What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

... Plus I’m a F-15 crew chief by trade, so with that being said I want to fly fighters. I want to have a fair shot of flying fighters through my preformace at flight school; not by if a unit likes me or not.

I cannot caution against that thinking enough... follow on assignments for active duty have at least as much (if not sometimes more) to do with luck and timing as they do with your talent/performance at UPT. The guard/reserve is the only way to secure your fighter.
Of course if you aren't good enough, it will never happen. But if you are good enough, you still may not get it. Don't take that risk solely for your pride.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Baseops Network mobile app

44 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

I thought it was ok. Some pretty good shots, especially the B-1 with Vegas backdrop.

But running it past some current and qual’d dudes next time will prevent lines like “strapping on our nation’s business.”

You have something against "strapping it on?" Oh wait...

The problem is, where has that been the last 10 years? PA puts out bs bush league videos about A1C snuffies contributions to “fill in the blank retarded snowflake day” or how much of hard charger the finance dude is that looses my paperwork, all the while stiff arming the ops guys that actually put warheads on foreheads/hack all the other cool/war required missions. God forbid we recognize that pilots and real world missions are more important than some 9-5 paper pushers feelings. How many official AF videos have you seen of kick ass flying? Few if none. It’s sad the best flying videos are from UPT studs/bros in the ops squadrons with a go pro posted to YouTube. 

Its a cool video, I appreciate the effort, not being sarcastic, but it’s the equivalent of being offered a band aid after falling into a industrial meat grinder. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I cannot caution against that thinking enough... follow on assignments for active duty have at least as much (if not sometimes more) to do with luck and timing as they do with your talent/performance at UPT. The guard/reserve is the only way to secure your fighter.

Of course if you aren't good enough, it will never happen. But if you are good enough, you still may not get it. Don't take that risk solely for your pride.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Baseops Network mobile app

Real talk: Why would you consider AD if you can rush Guard units in this climate? Fighter discussion aside, go Guard all day, every day.

• Like 1

Loved the video. It just seems so empty after a decade of “you’re replaceable”, “if you don’t like it quit”, and having to fight everyone in every other organization just to get some support. I wish them the best, but I’m glad that I am out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Very well done.  With that said, an alternate ending:

For many of you it started as a childhood dream, maybe even a calling, you’ll never forget the day you took the oath, the day you were selected for flight training, that first solo, or that pride you felt when you earned your wings.  

When you reported to your first operational assignment and joined your squadron, you became part of a dysfunctional family and realized there was so much more to your AF life than flying.  Maybe you even started a family of your own and fought with Tricare and MPF to enroll them in DEERS.  

Your first deployment was a combination of nervousness and excitement.  Your second through fifth deployments were sheer boredom.  Leaving loved ones was hard, but camaraderie was high, except for the time you deployed alone through BWI with the Army masses on an ITDY.  You were focused on building PowerPoint slides, focused on your next “Friday” at the Muff, and focused on what happened to the mission you came into the Air Force to do.

You returned home to reintegration checklists, more OREs, ORIs, more wing staff meetings, and fewer flying hours.  Squadron exec, group exec, wing exec, DTS expert, MICT chief.  It wasn’t easy and it only got more challenging, but still, you continued to serve because you had an ADSC.  Competing everyday with finance, comm, and MPF to complete the most basic of tasks.  While looking out for your teammates, your wingmen, your family, and your nation.  

For being willing to strap on your nation’s business, for the sacrifices you and your families have made, and the sacrifices you will make.  Thank you.  We’re the best damn Air Force on the planet in spite of ourselves, and with you as a min-running TR in the Command Post, our slides are still gonna show green.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Loved the video. It just seems so empty after a decade of “you’re replaceable”, “if you don’t like it quit”, and having to fight everyone in every other organization just to get some support. I wish them the best, but I’m glad that I am out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I saw the video on FBook and actually liked it, wondering if it was going to be in the “good” AF thread or the “bad”, I guess the masses have spoken.  I was just wondering if the AF was finally recognizing it has pilots versus the whole bullshit we are all wingmen.  Want us around?  Want us in charge?  Then recognize it.

Or the generals can just keep running stuff like it was when they were mid level officers.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1

This video was what the Air Force was up through my first deployment. Nunya nailed it with the alternate reality. The longer I stayed in the more the dream wilted into a gilded shadow of the experience I thought it was. It makes me sad to think about it. It's like being in that final phase of a relationship where you remember how awesome the initial romance was but now you know she's cheating on you and you're to afraid to say anything or leave, but regardless in the next few months, the fling will be over and youre gonna cradle yourself in a period of self loathing gym gains buried in cacoon creatine shakes and Maxim mags. FML.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nunya said:

Very well done.  With that said, an alternate ending:

Nunya, you captured our frustration extremely well. I agree, the video resonated with me and why I joined. Unfortunately, my last few years on AD weren’t like the video. They’re exactly as you described. So I quit.

• Like 1

Submitted DTS voucher. Hotel receipt should have been placed under substantiated documents instead of expense receipts. Voucher is corrected in 3 mins and signed by me. SSgt nuts who deals with DTS goes home and this was around 1330. Really? Are DTS reps not allowed to simply move a document? 

Edited by Shazaam

1 minute ago, Shazaam said:

Submitted DTS voucher. Hotel receipt should have been placed under substantiated documents instead of expense receipts. Voucher is corrected in 3 mins and signed by me. SSgt nuts who deals with DTS goes home and this was around 1330. Really? Are people not allowed to simply move a document?

If it's not under substantiating documents the AO can't see it.

33 minutes ago, LookieRookie said:

If it's not under substantiating documents the AO can't see it.

I put the document under receipts because it was a hotel receipt. She was able to see it because she told me to move it. Grrrr

Edited by Shazaam

1 hour ago, Shazaam said:

Submitted DTS voucher. Hotel receipt should have been placed under substantiated documents instead of expense receipts. Voucher is corrected in 3 mins and signed by me. SSgt nuts who deals with DTS goes home and this was around 1330. Really? Are DTS reps not allowed to simply move a document? 

This is one of my bigger complaints with DTS.  Also why can't they pull back rejected vouchers?  I had one rejected because the finance chick saw that my orders were from another squadron (I was on alert order with another squadron) and just assumed I uploaded the wrong orders.  I just said I guess I'll resubmit it in a month when I finish airline training.  I guess our base didn't get their kick back from citibank that month.   

I returned from TDY Sunday night. Submitted the voucher Monday morning. Was paid Tuesday morning. 

Of course I’ve had the odd voucher that didn’t nicely fit the mission that took a couple days to figure out. But generally I get paid on time just fine. 

8 hours ago, Homestar said:

I returned from TDY Sunday night. Submitted the voucher Monday morning. Was paid Tuesday morning. 

Of course I’ve had the odd voucher that didn’t nicely fit the mission that took a couple days to figure out. But generally I get paid on time just fine. 

Returned last Friday morning (19 April) from TDY  Submitted voucher from home on Friday (19 April) around 1300. Reviewed Monday by RM office. I email AO Wednesday to review. He kicks it back on Friday, April 26. I resubmit within a few mins the changes he requested and then the original "Reviewer" kicked it back a few minutes later. I called her and my hotel receipt needed to be moved under substantiated documents and removed as an expense. Completed changes in 3 mins and resubmitted around 1230. Chances are the Reviewer in the RM office bailed on a Friday because things went radio silent after. We have an RM office with 2 E's that deals with DTS for every squadron in the Group.

Maybe you got paid because you have O's running DTS opposed to E's who bolt after lunch. Some E's do things at lightning snail speeds I've noticed. 

Edited by Shazaam

5 hours ago, Homestar said:

If you have Es bolting after lunch your problems are greater than DTS

Somewhere, there is an O who should be supervising his/her Es. Let’s make sure the root cause analysis doesn’t stop at the wrong level.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SuperWSO said:

Somewhere, there is an O who should be supervising his/her Es. Let’s make sure the root cause analysis doesn’t stop at the wrong level.

I am 100% for certain the Resource Management (RM) office is run by E's. No O's in sight the few times I have visited the office.

Reminds me a certain SARM office that had those types of business hours. Guess who put an end to SARM group PT and their weekly group breakfast. The whole office would be gone for breakfast. The CC, SS, and CCF all backed me up. 

Edited by Shazaam