New BAH rates are out.

Loach

47 minutes ago, Lawman said:

That’s so your land lord can get himself reset before putting the place up for its new rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thankfully I bought right before things went really crazy in the market where I’m at.  Assuming no issues with the inspection/appraisal I’m about to make a stupid amount of money on a house I’ve only owned for 2.5 years.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lawman said:

Housing prices in my area are ~1.4-1.7x their value a year or two ago…

And mine went down.

Same, except the Dep rate went up and the W/O Dep rate went down...again!  Hating on the single man yet again lol.   Oh well, barring a major shooting match, I'm fairly certain I've done my last order.

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

Friendly reminder that your BAH check won't go down until you PCS.  Can only go up at same duty station.  

Unless you're in the Guard/Reserves and your orders are not 100% continuous 😔

I still want a peek behind the curtain on these formulas man. I moved from the city urban core to the suburbs and per 2021 rates my BAH is ~$350 higher out here (non-AGR Guard your BAH is based on your residence zip, not duty zip). Houses out here are understandably cheaper across the board. Makes zero sense.

Get enough monkeys handcuffed to keyboards I guess eventually they produce Shakespeare but I mean...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daynightindicator said:

Here is a great primer on how BAH is calculated.

https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/BAH-Primer.pdf

Of note, it is purely based off of rental costs. The gov could care less about home prices (although they traditionally influence rental rates, so indirectly they are related).

You'd think the "utilities" portion alone would have driven up rates...

• 11 months later...
Anyone know which zip you get BAH based on in the guard - base zip or your current address zip? Does type of orders, type 1 vs 2, etc. make a difference?

It should still list your zip code for BAH on your LES. That’s where I had to check since my post has 3 zip codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/16/2021 at 8:43 AM, nsplayr said:

Get enough monkeys handcuffed to keyboards I guess eventually they produce Shakespeare but I mean...

Normally if I’m quoting you it’s to shit all over your political views, but I must’ve missed this gem from a year ago. Absolutely beautiful; nearly pissed my pants!!

Edited by O Face
Words
  • Upvote 1

@Smokin@SocialD Do you guys have any AFI/DODI references for the BAH zipcode thing? About to have some T32 orders written, but they're not sure if they should put the unit address or my home address on the orders (significant variation in BAH/different states). I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed out of the higher BAH (unit zipcode), but also do not want to erroneously get the unit zipcode rate for 6-9 months, just to get audited and owe the govt a bunch of money. Per usual, I'll probably get more accurate data here than from the finance office. Thanks guys!

Edited by brabus

6 hours ago, brabus said:

@Smokin@SocialD Do you guys have any AFI/DODI references for the BAH zipcode thing? About to have some T32 orders written, but they're not sure if they should put the unit address or my home address on the orders (significant variation in BAH/different states). I want to make sure I'm not getting screwed out of the higher BAH (unit zipcode), but also do not want to erroneously get the unit zipcode rate for 6-9 months, just to get audited and owe the govt a bunch of money. Per usual, I'll probably get more accurate data here than from the finance office. Thanks guys!

https://www.housing.af.mil/portals/79/documents/afd-160628-023.pdf

20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

The policy decision to use duty location as a basis for BAH is based on the desire to compensate members for the typical housing cost near the member's duty location. Once the duty station is known, the BAH compensation is fixed, regardless of where the member lives. Were the member's residence location to be used as a basis for the allowance, there is the concern that this would cause a member to choose the residence location based on BAH. In some cases, this may lead to a member choosing to live further from the duty station, simply to receive higher BAH. In other cases, when a member commutes from/to a lower cost area, the members would find the BAH to be lower, even though the commuting expenses are higher. The Services decided to base the allowance on the duty location with the full knowledge that members would still be free to live where they choose, but that this decision would not affect the BAH amount.

https://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/allowances/bah_types.aspx

A member with permanent duty within the 50 United States, who is not furnished government housing, is eligible for Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), based on the member's dependency status at the permanent duty ZIP Code. 

Edited by Sua Sponte

15 hours ago, brabus said:

I'll talk to our comptroller on Tuesday...dude is the most by the book person I've ever met, I'm sure he has the reference handy.  The only time my BAH was based off my home zip code, was when I was on ADOS orders.