IFS and the right sight picture......

Smokey

This is the singe piece of advice I've heard repeated ad nauseam for the past 6 months, and I'll probably hear it even more for the next 6. I imagine most other incoming studs are the same. So why on earth can't people pass the test on it? I'm guessing it's the easiest test you'll have for the next ~1.5 years (IFS + UPT)...if you can't pass that one.... *facepalm*

Classes don't pass it because it's more than just knowing the correct numbers. It's taken under time constraints and/or distractions (sometimes) - and EVERY test by EVERY student has to look exactly the same....same capitalization of letters, same punctuation, EVERYTHING.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who miss a comma in 1,000, forget to capitalize a letter, their "L" looks like a "C", or misspell brakes as breaks ( :banghead: )

Students just aren't on the "same page" when they first take it with regards to how it's supposed to be formatted.

Thanks for all the advice though, Smokey. It's great to know at least one Doss instructor is on here. Can't wait to get there in July!

Chug it.

Classes don't pass it because it's more than just knowing the correct numbers. It's taken under time constraints and/or distractions (sometimes) - and EVERY test by EVERY student has to look exactly the same....same capitalization of letters, same punctuation, EVERYTHING.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who miss a comma in 1,000, forget to capitalize a letter, their "L" looks like a "C", or misspell brakes as breaks ( :banghead: )

Students just aren't on the "same page" when they first take it with regards to how it's supposed to be formatted.

To quote the directions...

"DA-20 Boldface

Be able to write this boldface verbatim when you arrive."

Verbatim means exactly the way the example depicts!

I had an absolute blast at IFS. Granted I had prior experience, but I never once went into a flight thinking "man these guys are here to wash me out." Rather, I was just thrilled to be able to fly airplanes for free and get one step closer to UPT! I studied hard, played volleyball everyday, and learned as much as I could about the UPT environment.

I finished IFS at the end of June. I had no previous flight experience, no knowledge of how a plane works besides pull the stick back and it goes up (STS). Having said that, if you go into IFS with the mindset that you're going to be a sponge, absorbing all the knowledge that the IP's teach, taking everything for what it is, and not allowing one bad flight to wreck you, you can get through this program.

Saying that, IFS in 4 weeks provided me more of a challenge than 4 yrs of college. I studied harder at IFS than I did in college. Its really your attitude and how you take failure and success that proves your measure as a student. We had guys that went to 88 and 89 rides that "rally backed" from bad flights, the work load and the stress and finished. Then again, we also had guys that didnt and washed out.

Currently I'm 1month away from track selecting. Just shutup and do what the IP's tell you, study hard, and you'll get through it. It sucks, but like everything just push through.

• 3 weeks later...

When you get right down to it, the Cmdr's ranking is virtually 100% of your score. Why? Because history says that over the course of training, most stuff averages out except for one or two people at the very top and very bottom. Average check scores over the phase are pretty close, average academics scores are pretty close, "officership" is pretty close, and when lumped together, they tend to cancel each other out. So, the Flight Commander's rating becomes the real discriminator. You pretty much get what the IPs and Flight Commander want to give you based on their opinions! Bottom line: attitude is everything...don't piss off the boss!!!!

Sage words of wisdom...........

Smokey

good morning all, im a senior cadet slated to go to pilot training, i have only 1hr in the piper 28. Im a lil older, i've already had my wild young boy fun as I used to play professional baseball, so I'm completely over the college fun days. Would you guys recommend racking my brain on learning the ops limits and boldface for DA-20 or should i just wait for all the fun at IFS. :) Thanks in advance all advice is appreciated.

Huh???

"DA-20 Boldface

I think this might be the answer to:

So why on earth can't people pass the test on it?

• Upvote 1

i really asked this question the wrong way, I knew that i had to know the OL's and BF's cold. I was more or less wanting to ask about learning the flying procedures, emergency procedures and studying the playbook along with the Ops and Boldface. Sorry for such a poor question, I was actually studying the OL's and BF's and doing my job at work all at the same time while tyring to ask that question. LOL.

This is the singe piece of advice I've heard repeated ad nauseam for the past 6 months, and I'll probably hear it even more for the next 6. I imagine most other incoming studs are the same. So why on earth can't people pass the test on it? I'm guessing it's the easiest test you'll have for the next ~1.5 years (IFS + UPT)...if you can't pass that one.... *facepalm*

Thanks for all the advice though, Smokey. It's great to know at least one Doss instructor is on here. Can't wait to get there in July!

Also, just out of curiosity, when do we get (officially) sent info like the BF and Ops Limits? Does it come with our UPT orders? IFS TDY orders? Or when we arrive in Pueblo?

Sorry, missed this post as I don't drive by very often. You're sent nothing that I'm aware of. Go to www.dossifs.com and go to the incoming students link. There's a welcome "package" on there from the 1st that has the BF/OL in it. You can print it out.

This also might seem stupid to some, but do your BF in pencil, capital block letters, just like the example. Pencil so you can erase your mistakes.

Here's the link to the 1st FTS pre-arrival guide. http://dossifs.com/d...rival_Guide.pdf

Good luck to all.

Smokey

Wait....what? You told mother blue about this website? Some generals are in for a bit of a surprise!!

I didn't tell anyone about anything. It was an indirect comment from "Smudge" if you know who that is. He commented that he like whoever that Smokey guy is on the baseops forum that dispells rumors or corrects misconceptions about IFS. So I guess mother blue knows we're all here.

Cheers,

Smokey

Just remember if you check with Smokey volunteer airspace first for the ground eval. Because as told me (paraphrase) "no one ever wants to do that first but you might as well get it over with."

Did I fly your checkride?? Regarding GK, it's less in-depth at IFS than at UPT for sure. It's required to be at a 3 level (Fair=Safe Level). More or less an inch deep, but a mile wide.

Good luck in the next phase of the journey to get your wings.

Smokey

I finished IFS at the end of June. I had no previous flight experience, no knowledge of how a plane works besides pull the stick back and it goes up (STS). Having said that, if you go into IFS with the mindset that you're going to be a sponge, absorbing all the knowledge that the IP's teach, taking everything for what it is, and not allowing one bad flight to wreck you, you can get through this program.

Saying that, IFS in 4 weeks provided me more of a challenge than 4 yrs of college. I studied harder at IFS than I did in college. Its really your attitude and how you take failure and success that proves your measure as a student. We had guys that went to 88 and 89 rides that "rally backed" from bad flights, the work load and the stress and finished. Then again, we also had guys that didnt and washed out.

Currently I'm 1month away from track selecting. Just shutup and do what the IP's tell you, study hard, and you'll get through it. It sucks, but like everything just push through.

You sir are going to do well in your quest with that attitude. And, after finishing IFS, I hope nothing was a "surprise" when you began UPT. Our goal is that when you left us, you knew how to handle a stand-up EP, how to "learn" in a manner that allowed you to internalize any given maneuver/procedure, and how to balance all the requirements and stress placed upon you during the UPT training.

Best of luck on track select.

Smokey

Edited by Smokey

"DA-20 Boldface

The day a class comes in and passes the BF/OL on day one......I'll fall over from shock. It isn't hard, but some people just don't get it. I remember the day I showed up for UPT so many years ago. I was handed a package which included the BF/OL's for the Tweet and told to have it memorized by tomorrow. I did what I was told. We all did it by the deadline. Jeez, the spin BF alone was 27 words long.

Why this generation can't get it surprises me. In our current new class, there's a flight still in polyester (when not going to fly). You want to wear your blues when not flying, it's okay with me.

My current class actually did well on their first attempt. Only 3 failures on the BF/OL's. They got their stuff together and passed on the second try. They were in their bags after day two. Of course, they sought me out for a re-attempt and I was available. I'm not always available due to the schedule however. But, they stood out among their peers showing up for academics in bags day 3.

It's up to you (future students) on how it plays out. You've been on this forum, you better spread the word to the uninformed.

Smokey

i really asked this question the wrong way, I knew that i had to know the OL's and BF's cold. I was more or less wanting to ask about learning the flying procedures, emergency procedures and studying the playbook along with the Ops and Boldface. Sorry for such a poor question, I was actually studying the OL's and BF's and doing my job at work all at the same time while tyring to ask that question. LOL.

Don't bother learning any of the local flying procedures or IFS specific stuff since what you'll find will probably be outdated, and it'll probably change again by the time you get there. You can get ahead on studying GA type stuff. Learn basic aerodynamic principles, learn about airspace stuff, airfield markings and the like. That sort of GK isn't specific to IFS and doesn't necessarily change from place to place so you can learn it and be reasonably sure that you'll be able to apply it and won't have to unlearn it.

You might be able to look at the DA-20 systems as well and take a look at how those work.

Hey guys, new to the site but I've been reading a good bit of your posts and it is all great information for someone like myself soon to start training and attend IFS. The flightsuits (after everyone passes the first test)..the welcome packet says come with them AND the necessary patches. AETC patch is no problem to attain, but what name tag is necessary? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I was able to get leather ones from the parachute riggers shop on base. I am one of those CSO types, so that probably doesn't help you too much. Most of the upt guys there had cloth patches specific to their bases.

Patches and such shouldn't be the big focus for you. Know those bold face and ops limits. Cold. You don't wanna be the guy who dorks that one up.

Edited by theSituation