Closed with Dave Devine, 3.25% like most of the others of late. Great rates, leaps and bounds better than what USAA was willing to offer. Also, Dave pointed out that USAA was trying to charge me over $100 a month more for Homeowner's insurance as compared to other companies. Got a great rate and helped me save some money on the insurance side as well. I highly recommend Dave and NBoKC for VA loans. Great customer service and easy to work with over the phone or through e-mail with quick response times.

Sent Dan Stevens a PM and he got me in touch with Matt Hering that same day. I got all the paperwork to him in one day and now i'm just waiting to close. I bought my current home June 2014 at 4.375%, refinanced at 3.25% with zero out of pocket costs. HIGHLY RECOMMEND these guys, they have been great.

Thanks Dan!

• 2 weeks later...

I just PCSd out to Nellis and wanted to leave a review now that we've closed, moved in, and paid our first payment.

Based on the suggestions here I called National Bank of Kansas. They blew NFCU, USAA, a local lender used by my realtor, and another local lender (as well as an internet search) out of the water with regard to overall fees and rates. I worked with Jackie R. and she was professional and friendly throughout. Unlike some of the other banks who played games with changing around the loan officer, not wanting to give the straight scoop on rates/points/fees, etc she was consistent and straight up throughout the shopping process.

Once I put in an offer on a house the seller came back with a counter -- the main condition was that we close in under three weeks, over the holidays to boot. I was worried as most VA loans take awhile but a quick phone call to Jackie at NBOKC and the word was "no problem -- press." She had the loan finalized and we closed a few days early. My realtor was super happy about working with them. Other folks in my sq used the same realtor and a different lender and had huge problems.

With our first payment came a bottle of Kansas City BBQ sauce and a nice thank you for the business note. Nice touch.

All in all the process was easy. The referrals out of this thread saved me a significant amount of money, time and hassle.

ETA -- Final rate was 3.25% for a 15 yr fixed with $2200 lender credit (reverse points). They offered 3% with no lender credit. We'll only be in the house for a few years so the credit was a no-brainer. No origination charge (other than the mandatory VA fee) and their other fees (for appraisal, escrow, etc) were standard and reasonable.

Edited by rustic313

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to post a quick note since the traditional moving season is right around the corner. And I know this community has their share of people that are transitioning to work for commercial airlines.

If you are a new hire with the airlines and are having a hard time finding a lender, send me a PM. We have a loan officer on staff who has helped many borrowers in this situation (husband is retired from the A/F and is a fairly recent new hire with a major airline). She understands how commercial airline pilots are paid and how to verify your new income.

Got a VA Loan from Dave Devine in Sept for 3.75% and was contacted by Dave last week to refinance for 3.35% and roll the fees back into the loan.

Excellent service and highly recommend!

• 3 weeks later...

Add another to the list of happy NBOKC customers. VA refi from 3.75 to 3.25 with 5K credits, a check at closing and all it cost me was rolling VA funding fee on top of leftover principal.

Our broker was good, but think I would've been more pleased with Dave from reading all the comments. PM me if you want more info.

As for MoversAdvantage, most of the realtors they pair you with aren't the ones winning local and national level awards! Use a real estate friend to recommend one and it can be beneficial for both of you.

My wife was leery of using a bank she'd never heard of and tried to find every reason as to why NBOKC was trying to screw us over. That all changed when the lawyer/notary showed up to the house at the time of our convenience with the entire process being done in about 4 weeks.

I've already recommended NBOKC to friends doing summer moves and will keep doing so in the future.

• 2 months later...

Putting in another nod to Dave Devine and NBKC. This was the second VA loan I've done with him and he was right there when we needed him. We closed in March on a bank-owned home which led to a very frustrating experience. The closing company (selected by the seller) was beyond incompetent. We had several delays causing the closing to slip by nearly a month. With one roadblock after the next, Dave was there, trying to expedite the process. Toward the end, he was even working out issues with my closing while simultaneously feeding his kids breakfast... seriously. I got 3.25% with a $3,400 lender credit. Dave was able to keep the rate locked in for me despite delay after delay.

I can't say enough about NBKC and Dave Devine. It's great to see that some companies actually still do care about customer service.

It almost seems pointless to pile on but Dave's work deserves another nod.

We closed last Friday with Dave Devine and he was awesome from start to finish. I did a decent amount of shopping around and Dave was refreshingly straight forward, quick to tell me what he could/couldn't do and easily beat the other banks I was considering (3.25% 30 yr fixed, $2000 credit, zero lender fees). Once we decided to go with NBOKC Dave was proactive and competent. He worked directly with our realtor and attorney which made the often cumbersome VA loan process as painless as possible. Ultimately we closed remotely and on time...I'm not overstating when I say it couldn't have been easier or gone smoother.

Overall, super happy with Dave and NBOKC. I'd definitely consider them if you're shopping around a lender!

I got 3.75% and $7.5K for my initial mortgage and 3.25% &$3.4K for my refinance last month.

It depends on the rate, as the credit is basically negative points. In other words, if you took a higher rate (3.5 vs 3.25) you'd get cash. Or maybe you're taking a lower rate, but not getting the credit. We took 3.75 initially with the $7.5K but could have gotten 3.5 with no credit.

I got 3.75% and $7.5K for my initial mortgage and 3.25% &$3.4K for my refinance last month.

It depends on the rate, as the credit is basically negative points. In other words, if you took a higher rate (3.5 vs 3.25) you'd get cash. Or maybe you're taking a lower rate, but not getting the credit. We took 3.75 initially with the $7.5K but could have gotten 3.5 with no credit.

Did you go through Dave?

Yes. Both times, I actually hadn't started to research refinancing until he called to let me know what his credit was up to. The lenders credit fluctuates daily, and depending on the day you enter a contract, you can gain or lose $1K from the previous day. It's crazy how much luck is involved.

Yes. Both times, I actually hadn't started to research refinancing until he called to let me know what his credit was up to. The lenders credit fluctuates daily, and depending on the day you enter a contract, you can gain or lose $1K from the previous day. It's crazy how much luck is involved.

this. we are closing in a week and the week between when we were getting pre-approved and actually found a house to get locked in it went from 3.25 with 2k credit to only a 400 credit....timing is everything.

I'll add to the list of recommendations for this company. We worked with Richard Homburger and he was excellent. We were able to get a 3.75% with $5.3K in credit. Like others mentioned above, the lender credit fluctuates daily. We allowed a local lender to compete with what NBoKC was offering and delayed securing the rate. In one day, the lender credit dropped by $1.5K. We were first time homebuyers working with a "for sale by owner" property. Richard was always available to answer our questions and we closed on time!

• 5 weeks later...

What kind of rates are guys getting these days for a VA loan? Been thinking about jumping in.

I didn't use nbokc, but we got 3.5%. On a brand new house, from the dirt up.

What kind of rates are guys getting these days for a VA loan? Been thinking about jumping in.

3.75 for nothing down on a 300k 9 year old house.

Probably could have been a touch lower but that's pretty much the average everybody that just PCSd with my unit and bought instead of rented.