BX renovations.....a waste or worth it

lilbigman

AAFES managed to get themselves on my vMPF outprocessing checklist because people were running up huge debts on their military star card and now everybody has to come in to outprocess. Not call, not email, come in so they can verify your star card balance. I called to tell them to sign me off since I don't have a star card and the old (Asian) lady gave me this long winded reason why she couldn't do it without me present. WTFO?!?!

Why?...because somehow your name would change from the one on your outprocessing checklist? In order to sign off on those, all they have to do is log in and sign you off. They could literally cut & paste the name from VPF to check it! Sounds like some old bitty didn't want to use that new-fangled com-pew-tur

I seldom use the BX other than for the food court. Might be picking nits, but my only real gripe is that you go in one BX and they have stuff I'd actually want to eat, Popeyes, Subway, Manchu Wok, but you go in others and it's Robin Hood, Anthony's and Charlie's. If we have brand-name companies willing to put outlets in, why do we keep having a parallel DoD-only type thing with the off-brands? If Subway will put in a store on base, why do we need to keep supporting a Charlie's subs chain?

I seldom use the BX other than for the food court. Might be picking nits, but my only real gripe is that you go in one BX and they have stuff I'd actually want to eat, Popeyes, Subway, Manchu Wok, but you go in others and it's Robin Hood, Anthony's and Charlie's. If we have brand-name companies willing to put outlets in, why do we keep having a parallel DoD-only type thing with the off-brands? If Subway will put in a store on base, why do we need to keep supporting a Charlie's subs chain?

I will eat Robin Hood and/or Charlie's any day of the week over Subway :vomit: .

Edited by Herkbier

If Subway will put in a store on base, why do we need to keep supporting a Charlie's subs chain?

Charley's is actually a real restaurant chain... http://www.charleys.com

I remember growing up that it was only BK, Anthony's pizza, Robin Hood, and Frank's Franks. When Charleys came on to the scene, it was a pretty good change of pace. I guess its been around long enough that the newness has worn off.

The stuff on base is okay for a quick lunch, but I wouldn't drive to base to eat there. And if I want to eat something else at lunch besides what they have on base, I don't whine about on base selection, I just press off base and get what I want.

Edited by jazzdude

I guess some of you haven't been to the abortion of a thing that they call the BX at DLF have you? I was told its fairly new to. It was easier to just drive the 15 mins across town to fight the Mexicans at wally world than shop at that place.

Edited by cragspider

It's definitely cheaper to shop at the commissary at Charleston versus the Publix or Piggly Wiggly near my house, even after the 22 mile drive each way. There are usually better than a $1 difference in the price of many of the items we buy and the meat prices are significantly cheaper. And yes, I do figure in what it costs me in gas/travel and it's still better. However, that's where any benefit ends.

The BX, even after the renovations and increase in size still sucks. You never can find what you what, when you do it's not as cheap as if buying off-base, and you can almost never count on the AAFES price match when you do try to buy something comparable there. It's like AAFES has their own model numbers on electronics that are just one number off what looks like an identical item carried by the other big box electronics stores. Hence, they never have to price match anything that is worth going through the hassle for. Then there's the new food court we got consisting of Anthony's, Charley's, and BK. Why the fvck did we get a BK when you can walk out the main gate and across the street to BK? How about a Subway, Popeye's, or Taco Hell instead. I rarely eat at the Food Court, but it just doesn't make sense.

IMO, AAFES just isn't that big of benefit and really isn't worth fighting for. If Congress is still looking for a way to cut some more expenses, they can have AAFES if it means my retirement goes forever untouched. Even though I still plan to live in the Charleston area when a retire, having the BX there (or near any other place I would live) has never been a deciding factor. In fact, I kinda hate AFFES due to how they figure into your moving claims. If the person doing your claim can find a comparable /similar item on the AAFES website, they can use that as your reimbursement costs. That's even if you're original item was some brand that AAFES doesn't sell, costs 10x what the AAFES item does, and is of significantly better quality than anything AAFES would ever have in their catalog.

On-base childcare- used it for awhile when I was stationed at Tinker...big mistake. My kid always threw a fit about having to go back and would come home a couple of times a week with bite marks that the workers never seemed to see. I didn't feel sorry for the kid he bit the shit out of one day. Had to pick him up early for that, but guess what... Changed him out of his clothes and found a bite on his shoulder that was turning into a huge mouth shaped bruise. Little fvcker deserved what my kid gave him. We started using an off-base church daycare afterwards that was MUCH cheaper and he actually learned stuff while he was there.

Gas Station- it's somewhat convenient and it's also the Class 6 at Charleston. The gas is never cheaper unless you use a Star Card. That's all you can say about it.

AAFES partially funds your FSS activities. Sure, the posters have pictures of money going to play-grounds in base-housing or new ski equipment at Outdoor Rec. The reality on most bases is that the bulk of the money goes into the Child Development Centers.

I don't support those institutions either. There's freedom in not relying on the AF to meet every need you have.

I can handle paying $0.50 extra for a bag of dog food knowing that the profit goes to SSgt Snuffy's toddler vice to Bentonville.

One person's children are not someone else's burden. Learn from George Carlin.

Are you serious right now? Arthritic old farts?

Did I strike a chord?

Then we should get rid of AAFEES and the CDC. Why do we need a chain of 14 stores to support this when we could do it better with one business that we don't even have to worry about running? We contract everything else out. Why not the stuff that has little mission impact?

Shack.

You don't think having affordable and accesable child care on base has mission impact?

Nope. There are plenty of places you can take a rugrat besides the CDC.

• Upvote 2

So I returned from my deployment to see the McConnell BX under renovations. I really wouldn't be saying anything except that it was under renovations when I left. They are adding a food court, GNC, and who knows that else in the BX. Guess my thoughts are:

1) Considering they have the space to build a new and better BX, and it would have been cheaper (yes, go figure that one out), why wouldn't they go with that plan instead of renovations.

2) If you are doing renovations to an already sad and pretty pathetic BX, wouldn't you want to make it somewhat BIGGER than what was originally there?

For those that have been to or at this location, I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Personally, I use Sam's, Dillon's, and other locations besides the BX. Not going to say I wouldn't or don't utilize them, but if you are going to get a bigger military population to your business, aren't these two simple things you would consider?

Thoughts

Pitts already covered most of the points. Just to clarify a few things:

1. AAFES must fund new consturction and while they aren't explicity under normal MILCON rules, anything over $750K requires congressional notification. Guess where that is headed in the current budget climate. If they keep their funding under $750K, their approval authorities reside at a lower level (although they still sometimes require congressional notification after the fact.) As Pitts mentioned, with the higher prices of steel, $750K will buy you a nice garden shed that meets all building code when executed in compliance with federal contracting regulations. Now for the real gem...if the AF owns the building, the AF is responsible for paying for repairs/renovations out of O&M money.

2. If this is an AF owned facitiliy, repair money can be used for renovations if no additional footprint is constructed. Based on that, AAFES may choose not to spend their NAF funds on a new facility if they can pressure the AF enough to fund the renovation of the current facility...but you can't add to the square footage. See where this is going?

All of this is driven by congress, so there is very little that the local CE or even wing have power over. But surely these inane rules don't apply to actual combat support, right? Wrong...you really can't go to war without breaking a host of construction laws. But I won't go into detail on that in a public forum.

AAFES partially funds your FSS activities. Sure, the posters have pictures of money going to play-grounds in base-housing or new ski equipment at Outdoor Rec. The reality on most bases is that the bulk of the money goes into the Child Development Centers. I'm pretty sure that bases that said "Just go shop at WalMart. Child Development Center closes 1 Oct due to lack of funding." would be really crappy places to be for our troops with young kids. I'm not saying purchase every roll of TP and every tool at AAFES...I'm saying know where the money goes. I can handle paying $0.50 extra for a bag of dog food knowing that the profit goes to SSgt Snuffy's toddler vice to Bentonville.

Not really sure why I should care about subsidizing SSgt Snuffy's kids. Perhaps he should have thought about his economic situation before cranking out 4-6 kids in rapid succession. While my wife likes to shop at the Commissary (except around payday as all of the paycheck to paycheck people crowd the place) we never shop at the BX. Never found it to be worth it. And I don't buy gas on base as they don't have diesel or 91+ octane gas. And the Class 6 isn't a very good deal and doesn't offer the stuff I want.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not really sure why I should care about subsidizing SSgt Snuffy's kids. Perhaps he should have thought about his economic situation before cranking out 4-6 kids in rapid succession.

I love how you change "SSgt Snuffy's toddler" to SSgt Snuffy's kids (4-6 of them). Reading and hyperbole fail.

Not really sure why I should care about subsidizing SSgt Snuffy's kids. Perhaps he should have thought about his economic situation before cranking out 4-6 kids in rapid succession. While my wife likes to shop at the Commissary (except around payday as all of the paycheck to paycheck people crowd the place) we never shop at the BX. Never found it to be worth it. And I don't buy gas on base as they don't have diesel or 91+ octane gas. And the Class 6 isn't a very good deal and doesn't offer the stuff I want.

...And the haircut place always cuts my hair too short. And I only use the dry cleaner for uniforms because when enlisted people take their stuff there I have to wait forever. And the speed limit on base is too low. And I just hate the terrible inconvenience of all the additional services offered to me. Not to mention nobody at the bowling alley can actually bowl...

AAFES = Angry Asian Female Employment Service

FIFY. Call me racist, but I'm pretty sure the same two Korean ladies work at every alterations shop in the DoD. There's the grumpy lady who works at the counter, speaks some English and handles all of the cash flow. And then there's the slightly more personable lady who works in the back, doing most of the actual alterations, who doesn't speak any English at all. This duo is as enduring as C-3PO/R2-D2, Abbott and Costello, Cheech and Chong, etc.

• Upvote 4

Call me racist, but I'm pretty sure the same two Korean ladies work at every alterations shop in the DoD...

Ha, that's spot on. Have any of you ever tried to pick up your alterations without the receipt/ticket? I'm pretty sure it's easier to talk your way out of an on-base DUI than pick up uniforms without a receipt.

• Upvote 2

Not really sure why I should care about subsidizing SSgt Snuffy's kids. Perhaps he should have thought about his economic situation before cranking out 4-6 kids in rapid succession.

I couldn't agree more. I hate when people try to use kids as leverage to try to pry money out of my wallet either directly or indirectly. If I liked kids, I would have some. Unfortunately, the only thing I like less than the prospect of my own kids is YOUR kids.

How's about instead of pumping more money into the daycare, they roll up a few pennies and fix the bridge to the hunting area on base that has been washed out for several years, with no funds to fix it?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I couldn't agree more. I hate when people try to use kids as leverage to try to pry money out of my wallet either directly or indirectly. If I liked kids, I would have some. Unfortunately, the only thing I like less than the prospect of my own kids is YOUR kids.

How's about instead of pumping more money into the daycare, they roll up a few pennies and fix the bridge to the hunting area on base that has been washed out for several years, with no funds to fix it?

Agreed, and I have a kid.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?