Underage Drinking on Active Duty

Vice

Last year (2010) I got into some trouble with the AF. Underage drinking. I was 20 years old, an E3. It happened off base, and it was later thrown out in court. The following duty day after it happened, I went to my first shirt and told her what happened. The commander and stuff got involved, but in the end all I got was an LOR. I wrote a rebuttal (which my shop chief read just today, and gave me props to how well written it was) and pretty much just told my commander what happened. I was at a nearby college, and wanted to make some friends, so I had a few drinks. At the end of the night I realized that I was NOT okay to drive, so I slept in my car, and a police officer found me in my car.

I work MX (ammo), and from what I've heard, this isn't too much of a big deal, especially since I admitted to making a mistake and kept the stupid choices that night to a minimum.

How does this stand in the eyes of a Guard/Reserve interviewer?

1. No earthly idea how your interviewer will respond at all. Depends on the person and how they view alcohol infractions.

2. Admit you made a mistake, because you did by drinking underage. Honesty is the best policy for those types of things, as well as security clearances.

3. Don't act like your mistake is not a big deal to anyone. That will just get you in trouble. Be quiet about it, keep your head down, and work your ass off to improve your reputation.

4. Don't drink until you're 21. By falling asleep in your car, especially if you had your keys on you, consider yourself lucky for not getting a DUI and discipline under Article 15.

I have an under age too, it was also thrown out, but I disclosed anyway, and I was fine, I ended up getting hired. Honestly if everything you said is true, props for not driving. We've been there and I know how tempting the bed can be vs sleeping it off in the car. Anyway, just explain what happened and how you learned from it in the interview, you'll be alright.

You are very lucky, they can hit your for a DUI in many jurisdictions if you have the keys in the car. No matter what a taxi costs, it's always cheaper than the consequences. Smart decision to tell your boss; it is always better to bring you're own bad news. I suspect it will get written off as a youthful indiscretion. I know guys who got picked up for pilot slots with similar stuff on their records, so you have a shot.

You are very lucky, they can hit your for a DUI in many jurisdictions if you have the keys in the car. No matter what a taxi costs, it's always cheaper than the consequences. Smart decision to tell your boss; it is always better to bring you're own bad news. I suspect it will get written off as a youthful indiscretion. I know guys who got picked up for pilot slots with similar stuff on their records, so you have a shot.

Ya to be honest, the few times I had to sleep in the car, I actually put the keys on the ground under the car so that they were not in the cabin with me.

• 6 years later...

Update: got a rated slot after getting busted underage drinking on AD as an E-3 or whatever. 10/10 would do again, if anyone else gets busted for it just own up to it to your commander and don't get caught again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1