What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

• 1 month later...

Here's a fun evals update for you. Hopefully it will be transparent to most people but if you have a lot of subordinates or if you're blessed with a queep lord position like me, get ready for a reaming. All of these OPR changes coming down the pike this year.

-A new form

-narrative format

-Static close outs (ever wanted all your captains to close out on the same day?! What a great way to spread out the work)

but wait there's more!!

Stay tuned for the imminent relaunch of:

Myeval 2, electric horse abortion boogaloo

Can't wait to spend all year figuring out how to hit this moving target.. rather than actually getting better at hitting real moving targets. 

/EndExecRant

26 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Here's a fun evals update for you. Hopefully it will be transparent to most people but if you have a lot of subordinates or if you're blessed with a queep lord position like me, get ready for a reaming. All of these OPR changes coming down the pike this year.

-A new form

-narrative format

-Static close outs (ever wanted all your captains to close out on the same day?! What a great way to spread out the work)

but wait there's more!!

Can't wait to spend all year figuring out how to hit this moving target.. rather than actually getting better at hitting real moving targets. 

/EndExecRant

Don't worry, youll just have to do a legacy AF707 and a new myEval report just to ensure a report is written on the closeout date. Man, glad I got my DD-214 this year =D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Don't worry, youll just have to do a legacy AF707 and a new myEval report just to ensure a report is written on the closeout date. Man, glad I got my DD-214 this year =D

you're not joking.. my base is still un-f-ing OPRs that were stranded in limbo when they euthanized myeval v1 last year.  But don't worry let's bring that train wreck back along with a litany of formatting and process changes. 

The old way wasn't good by any stretch, but it's amazing how when we change/revamp something its almost exclusively for the worse. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pooter said:

-A new form

-narrative format

but wait there's more!!

/EndExecRant

I think narrative only and static close out dates are good changes. Narrative only will cut down in the amount of work perfecting that bullet that no one will read. Static close outs, at least you can plan your workload surges. It should also reduce the amount of strat gamesmanship as well.

MyEval 0-2.0? Complete cluster fuck. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dream big said:

I think narrative only and static close out dates are good changes. Narrative only will cut down in the amount of work perfecting that bullet that no one will read. Static close outs, at least you can plan your workload surges. It should also reduce the amount of strat gamesmanship as well.

MyEval 0-2.0? Complete cluster fuck. 

Except the narrative has a character counter so now we just have to gnats ass the character count instead of the line spacing. I trust we'll find a way to make it awful too. At least there was bullet buddy for the previous OPR forms that would auto lengthen or shorten bullets for you. Now I have to think of actual English words to shack the character count? No thank you 

As for the static close out, I'd personally prefer an even workload spread around rather than the all out shitstorm the captain close out is gonna be. Maybe it'll work out nice some orgs but in my experience flying ops squadrons are ~75% captains, none of whom ever lead turn their OPR with enough time. 

7 hours ago, Pooter said:

-A new form

-narrative format

but wait there's more!!

/EndExecRant

When's that POS turning back on?  We're feverishly trying to get our OPR's done and in the system before the new one goes live (again...).  We're "a bit" behind because we chose to scoff them until they figured out wtf they were gonna do with that coat hangar abortion that is myeval. 

On another note, why do we even do an OPR every year, especially in the Guard?  At least at my squadron, almost noone does any assignments (staff/NGB/etc...) off-station, we all know who should go where/when, so it seriously has no bearing on anything we do.  I think every 3-5 year OPR's would suffice.  Ever tried to write an OPR for a part timer who does exactly what is asked of a part timer and nothing more (most of our part timers have no other duties than flying)?   "Makes his sorties....most months...."  

4 hours ago, Pooter said:

As for the static close out, I'd personally prefer an even workload spread around rather than the all out shitstorm the captain close out is gonna be. Maybe it'll work out nice some orgs but in my experience flying ops squadrons are ~75% captains, none of whom ever lead turn their OPR with enough time. 

This is actually one of the nice things for the ARC units, at least mine.  We're fairly evenly spread on rank, though we have about 1/4 the Captains as we do Maj and LT Col, which are even split.  Rather than having dates strewn about the year, it's a bit more manageable knowing exactly when they all close out.  Generally many of the items we have to deal with in the ARC and a royal PITA because it's designed by the AD, who doesn't think about our considerations.  So this is finally one our favor...though, based on your example above, it further points out why we shouldn't be required to have the same setup as the AD.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Pooter said:

At least there was bullet buddy for the previous OPR forms that would auto lengthen or shorten bullets for you

What!?!?! And here I was back in the day walking uphill both ways in 6.9’ of snow to go write OPRs the old fashioned way. Character count - the AF just can’t help itself, it has to make everything as retarded as possible. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

When's that POS turning back on?  We're feverishly trying to get our OPR's done and in the system before the new one goes live (again...).  We're "a bit" behind because we chose to scoff them until they figured out wtf they were gonna do with that coat hangar abortion that is myeval. 

God bless the full timers doing the j o b. Better you than me!

2 minutes ago, nunya said:

God bless the full timers doing the j o b. Better you than me!

I'm a life-long DSG, just stuck in a full timer body right because of an activation.  I'll soon be back to living the good life as a DSG for a few months until I retire.  Even still, our FLT/CC's are all DSG's (by design) and still write almost all of the OPR's, I just verify and sign lol.  The new myEval system will be my predecessors problem.  But 100% agree with your sentiment!

6 hours ago, Pooter said:

Except the narrative has a character counter so now we just have to gnats ass the character count instead of the line spacing. I trust we'll find a way to make it awful too. At least there was bullet buddy for the previous OPR forms that would auto lengthen or shorten bullets for you. Now I have to think of actual English words to shack the character count? No thank you 

Use chat GPT. It's pretty good at stuff like that. 

• Upvote 1

I personally like having a SCOD. It was how we timed FITREPs in the Navy and it makes planning/anticipating the completion much easier, even with large groups of junior officers. Moreso, with large groups of O-3, etc, it’ll eliminate anyone getting forgotten about or overlooked when it’s time for an OPR. 

Edited by Bigred
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FourFans said:

Sweet Mother Of God GIFs | Tenor

Genius!  That would have been life changing for OPRs and awards back in my day!

AI is going to be life changing for so many people. There are a lot of admin task we do day to day in the AF that AI can solve in a matter of seconds. There are a lot of tactical applications that haven't even been investigated yet. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FLEA said:

AI is going to be life changing for so many people. There are a lot of admin task we do day to day in the AF that AI can solve in a matter of seconds. There are a lot of tactical applications that haven't even been investigated yet. 

watch the first video here...pretty cool stuff

5 hours ago, FLEA said:

If ChatGPT can do the job of an exec and pump out PME essays, it follows that AI will eventually take all the #1 strats/DGs and soon the CSAF will be a chat bot. Troubling times we live in...

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeefBears said:

If ChatGPT can do the job of an exec and pump out PME essays, it follows that AI will eventually take all the #1 strats/DGs and soon the CSAF will be a chat bot. Troubling times we live in...

Lol I'll take a useful AI in leadership roles over the dg hunter xmas planner douche canoes we currently promote 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BeefBears said:

3 hours ago, Pooter said:

Lol I'll take a useful AI in leadership roles over the dg hunter xmas planner douche canoes we currently promote 😂

...or AI sends out AFIT e-vites and plans our Christmas, excuse me, Seasonal parties...then receives DG, but finally it's overlooked because it was lost in the MyEval switchover, was locked out from creating an eval because initial feedback never occurred, and finally submits itself for VSP/TERA which AFPC approves not realizing its in a 1-deep rhythm code, just seeing a 16G core AFSC.  The AI then works over Wall Street/Lombard Street/Dallas Street/OPEC/etc and charters a SpaceX one-way to Mars in a Hot Red Tesla...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ChatGPT already works well for OPR bullets and I’m sure it’ll be good at the narrative format too!

On 3/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, SocialD said:

The new myEval system will be my predecessors problem.

This man is a lifelong Guars Bum and invented time travel, bravo! 😆

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Swizzle said:

Christmas, excuse me, Seasonal parties...

Funny -- I had my JAG try to tell me as a Wg/CC that I couldn't have "Christmas" party or or other Christmas stuff. I made him take out his official government calendar read to me what it said on the December 25 box. That made him set his scotch down and slink out of my big fat office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, skibum said:

Funny -- I had my JAG try to tell me as a Wg/CC that I couldn't have "Christmas" party or or other Christmas stuff. I made him take out his official government calendar read to me what it said on the December 25 box. That made him set his scotch down and slink out of my big fat office.

OPM still lists Christmas: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/federal-holidays/#url=2023

But we have two independence days now? Thought it was Juneteenth/Emancipation Day. Guess either name is divisive...what's in name anyways!? (...walking slowly away)

It kind of makes sense Re: Juneteenth, although having both be an Independence Day is weird and confusing.

Just using the word Juneteenth makes sense to me and if people don’t know they can learn. I had never heard of that word/concept until I was an adult…southern public school education and all. Lots of foreign holidays are random proper noun words rather than descriptive holidays like most of ours are. If people can understand Halloween they can understand Juneteenth.

Emancipation didn’t equal independence, and that’s kind of the whole point of the holiday. Lincoln emancipated all of the American slaves on Jan 1 1863, yet not all were free until Jun 19 1865.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Lincoln emancipated all of the American slaves on Jan 1 1863, yet not all were free until Jun 19 1865.

I think that southern public school education is working against you again…Lincoln did not free all the slaves in 1863.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Lincoln emancipated all of the American slaves on Jan 1 1863

So you haven’t read the Emancipation Proclamation, huh?

22 hours ago, nsplayr said:

yet not all were free until Jun 19 1865.

Wrong again. 

• Upvote 1