What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

11 hours ago, FLEA said:

Why does everyone think Korea is a bad assignment!?!?!?

Well for one, I didn’t join the South East Asia Military. The flying sucks. It isolates people from their families, it’s an ordeal to move there, especially with pets, and isn’t like American culture. Germany was an awesome assignment, but much more American. I feel bad for the dudes on AD if/when they can DM and trap you between moody and Korea. The AF needs to clue into the fact people don’t want to live in the middle of nowhere/10,000 miles away from their family members. If we can put fighters in one of the largest cities in America (Phoenix), then clearly they don’t need to be in tons of shit holes like Moody, Shaw, cannon, etc. 

Edited by Hawg15
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hawg15 said:

Well for one, I didn’t join the South North East Asia Military. The flying sucks. It isolates people from their families, it’s an ordeal to move there, especially with pets, and isn’t like American culture. Germany was an awesome assignment, but much more American. I feel bad for the dudes on AD if/when they can DM and trap you between moody and Korea. The AF needs to clue into the fact people don’t want to live in the middle of nowhere/10,000 miles away from their family members. If we can put fighters in one of the largest cities in America (Phoenix), then clearly they don’t need to be in tons of shit holes like Moody, Shaw, cannon, etc. 

*AHEM*

17 minutes ago, panchbarnes said:

*AHEM*

Are you trying to say 6-9 jack and cokes affect my geography skills? Well I guess South East Asia is where the war will be. After everyone on the peninsula is dead. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

Are you trying to say 6-9 jack and cokes affect my geography skills? Well I guess South East Asia is where the war will be. After everyone on the peninsula is dead. 

Your points were all fair, it just astonishes me how different people can interpret assignments. I personally didnt like Germany as much as Korea, but I know many people would find that backward. I've never met anyone that likes Cannon though. 

• Upvote 1

Your points were all fair, it just astonishes me how different people can interpret assignments. I personally didnt like Germany as much as Korea, but I know many people would find that backward. I've never met anyone that likes Cannon though. 

People don’t like AFSOC’s self-proclaimed premier CONUS installation?????

It always drove me nuts when people at the regularly scheduled ‘fix the AF CGO forum’ complained about assignments of three years being too short. It was always people from real horrible locations like Hickam, or name your base in FL, Etc. I wanted nothing more than for them to eat their words and spend 5 years at Cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, HAWDINGL said:

It always drove me nuts when people at the regularly scheduled ‘fix the AF CGO forum’ complained about assignments of three years being too short. It was always people from real horrible locations like Hickam, or name your base in FL, Etc. I wanted nothing more than for them to eat their words and spend 5 years at Cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean they wouldn’t enjoy the stench of cow @ss when the winds were from the wrong direction?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, FLEA said:

I’ve met a couple people that said they prefer Cannon over Hurlburt. Every time I had to restrain myself from immediately punching them in the face. I get Florida/beach isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but come on. I’ve always been curious what the data shows for 7 day opt rates to places like Cannon compared to the garden spots. 

14 hours ago, HAWDINGL said:

Lol, AFSOC has tried to claim it's better than Hurby? That's rich. I spent 3 years there (Palace Chased to avoid spending indefinitely longer), left 6 years ago and haven't missed it since.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, viper154 said:

I’ve met a couple people that said they prefer Cannon over Hurlburt. Every time I had to restrain myself from immediately punching them in the face. I get Florida/beach isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but come on. I’ve always been curious what the data shows for 7 day opt rates to places like Cannon compared to the garden spots. 

I know a couple of folks that liked it out there due to family situations (aging parents that lived in west Texas), and in every group there’s gonna be at least a few weirdos, but yes in general HRT > CVS in every measurable way as far as the location is concerned. YMMV with specific units and missions.

I made the best of my brief time there and my unit was great, but that assignment did directly cause my separation from Active Duty...I 7-day opt’d but was sent anyways for approx 10 months 🙄 Water under the bridge but hey, it also led me to my new home in the Guard and the grass here is much, much greener. Amor Fati.

I fully agree that shit locations are a drain (just ask the Army!) but if we’re being honest the AF can’t do anything about that. Congress controls the BRAC and Big Blue tried to get rid of Cannon before the NM delegation squashed that bright idea.

Edited by nsplayr

I was at HRT for thirty one years, I did do two years with the 1st SOS so technically 29. Twenty one on AD and ten as a contractor. I witnessed everything I liked about that place slowly fade away. I guess I'm one of the crazies that like Cannon better. I do live 35 miles from the base.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Long time lurker... I was also at HRT for too long.  At least Cannon has some dry heat and you are away from AFSOC HQ.

Hurlburt Cons
- Its southern Alabama
- Incredible humidity (see above)
- I-98 is overcrowded and they keep building more.. drunk southerners like to crash on the bridges which are huge choke points
- Tourists... and not the good looking kind
- The wing has slowly degraded into "big air force" while still maintaining an incredible deployment/TDY tempo
- Live in Destin with terrible traffic, Fort Walton Beach with crime, or Navarre with traffic and not much going on... Niceville is probably the best option

Hurlburt Pros
- The beach?

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2020 at 9:01 AM, hindsight2020 said:

...and yet the USAF still contends retention isn't affected by basing choices or lack thereof. *Laughs in AF 1288*

I separated primarily due to diminishing "good" locations in which to continue my career. So yeah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BeefBears said:

Hurlburt Pros
- The beach?

I’d rather have a beach with an ocean than a beach with no ocean, but all the cow farts you can stand! And how is that “10% of the local population is a registered gang member” going in Clovis?

4 minutes ago, Sprkt69 said:

I’d rather have a beach with an ocean than a beach with no ocean, but all the cow farts you can stand! And how is that “10% of the local population is a registered gang member” going in Clovis?

I just pretend I am part of a breaking bad episode. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BeefBears said:

Long time lurker... I was also at HRT for too long.  At least Cannon has some dry heat and you are away from AFSOC HQ.

Hurlburt Cons
- Its southern Alabama
- Incredible humidity (see above)
- I-98 is overcrowded and they keep building more.. drunk southerners like to crash on the bridges which are huge choke points
- Tourists... and not the good looking kind
- The wing has slowly degraded into "big air force" while still maintaining an incredible deployment/TDY tempo
- Live in Destin with terrible traffic, Fort Walton Beach with crime, or Navarre with traffic and not much going on... Niceville is probably the best option

Hurlburt Pros
- The beach?

Hurlburt pros-jobs for spouses, schools that aren’t horrible, shopping options besides Walmart. Healthcare you don’t have to drive 2 hours for,  2 airports within 45 minutes. More than 3 restaurants, no cow shit. No dust storms. All sorts of beach and water activities. 

your going to wrong spots if you don’t see some great looking tourists. 

ya it’s hot and the traffic can suck. Traffic is a issue anywhere that has a population. I’d much rather be here. But hey, I have a boat, so I enjoy it. 

2 hours ago, viper154 said:

Hurlburt pros-jobs for spouses, schools that aren’t horrible, shopping options besides Walmart. Healthcare you don’t have to drive 2 hours for,  2 airports within 45 minutes. More than 3 restaurants, no cow shit. No dust storms. All sorts of beach and water activities. 

your going to wrong spots if you don’t see some great looking tourists. 

ya it’s hot and the traffic can suck. Traffic is a issue anywhere that has a population. I’d much rather be here. But hey, I have a boat, so I enjoy it. 

Good points. Cannon is on a whole other level in a lot of other ways.

On 7/23/2020 at 9:38 PM, Hawg15 said:

Well for one, I didn’t join the South East Asia Military. The flying sucks. It isolates people from their families, it’s an ordeal to move there, especially with pets, and isn’t like American culture. Germany was an awesome assignment, but much more American. I feel bad for the dudes on AD if/when they can DM and trap you between moody and Korea. The AF needs to clue into the fact people don’t want to live in the middle of nowhere/10,000 miles away from their family members. If we can put fighters in one of the largest cities in America (Phoenix), then clearly they don’t need to be in tons of shit holes like Moody, Shaw, cannon, etc. 

truly enjoyed my time there and would love to go back if I can get to the U-2

10 hours ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

truly enjoyed my time there and would love to go back if I can get to the U-2

It's worth noting that in the last 2 years some huge QOL changes happened in Korea as well. Curfew is permanently gone so far as the order is rescinded and would need reissued with new justification for reinstating it. The bases have spent a lot of money upgrading facilities and morale areas. They've opened a significant number of more command sponsored billets. I want to say ~30-50%. Yongsan has moved to Humphreys which added a significant capacity for medical care and other services to the Osan local area. You automatically get to live off base if you plan to be there longer than a year. So lots of good changes. 

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

It's worth noting that in the last 2 years some huge QOL changes happened in Korea as well. Curfew is permanently gone so far as the order is rescinded and would need reissued with new justification for reinstating it. The bases have spent a lot of money upgrading facilities and morale areas. They've opened a significant number of more command sponsored billets. I want to say ~30-50%. Yongsan has moved to Humphreys which added a significant capacity for medical care and other services to the Osan local area. You automatically get to live off base if you plan to be there longer than a year. So lots of good changes. 

It's still Korea...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1