never heard of Mr Zamperini before. They have a good museum/display dedicated to him. An amazing individual, who has qualities that we should all have.

Great airport, too. Spent about 10 hours there... and ended up flying in a 1920-ish TravelAir for about an hour.

I knocked out George W's "Decision Points" over the past week. Great read! Nice to see things through his point-of-view and past the distortion of the media. Iraq and Afghan were pretty interesting, but I enjoyed other topics like AIDS and education which I wasn't as familiar with. Cool to see the process it took to reach the decisions he made, as well get a behind-the-scenes look at the oval office. I thought he did a good job of recognizing mistakes he made, what he could've done better, and in general debrief his presidency.

I'm reading Robin Old's book right now. I'm only into the first three chapters, but I think that it's one of the best things a 20 year old enlisted kid can read. Looks like I'm not the only dude that got busted for underage drinking. :beer:

Fantastic book! I am reading "Brute" by Robert Coram and it is a fantastic read.

• Upvote 1