Marines Urinating on Dead Taliban

breakaway

This whole affair should be instructive on deciding when and how to go to war. If nuking the enemy's cities, salting their earth, and peeing on their corpses leads to outrage and falling on your fainting couch, the nation is probably better off staying home and playing Madden 12.

I find this way more offensive than the Marines pissing on the Taliban. A bunch of guys torturing an animal in front of a small child. WTF

• Upvote 2

Guest CAVEMAN

If all else fails, claim insanity. No one will argue the gruesome effect of war or the effects of PTSD. You might end up losing your clearance and seeing a shrink but at least you walk away with some severance/disability pay.

I guess the Army didn't want to get left out.

Sheep beaten with a bat caught on video.

Normally I would say PETA can suck it, but the video is pretty messed up.

Not sure what it says about my own personal psychology when the idea of this video pisses me off to no end but pissing on the dead taliban didn't cause an ounce of emotion either way.

Edited by Catbox

Not sure what it says about my own personal psychology when the idea of this video pisses me off to no end but pissing on the dead taliban didn't cause an ounce of emotion either way.

The animal was helpless and clueless and didn't take a brutal fight to you (or the Marines). It didn't deserve what happened to it.

The happily deceased Taliban? They had the human trait of personal choice.

Works for me anyway.

There's a really interesting book called The Most Dangerous Animal: Human Nature and the Origins of War by David Livingstone Smith. He does an excellent job at breaking down the psychology, evolutionary biology and history of war that writes stuff like this off to human nature which many people in combat with no diagnosed or known psychological or mental disorders doing far worse than this. Even Chimpanzees are documented to have absolutely obliterated and desecrated former band (herd?) mates that they grew up with until their groups split up and moved away. There's a lot of pretty disturbing stuff in there, and it can be a little dense on the science, but overall it's a really good read. That doesn't make this right or okay, but it isn't the first time it has happened and it won't be the last.

The thing is animals didn't deserve to suffer. The first time I saw a taliban killed in afghanistan, I laughed. The circumstances of the kill were kind of ridiculous(borderline Darwin Award) and that was part of it, and some of it was the joy of watching the enemy die, and some of it was the temporary insanity which afflicts any gentlemen after he is deprived of fermented beverages and sexual intercourse for months on end. So what I'm saying is that you are normal. Liking animals and hating the enemy are both good things.

• Upvote 1

I vividly remember my dad telling me a story about when he was flying Huey gunships in Vietnam (20th SOS Green Hornets). It was on a mission when their primary mission was scrubbed and a FAC had them roll in and kill water buffalo that the enemy was using as transport. This was the only mission he said he ever felt bad or had any remorse. Conversely, he said that on other missions (including one where he was directly responsible for over 100 EKIA and earned the first of 2 DFC's), the main feeling was relief that the good guys got out of there in one piece.

• Upvote 1

I vividly remember my dad telling me a story about when he was flying Huey gunships in Vietnam (20th SOS Green Hornets). It was on a mission when their primary mission was scrubbed and a FAC had them roll in and kill water buffalo that the enemy was using as transport. This was the only mission he said he ever felt bad or had any remorse. Conversely, he said that on other missions (including one where he was directly responsible for over 100 EKIA and earned the first of 2 DFC's), the main feeling was relief that the good guys got out of there in one piece.

Right on. Such is the insanity of our humanity. I can certainly empathize with such an account. I believe the sense of remorse may come from the perception the animals, in aggregate, wouldn't attack you, but humans would snuff the life out of you in a heartbeat.

I wonder how people today would react to Gen Horner's comments prior to the kickoff of Desert Storm?

"There is nothing in Kuwait worth dying for so I don''t need any of you fuckers being stupid. Know this, if you die because you're stupid I'm going to fuck your wife and piss on your grave. Any questions?"

Nope. None.

I wonder how people today would react to Gen Horner's comments prior to the kickoff of Desert Storm?

"There is nothing in Kuwait worth dying for so I don''t need any of you fuckers being stupid. Know this, if you die because you're stupid I'm going to fuck your wife and piss on your grave. Any questions?"

Nope. None.

Would you refresh us folk of SNAPish age what the context of the General's remark was at the time? Was he speaking to dying outside combat engagement? Becuase if I'm reading it right I think I could make the same argument about every fokin self-licking ice cream cone REMF-laden AF deployed location currently in existence. Not worth a fuckin hang nail over.

Guest CAVEMAN

Would you refresh us folk of SNAPish age what the context of the General's remark was at the time? Was he speaking to dying outside combat engagement? Becuase if I'm reading it right I think I could make the same argument about every fokin self-licking ice cream cone REMF-laden AF deployed location currently in existence. Not worth a in hang nail over.

That is to say, waste the motherers

There is a difference between respecting someone's dead body and not disrespecting someone's dead body.

I don't see why anyone would have to show respect to the Taliban..dead or alive.

I would leave the dead Taliban to rot where they died and would try my hardest to restrain pissing on them. This is not respect or disrespect.

This kind of thing does do damage to the "hearts and minds" campaign but as Rainman pointed out, without it they'd find another recruiting tool. The real strategic damage is at home. A democratic nation can't sustain a long term military commitment without the support of the electorate, and anything that makes the people feel that the moral position of that commitment is illegitimate (justified or not) influences the national command authority.