2012 AFRC Board

Guest pilotbax

Guest pilotbax

I know the board is still quite a few months away, but I am curious if anyone can shed some advice on this for me. I have been told that the boards are continually getting more and more competitive so I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of my chances. I do plan on taking the AFOQT again, but was curious about what scores they focus on.....ex: just pilot or all together? When I do increase the verbal (yes, I know it was pretty low... guess I should have focused on those besides Aviation) will it raise the others? I also, plan on taking the PCSM again after the AFOQT.

GPA 3.64

Pilot 90

Nav 50

Verb 13

AA 30

Quan 52

PCSM 67

Age 27, female, BS in Aviation, Cum Laude, I have my PPL, worked in Aviation for about 8 years, currently Airport Ops Coordinator, AFReserves A-10/F-16 Crew Chief for 6 years. I was an Honor Grad from Basic, Enlisted Member of the Year 2006, FW Physical Training Leader, AHP Aviation Honor Society, AAAE, WAI, Air Show coordinator, Multiple Scholarships, Dean's List, TxDOT Releiver Airport of the Year, volleyball, softball......blah blah blah...

I guess the question is, do they FIRST only focus on the scores .... or look at the whole picture before eliminating someone? I am open to any response or advice.

Guest pilotbax

Currently, I am waiting to hear back from the med/SG through a recruiter. No use in moving forward without checking for one questionable issue on the med prescreen. Once that passes then I plan on getting a sponsor. However, I have checked with the ANG and they do the med/SG after you are selected. Correct??

and to continue....Bold move cotton...... "we'll see if it pays off"

Edited by pilotbax

Guest pilotbax

Is anyone else here wanting to go through the June Board? If so, what are your scores, what sponsors and what base are you looking at? Cargo or Fighters?

I'm shooting for the June board as well. Your AFOQT scores aren't too far off my first try. I'd retake as soon as you can. You may want to check if you can even apply with a 13 verbal. I thought the minimum was 15 but I could be wrong.

I was picked up by a heavy unit at Pope AFB for pilot. I found out not too long ago that I was DQ for eyesight so I think I'm going to accept a NAV spot.

As far as your question on med/SG, the ANG process may be different then the reserves, but I was sponsored then went to MEPS. DQed after MEPS but prior to my flight physical by someone...I'm still not entirely sure who DQed me. Then at FCIA the flight doc said that I would have no problem getting a waiver for a IFCI for pilot.

Good luck!

First Try:

Pilot-79

Nav- 52

AA-35

Verbal- 18

Quant.- 55

PCSM- 84

Second Try:

Pilot- 96

Nav- 70

AA- 77

Verbal- 72

Quant.- 73

PCSM- 92

Is anyone else here wanting to go through the June Board? If so, what are your scores, what sponsors and what base are you looking at? Cargo or Fighters?

I've been sponsored by a unit to go to the June boards...Scores:

PCSM: 94

AFOQT Pilot: 93 (I can't remember my other scores...I'm already commissioned and its been a long time since I looked at my other scores)

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (I might be off +/- .1.I would need to pull up my resume)

MBA GPA: 3.7

Prior Service Crew Chief on 141s & C5s

Not sure what other scores I could post without going into OPRs, etc

I am about to post a sticky but check out :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/AFRC-Undergraduate-Flying-Training/239245746115580

Its a direct link to the people who run the AFRC board and they want people to ask questions. That way, you are getting the most up-to-date info

Edited by MattS

I do plan on taking the AFOQT again, but was curious about what scores they focus on.....ex: just pilot or all together? When I do increase the verbal (yes, I know it was pretty low... guess I should have focused on those besides Aviation) will it raise the others? I also, plan on taking the PCSM again after the AFOQT.

I believe the analogies are the only component of the verbal composite that factor into the algorithm to calculate your pilot score. Wantscheck.com has an equation that does not include any of the verbal sections, but everywhere else I checked included the analogies. Otherwise, both the analogies and word knowledge sections are used in conjunction with your quantitative score to derive your Academic Aptitude. Raising your verbal score would show positive results on your pilot score and AA.

Edited by Masshole

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up a sponsor and I'm shooting for June AFRC board as well. I've knocked MEPS out and I'm trying to get this FC1 scheduled ASAP. I'm learning that's there's nothing quick about this process at all.

ugh...I feel ya on that one........June couldn't come fast enough lol....luckily I have a decent amount of travelling over the next few months that will help time go by fast......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How quickly do you think a unit can't put together a package for the board? Has anybody had experience or know of someone who quickly put together an AFRC package with only about two months to go? Assume that all the applicant has all the materials (e.g., transcripts) he needs to get and MEPS has been completed. Is it realistic to get the FC1/MFS scheduled and competed before 25 May?

I know a few guys that are in the same boat as you. You should be able to make it but there isn't much room for hiccups in the process. After MEPS it took me about 3 weeks to get a FC1 date. (non-prior/no waivers) Then add on around 3 weeks of a heads up on your dates, plus however long it takes to get results back...and pray nothing goes wrong in the process.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, good luck to you too. This must be the quietest AFRC board thread...I'm going to pretend that means less applications/competition for a slot, haha

Any insider info as to how many slots are allocated at the June board?

^^No clue man...you could probably ask the AFRC Facebook page and someone who is in the know might reply. I thought I read somewhere that the November boards selected 43/50 guys.....Other than the June 2011 board which was an anomaly (so I've been told) due to MFS moving to WP, selection numbers seem pretty good......

What unit picked you up?

Edited by MattS

• 2 weeks later...

The board is a week away and I don't know about yall, but i am a bit nervous about the outcome. Anyone here of the number of slots available? I heard there have been over 50 packages submitted.

Good luck to everyone!!!

:pow-mia:

My recruiter told me that AFRC was given roughly 100 spots to split between the two boards this year. Not sure how accurate that is. I thought I remember reading somewhere that they picked up 43 guys in November....If those numbers are close, the 50 app's that are in for June would be about right......

Does anyone know if the New Mexico Air Gaurd is going to be holding a hiring board soon? I'm a CSO/Nav from the KC-135 that separated in March and would like to join the gaurd unit. I know I would have to go through Little Rock for C-130 training then come back to Albuquerque for HC/MC-130 specifics. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know if the New Mexico Air Gaurd is going to be holding a hiring board soon? I'm a CSO/Nav from the KC-135 that separated in March and would like to join the gaurd unit. I know I would have to go through Little Rock for C-130 training then come back to Albuquerque for HC/MC-130 specifics. Thanks in advance.

Do you want to join as a Nav or go for a UPT slot? My recommendation is just give em a call. In my experience the units were all cool and willing to talk over your options, if they were hiring, etc....