ACSC OLMP?

DC

I just finished the online 'supplemental' ACSC through ASU (I had already gotten my masters through the OLMP a few years back). That's my pro-tip for folks. Bang out the OLMP for free, it then counts for a significant portion of ACSC.

So now that I am done, here are my impressions. It was night and day better than the AU program (also not a big surprise). Even with a two month pause during the transition from AU to ASU, plus an overseas PCS, and the holidays, I was able to finish the course in six months...with about 4.5 months of actual work. I spent more time waiting to sign up for proctored classes than I spent doing actual classes.

Pros:

1. It isn't AU run.
  2. Signing up is super easy, Registering for classes is super easy....i.e. instant compared to the 1-2 week process with AU.
  3. Online interface is far superior to the AU blackboard. Everything you need is there, you can track your progress, see what has been assigned, when things are due, ect. Notification pushes can be customized and actually work. List goes on. See Pro #1.
  4. Self-paced classes can be knocked out relatively fast, depending how you approach them.
  5. The proctored classes are typically the final class in the block, once you sign up for one, the next block of self-paced classes unlocks. Allows you to get ahead while waiting for the proctored class to start.
  6. Proctored classes aren't any different than before, but with a much more user friendly interface, they feel easier. Paper requirements were minimal and not difficult. Still the same old posting requirements as before.
  7. Online support was very responsive and fast, I believe it was also 24/7. I was able to chat with someone at ASU and solve any issues I had immediately.
  8. Some of the Joint classes referenced materials from classes I didn't have to take. ASU allows you to sign up for those classes in a special "access material" status.
  9. Upon completion, the ACSC check-in-the-box on my SURF was updated within 3 weeks without any effort on my side. Not sure what wizardry they do to get that done so fast.

Cons:

1. If you previously completed OLMP and want to do the supplemental program you have to contact student services through the ASU 'help' chat after signing up. They will then transition you into the program appropriately. It was not clear when I originally signed up, might be better now. Either way their help was fast and immediate.
  2. Sign up window for proctored classes are monthly. So if you miss a window, then you have to wait another month to sign up.
  3. The Joint 'games' are still somewhat of a shit show/joke. Googleuniveristy can help getting through certain ones.

Something else for guys that got picked up for an IDE program that doesn’t count for JPME 1. You only have to take the supplemental top off and not the entire ACSC correspondence course according to AFPC. At least this year anyway. A few guys in my program were approved for that.

1. It isn't AU run.
  2. Signing up is super easy, Registering for classes is super easy....i.e. instant compared to the 1-2 week process with AU.
  3. Online interface is far superior to the AU blackboard. Everything you need is there, you can track your progress, see what has been assigned, when things are due, ect. Notification pushes can be customized and actually work. List goes on. See Pro #1.
  4. Self-paced classes can be knocked out relatively fast, depending how you approach them.

I second everything here. I was able to knock out 1-2 self paced classes per day when I was teleworking. Far superior to the AU setup where I would finish a class in a couple hours and wait a week for AU to update and allow me to start another class.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just for clarification, the ACSC "top-up" is only required if you do the Leadership/O-3 track, and you get full credit for ACSC if you do the Joint Warfare/O-4 track, correct?

Also, anyone worked on and or/completed the OLMP version since the ASU migration?

4 hours ago, so.it.goes said:

Just for clarification, the ACSC "top-up" is only required if you do the Leadership/O-3 track, and you get full credit for ACSC if you do the Joint Warfare/O-4 track, correct?

Correct

• 2 months later...

Question for reservists currently in or have completed ACSC/OLMP in ASU: do Retirement (ECI) points get automatically updated in vMPF?  Do we still get points for OLMP classes? 

I finished my first class several weeks ago and havent seen anything.  Called a bunch of different numbers between ASU and AU and the only answer I got was to submit a request through mypers and/or contact TFSC.

When I did SOS online a few years ago they auto-updated the points from AU, but since its thru ASU now maybe that doesnt happen.

I can't specifically answer that question, but I did hear of something that, unsurprisingly is jacked up. I guess there is an issue when they upload your points for ACSC.  Apparently, in the month that it's uploaded, any other points (AT/AFTP/etc..) are NOT uploaded.  You'll have to go back and ensure those get added.  I haven't checked if it happened to me, but it did happen to a few squadron mates.  

Note:  If I missed this previously in the thread, I'll assess myself a nice glass of Old Grandad Bonded that I'm already drinking right now. 

• 9 months later...

Currently 3/4 of the way through the OLMP Joint Warfare concentration and a few notes on the current status of the program:

1. The ASU platform is way better than the AU-ran Blackboard. Shocking what happens when the AF just uses a commercially available platform.

2. I've had a wide range of types of instructors from AD mil, retired mil, civilian PhDs, and some that I am confused as to how they found themselves in the adjunct professor for officer PME role. Generally decent instructors, although the instructors have a lot less to do with it than the other students, which brings me to my next point...

3. They need to figure out a way to balance out the classes with backgrounds. WAY too many civilians who have never worn a uniform and clearly only know about the subject we're discussing from the readings that week. I saw that mentioned earlier in the thread and that has definitely not changed. In all of my classes so far there were maybe 1 or 2 other ops types, and it makes discussing joint warfare a little difficult when the lady from A&FRC is one of the students. This program definitely needs to be advertised better to the ops community.

4. If you have any ops background at all you're already going to be ahead of your peers. Most of the other students in the class don't have the slightest clue what is going on and really struggle with the warfighting concepts.

5. It's as much work as you want it to be. For discussion post weeks I normally find a few articles related to my assigned post, skim, pick a few points out and write the post. My formula has been two sources from the readings, one source I found on my own, and one small vignette from personal experience. I save all my discussion posts in a Word doc and use those to write my papers.

6. With the exception of three books I bought for the research class, everything else has been provided online and there is no requirement to buy any books. They give you all the readings then you can supplement your papers with any of the online military journals.

7. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have enrolled in the leadership program as a Capt, done nothing but the core curriculum, then transferred to the Joint Warfare concentration once I had my line number. If you're a Capt out there and need your Masters, this is 100% the route I would take. I have actually learned some things in the classes I've taken that have helped at work.

8. It's a really good deal if your life can support going to school. No ADSC, no cost to you, and you can get JPME I knocked out.

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

I’m looking to get some basic guidance on PME requirements. I am a new transition to the ANG, currently a 2nd year Major from another service. I was told when I transitioned to the Guard I would need to satisfy some mandatory PME prior to being selected for 0-5. I have read the previous posts and was looking for clarification on the requirements to check the boxes for promotion (tried calling the number listed on the AU educational services website… they were not very helpful).

Does OLMP check all the boxes for ACSC (No current Master’s degree)? If not, how much is required in addition to the OLMP degree (ACSC top-off)?

Is there a specific concentration that needs to be completed for 0-4’s to get credit for ACSC?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

The joint warfare concentration checks the IDE/ACSC/JPME Phase 1 boxes I believe.

It is my understanding you can do the ACSC top off if you already have a masters. I can say with 99% certainty it is not required to do the top off after completing the Joint Warfare concentration of OLMP, which is what I’m in now. 

On 5/26/2022 at 9:53 AM, AdamR said:

Greetings,

I’m looking to get some basic guidance on PME requirements. I am a new transition to the ANG, currently a 2nd year Major from another service. I was told when I transitioned to the Guard I would need to satisfy some mandatory PME prior to being selected for 0-5. I have read the previous posts and was looking for clarification on the requirements to check the boxes for promotion (tried calling the number listed on the AU educational services website… they were not very helpful).

Does OLMP check all the boxes for ACSC (No current Master’s degree)? If not, how much is required in addition to the OLMP degree (ACSC top-off)?

Is there a specific concentration that needs to be completed for 0-4’s to get credit for ACSC?

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Joint warfare OLMP checks masters, IDE (ACSC), and JPME I. If you start the leadership track as a captain, you can wait until O4-select and switch to joint warfare to get those credits as well. 

Edited by BeefBears

12 hours ago, Guardian said:

ACSC not required in ANG for promotion to LtCol

Nice to have not need to have. Even a WG/CC DNP doesn’t really matter on the process in the ANG in ROPMA.

One thing to consider if you’re expecting to be full time over the typical O4-O5 period, you will lose out on $25-30k over the 3 yr period from “on time” promotion to ROPMA promotion. So a full time guy should ask himself, “am I willing to pay $30k to not do ACSC?” If you’re part time it’s less of a factor.

Also consider if ROPMA will put you at > 17 yrs, because if so, you’ll now have to do more than 20 to retire as an O5.

Edited by brabus

One thing to consider if you’re expecting to be full time over the typical O4-O5 period, you will lose out on $25-30k over the 3 yr period from “on time” promotion to ROPMA promotion. So a full time guy should ask himself, “am I willing to pay $30k to not do ACSC?” If you’re part time it’s less of a factor.
Also consider if ROPMA will put you at > 17 yrs, because if so, you’ll now have to do more than 20 to retire as an O5.

Another thing to consider on the ANG side is if you have any sort of desire to go beyond O-5. Sure, you’ll probably make it to O-5 as a flyer but that will be the end of the line with no ACSC.

That may be fine for you, but it’s something to consider, especially if your unit sees you as a player for either group command or something at the State HQ level.

In what way?

I’d like to see stats on how many packages went up to ROPMA, with a WG/CC DNP to O-5, and made O-5.

I would bet it’s less than 25%.

I don’t have those stats, but if I was a major contemplating my future chances on O-5, I would not hang my hat on

“Even a WG/CC DNP doesn’t really matter on the process in the ANG in ROPMA. “

My (previous) ANG WG/CC straight up told all his O-4s that without ACSC we would not promote to O-5, period. Sounds like he's at least partially wrong...@Guardian? Appreciate any light others can shed on this issue.

Looking.

If I remember the ANGI 36-2504 omits any requirement or eligibility for ROPMA promotions but in the position vacancy it has a requirement for PME. I think I have provided the reference somewhere in this forum. Just can’t remember where. I remember a blurb (maybe in the AGR handbook or on the promotion form) that says something to the effect of desired not required. For the PV promotion you can also get a waiver.

Depends on what he said. I wasn’t there. Not a ton of absolutes in the guard that can’t be gotten around.

• 7 months later...

Just getting started with the OLMP.  Anybody have an opinion on best order to take the OLMP classes on the joint warfare track? Also, if wanting to double up on classes once that is an option, opinions on best classes to take simultaneously?