USAF gets MOPs

HU&W

Experts took note of the fact that the military disclosed delivery of the new bunker-busting bomb less than a week after a United Nations agency warned that Iran was secretly working to develop a nuclear weapon. That country is known to have hidden nuclear complexes that are fortified with steel and concrete, and buried under mountains.

"Heck of a coincidence, isn't it?"

Edit: Beat to the punch.

Edited by ptwob

http://www.wtkr.com/...0,7519435.story

Pretty cool, but by my math that's over $15M per boom. I hope we're getting more than just 20 for our money.

Like many things we buy, I suspect that most of the money was used in the pre-production R&D process...figuring out how to design the body to penetrate and survive, how to protect the fuse componants during penatration, what proportion of case and explosive was the best option, etc. Actual production was probably a fairly small percentage.

Personally, I liked this quote, "It 'is specifically designed to go after very dense targets … where enemies are putting things that the president of the United States wants to hold at risk.'"

In other words, the President's pimp-hand just got a whole lot stronger.

• Upvote 1

Pretty cool, but by my math that's over $15M per boom. I hope we're getting more than just 20 for our money.

Think about the targets you can destroy with this thing and it is a bargain.

And I'm with Hoss...awesome is the perfect word.

:flag_waving:

Like many things we buy, I suspect that most of the money was used in the pre-production R&D process...figuring out how to design the body to penetrate and survive, how to protect the fuse componants during penatration, what proportion of case and explosive was the best option, etc. Actual production was probably a fairly small percentage.

Yes